Cannes to Monte Carlo Train

Kathy, I am on the road so don't have my good maps. But in Cannes, you can walk to the train station in about 20 min or take a quick taxi. There is one train line that spans the coast and the train goes from Cannes to Monte Carlo with stops at other interesting places such as Antibes and Nice. If your only goal is to go to those major towns I would recommend using the train. We always rent cars in Cannes, but that is because we like to drive away from the larger towns and go to smaller places like St Paul de Vence. You can walk to most of the major rental car offices although some (like Europcar) are about 1 mile (its flat, easy and through town). Its usually possible to get a taxi, but Cannes is still a pretty sleeply town early in the morning.

Hank

As Hank said, the train station is about a 20 min walk through town. We used the train to see Eze and Monte Carlo in October and it worked out perfectly! Easy on and off stops but on our journey back was quite crowded!! I don't think I have ever seen that many people crunched into one car of a train! :)

• 2 months later...

Two years ago the round trip train fare from Villefranche to Monte Carlo was a little less than 4 Euros and the journey takes approximately 15 min each way. A taxi? Hmmm. You better get a 2nd mortgage. Its hard to get a French taxi to go around the block for less than 20 Euros, and Monte Carlo it a bit further. Renting your own car (self drive) will cost you about $100 for a day (plus gas at $9 + per gallon). A car and driver is negotiable but would be in the hundreds of Euros.

Hank

Thanks Hank, Princess are quoting a trip for $100 each so compared to that I think even the car seems cheap. Princess say its 1 1/2 hours away does this seem right? If this is the case I think the train would be more than 4 euros.

Babs

1 1/2 hours! That gave me a start! I was giving you info on Villefranche (missed the Cannes comment). From Cannes to Monte Carlo you actually use the same train line (as from Villefranche) but the ride takes about 1 hour each way. As to the cost, I am just making an educated guess, but I would think the fare is no more than 12 Euros. There is the also the possibility that still sell a day-pass on this line (I am not sure of the current fare structure) but this is a question you should ask at the train station. A day pass (if available) would give you unlimited use of the train line that spans the entire Riviera for a full day. As to Cannes, from the tender pier its about a 15 minute walk to the train station, but the walk is interesting since its through part of downtown Cannes.

Hank

To give you another comparison for your planning....We are doing a private guided tour from Cannes (where we arrive via Princess) to Monte Carlo, Eze Village and Nice and then back to Cannes, we were quoted 300 Euros for up to 6 people and advised the drive from Cannes to Monaco is about 45 minutes. As this is a tailor made guided tour they include going anywhere we ask for that is reasonable to fit in the time frame. The couple we are touring with did not want to take a full day tour for fear of missing the ship so we will have a nice few hours back in Cannes to explore on our own before embarking again.

Betty

Thanks for this information with 4 of us this may be an option, which tour company are you booked with? We've never pre-booked excursions before except with the ship so are a little apprehensive about this:o

Babs

Betty

Thanks for this information with 4 of us this may be an option, which tour company are you booked with? We've never pre-booked excursions before except with the ship so are a little apprehensive about this:o

Babs

We've always had great success with private tours and have found them to be more economic and certainly much less crowded and more personalized than the ship excursions. If you are wanting to go with a group larger than your own party, you can always post/discuss on the roll call for your ship on this forum and look for others of similar interests which is what we did to get our small group of 4. We are using Prestige tours for our tour as described below. www.traveltourprestige.com They were recommended in some of the threads. Revelation Tours www.revelation-tours.com and Dream tours www.dream-tours.com also come highly recommended on these threads. Most reputable guides will be expert in their areas and will either advise you on places to see or follow your specific requests if you already know what you want to do. They will also know exactly how much time to allow to get you back to your ship for the all aboard call.

Thanks Betty for the information this definitely seems to be a good choice even if we only do it on our own it works out cheaper than the cruiseline's offering.

Thanks everyone for all the information given, sorry if I hijacked the thread a bit:o but now I have built up an idea of what to do when we dock. Especially if there is a long walk to the hire cars.

Thanks

Babs:)

• 6 years later...

Hi. We (my husband, daughter and I) are very interested in doing the Monaco/Monte Carlo and Eze tour on our own from Cannes. Our ship docks at 7 am and leaves at 7 pm. By reading the thread, I know that I can take the train from Cannes to Monaco. But to get to Eze village, should I do that on the way back? Should I buy round trip train tickets? Also, is Eze better to see or St Paul de Vence?

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Mojgan