Sovereign of the Seas

Hi all! I am new here after lurking a while!

We are going on our second RCCL cruise next month on the Sovereign (previously been on the Majesty).

Now my question!!! According to the RCCL official web site, it states that the Sovereign has just had a complete refurbishment in January (I rang them in January and this was confirmed), but I read on here that she is being taken out of service by RCCL in October. Surely thousands wouldnt be spent on refurbishing a ship only for it to be taken out of commission? There is nothing on RCCL web site about her being taken out.

I have also read reports on here that she is showing signs of wear and tear (as you would expect in an older ship), but if the RCCL web site says she has had a make over .......... Anyone know??

We have sailed several times on the Sovereign - and we love the ship. We sailed before and after they did the major overhaul a few years ago, and the ship was beautiful afterwards. It's been 2 years since we've been, but we wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again. I don't know about refurbishment in January, but I Would imagine it was in preparation for transferring her to their European subsidiary.

I wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again.

I know that doesn't answer your question but I hope it helps.

The Sovereign is a wonderful ship with terrifice crew and I've sailed on her six times, I believe. However, much to my dismay, the Monarch of the Seas, my first RCI ship, will leave California, to take over the Sovereign spot. I have sailed on her seventeen times in the thirteen years I've done Royal Caribbean cruising and, I promise you, her crew is the absolute best. She's a sister to the Sovereign and you will enjoy her. We are bereft to lose an RCI ship in the three and four day cruise market over here in California!!!

The Sovereign is a wonderful ship with terrifice crew and I've sailed on her six times, I believe. However, much to my dismay, the Monarch of the Seas, my first RCI ship, will leave California, to take over the Sovereign spot. I have sailed on her seventeen times in the thirteen years I've done Royal Caribbean cruising and, I promise you, her crew is the absolute best. She's a sister to the Sovereign and you will enjoy her. We are bereft to lose an RCI ship in the three and four day cruise market over here in California!!!

ummm I just looked at your cruise history...and I want your life !! :D

Wow..I am impressed !

Hi all! I am new here after lurking a while!

We are going on our second RCCL cruise next month on the Sovereign (previously been on the Majesty).

Now my question!!! According to the RCCL official web site, it states that the Sovereign has just had a complete refurbishment in January (I rang them in January and this was confirmed), but I read on here that she is being taken out of service by RCCL in October. Surely thousands wouldnt be spent on refurbishing a ship only for it to be taken out of commission? There is nothing on RCCL web site about her being taken out.

I have also read reports on here that she is showing signs of wear and tear (as you would expect in an older ship), but if the RCCL web site says she has had a make over .......... Anyone know??

She was refurbished in 2004. :rolleyes:

I have loved my cruises on the Sovereign.

Yes, she is going to Pullmantur, as will Majesty and Monarch eventually.

Vision class will be the new "small" ships in the RC line.

You can read my reviews by clicking on the links in my signature.

Just sailed Sovereign 2 weeks ago and while it is a nice ship, I don't beleive there was any major refurbishment in January. She is very much showing the wear and tear of her years and needs a total overhaul. Never-the-less, we had a wonderful 4 days on her and wouldn't hesitate to go again. Everyone is right about the staff...they are very special. We sailed Monarch on our very first cruise in 2002 and loved it. We are excited that she is coming back to Florida and I am seeing many cruises in our future on Monarch (in all fairmess we only live 40 miles from Port Canaveral)!!

Just sailed Sovereign 2 weeks ago and while it is a nice ship, I don't beleive there was any major refurbishment in January. She is very much showing the wear and tear of her years and needs a total overhaul. Never-the-less, we had a wonderful 4 days on her and wouldn't hesitate to go again. Everyone is right about the staff...they are very special. We sailed Monarch on our very first cruise in 2002 and loved it. We are excited that she is coming back to Florida and I am seeing many cruises in our future on Monarch (in all fairmess we only live 40 miles from Port Canaveral)!!

Thanks for your comments everyone! But if you look on the RCCI website, it says 'what's new on the SOS' - gives a full list of all the ' recent' refurbishment changes!!

Nice to hear good comments from everyone - thanks again!

Thanks for your comments everyone! But if you look on the RCCI website, it says 'what's new on the SOS' - gives a full list of all the ' recent' refurbishment changes!!

Nice to hear good comments from everyone - thanks again!

Do you mean this? http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/highlights.do;jsessionid=0000wg8fAJ6JZ98LkrWa1bobbjP:12hbiocus?pagename=sovereign_highlights&shipCode=SS

That all happened in 2004.

That's the one! Now how naughty of RCCI - I telephoned them to 'have a word' with them as I had read some not too favourable reviews of the SOS and I was told to ' have a look at our website - you will see the changes the ship has gone through only 3 weeks ago' (I rang at the end of January!!).

I will take as truth what people on here, who have recently sailed, have to say!

ummm I just looked at your cruise history...and I want your life !! :D

Wow..I am impressed !

For the last twenty years of my forty year nursing life, I've been in forensics, doing adult and child sexual abuse cases. Since 2001, I've been primarily involved in cases involving children from birth to their eighteenth birthday, doing the forensic interviews for the DA, social services, law enforcement, assisting with the collection of evidence, testifying in court - as one of only four nurses, covering the city and county of San Francisco 24/7. Cruising is the way I deal with the stress of that work. It's enabled me to keep at it for the past twenty years though, at 63, I'm hoping to retire next October on my 64th birthday. I seldom get to do a long cruise so I am really looking forward to 14 days on the Navigator April 12th!!!

I can certainly understand that stress..well no I can't ! That has to be a tough job. Being a nurse myself for 30 years, I do understand the stress of it, but not when it comes to dealing with children and sexual abuse !:eek:

I do TOTALLY understand how cruising helps take away stress..it just seems magical from the time you get on the ship...the whole world changes...them boom...PCD ! :p

Congrats on a very successful career...and cruise history ! ;) And you surely don't look 63 if that is your pic !!

Sue

My wife and I were on SOS three weeks ago. We thought the ship was in decent ship for being so old. We loved our 3 day cruise but I can't give you many details on the ship. We ate in the buffet for all meals and liked the food. Gym was nice and not very crowded at 6 AM (we're early risers). We layed by the pool where there seemed to be chairs usually available. We were wonderfully attended to by the excellent pool servers. That's it. Never saw a show or the dining room. After drinking and laying in the sun all day we were in bed by 9. Complete relaxation was what we wanted and it was exactly what we got. No worries about schedules, dressing for dinner, shore trips, etc. And the pizza is not so good :)

I can certainly understand that stress..well no I can't ! That has to be a tough job. Being a nurse myself for 30 years, I do understand the stress of it, but not when it comes to dealing with children and sexual abuse !:eek:

I do TOTALLY understand how cruising helps take away stress..it just seems magical from the time you get on the ship...the whole world changes...them boom...PCD ! :p

Congrats on a very successful career...and cruise history ! ;) And you surely don't look 63 if that is your pic !!

Sue

That's me, Sue, and the photo was taken on a cruise, just a couple of years ago. You're right about leaving your worries behind when you walk on board. The beeper stays home and, for a short while at least, I relax and forget my worries. I try never to leave a ship without the next cruise booked!

That's me, Sue, and the photo was taken on a cruise, just a couple of years ago. You're right about leaving your worries behind when you walk on board. The beeper stays home and, for a short while at least, I relax and forget my worries. I try never to leave a ship without the next cruise booked!

Well maybe our paths will cross one of these days on a cruise ship :D

Archived