Here goes--another horrendous tipping question

I've already pre-paid my tips. I'm inclined to tip more, depending on the service. Do I really have to go through the humiliating (for both parties) process of handing out the tip envelopes personally? Is there a box I can drop the envelopes in? Or something? I think this is the absolute worst idea ever.

I've already pre-paid my tips. I'm inclined to tip more, depending on the service. Do I really have to go through the humiliating (for both parties) process of handing out the tip envelopes personally? Is there a box I can drop the envelopes in? Or something? I think this is the absolute worst idea ever.

You could hand them to the Maitre D possibly instead to distribute them or your head waiter. I think you'd have to give them to someone as I've never heard of a box.

I agree though, I hate handing them out too.

Humiliating? For who? The folks who have served you really appreciate your tips and they work hard for them? Is it just that you get embarrassed?

But--if you did the "pre-tip" thing, you don't HAVE to hand out anything--they will get their money--but--everyone else will be giving out the envelopes....you may feel out of place NOT doing so!

I also don't see what's humiliating about it, and I doubt that the crew are humiliated by the idea of making their living earning tips, but if it makes you uncomfortable to personally present your waitstaff with a token of your appreciation, so be it. You can leave them on the table when you exit the dining room.

We don't hand the envelope to our cabin steward, just leave it on the bed, usually in the embrace of a towel animal.:rolleyes:

I usually take "Thank You" notes and include a personal message along with the voucher. I would be more humiliated not handing them anything. In 18 cruises, there have been only a couple of times when I felt like "if you can't say something nice"!

Since I'm not planning on eating in the dining room, I'd have to make some kind of special arragement to give them out. I just don't see the practice as being very polite.

Ahhhh, you didn't mention that! In that case, if you've prepaid your tips you don't really need to do anything. The waitstaff will get their tips whether you give them the vouchers or not.

You did, however, say that you plan to "tip more." Who were you planning on giving the extra money to?

Sorry, should've clarified. Don't plan on eating in the dining room that night.

I have eaten in the specialty restaurant on the last night.

I have either dropped by the main DR at the regular time, or given the envelopes out the night before. (Usually the former, since I forget to do it early :rolleyes: )

On our last cruise we ate in Portofino the last night. We had late seating, and had told our waiter that we (1) wouldn't be there and (2) had put the tips on our Seapass accounts. We still went by the dining room to drop off the envelopes and thank him (and the rest of our dining team) again.

Archived