We were on the Galaxy Med and Ta B2B

cruise in Nov./Dec. 2006. There was

only two dinner times then. 8:30 was the

late dinner.

That said, other months the Galaxy

had different times for dinner. I think

it depends on the ship your on and

what month you go.

I can't help but think there is too much being said about dining times. Who cares? You are on vacation. I am in bed by 9 p.m. at home because I get up early. On my med cruise, I ate at 9 p.m. and got used to it. I would take a nap after the excursions and then get up, dressed, make my way to dinner and thoroughly enjoy it. Afterwards I would walk outside a little and then off to bed. It can be done and dining time should NOT ruin your cruise. Nothing should - especially things we have no control over.

I will enjoy whatever time we dine ... you don't have to shop for it, cook it or clean up after ... so get on with it!

........ No! but you have to pay for it. And the paying customer should be listened to, so I appreciate your comments. But...........

Believe me a lot of people care. First of all it is not healthy to go to bed on a full stomach & my point previously was that the compass gave meal time as 8.30 and we were not being served until well after 9.30 some nights There were many complaints about this new set up. If you are on a 14 night cruise and you book knowing the meal times then this should be the case. I can tell you on our cruise last year, which was one of the frist on Navigator in Europe it was a shambles, but we were patient thinking well as time goes by they will get their teething problems sorted out. If you went to a restaurant and you had booked a table for 8.30 most people would not be happy if their first course was served at 9.30. I hope by the time I cruise in September they will get this sorted out. Thank goodnes there is still the Windjammer to fall back on. May I just add that in the second week there were a lot of empty tables in the dining room for second sitting and a lot of people in the Windjammer. I also know for a fact that this effected the staff tiips as I spoke with many waiters, and they were very concerned. In fact our waiter saw me in the Dining room for breakfast one morning and he asked why we had not been back to the dining room. We assured him it was not all his fault, and told him the reason, also that if we were not back to the dining room, we would see him before we leave the ship, so we went back on the last night. We told the staff we were very sorry that we missed a few nights, but they understood, because they were given their instructions, and had to carry them out, or else. This is why Rccl tried very hard to have the tips put on to the seapass account.

I believe the issue is that Americans tend to eat much earlier than Europeans. For many Europeans, eating at 8:30 would be considered early. RCCL is trying to satisfy both Americans and Europeans with up to 4 dining times.

You have hit the nail on the head there!

On the Voyager, the last twice we have travelled we have had 9.30 dinner which has suited us just fine - probably about the normal time we would eat at home .

For our forthcoming trip to Alaska we have 8.30 dining, which is quite early for us - but as the saying goes -when in Rome do as the Romans do !

........ No! but you have to pay for it. And the paying customer should be listened to, so I appreciate your comments. But...........

Do you think the European customers are getting the cruise for free?

Please bare in mind that on some sailings in Europe, US customers are in the minority.

At home, we normally eat at about 6:00. On a cruise, we like to enjoy longer days, so we would like to eat at about 7:30. On HAL in the Baltic, we were able to do that, as they had 4 dining times. As I cruise more, I am finding myself eating more dinners in the casual restaurants, since I can go when I want to, and I actually find it to be more relaxing than all of the hustle/bustle of the dining rooms. We will be on RCCL Legend of Seas in Med this September. It is our first time on RCCL. I booked it in December, 10 months ahead, and I could not get early dining. That is something I don't understand. Right now, we will just wait until documents arrive and see what the real time is. If it is too late for us, we will probably eat in Windjammer, and forget about formal night. We will adjust to it, and still, hopefully, enjoy our cruise. As we hope all of you do, also.

Ally, believe me, I understand your point, really. The only point I was making is why make it spoil a good vacation? If it's set in stone, why get so upset about it? I truly think that the dining time should not be THIS important. I don't like to eat late at home either, but at home I have a choice.

Maybe it's me, because it's very difficult to get my knickers in a knot over just about anything while I am on vacation. I worked hard for it and PAID for it, and I'm not going to let something like that get me so worked up.

That's all. Good luck with whatever you can arrange for yourself. And the dining time should certainly not affect anyone's tips. The tips are for all staff who wait on you, including those who serve and clean up in the Windjammer.

I truly hope you have a wonderful cruise and can enjoy whatever dining time you have. As I said, I take a walk after dinner to settle my food a little.

Do you think the European customers are getting the cruise for free?

Please bare in mind that on some sailings in Europe, US customers are in the minority.

Sorry I do not get your point. I know European customers do not get the cruise for free as I am one of them. You may not have noticed that I am from Scotland and surely that makes me European. When we cruised in the States and the Caribbean we were in the minority and believe me I was happy to be because I enjoyed these times. I just personally felt no need to change the dining times as they were very much middle of the road and would have suited everyone no matter where they came from

Sorry I do not get your point. I know European customers do not get the cruise for free as I am one of them. You may not have noticed that I am from Scotland and surely that makes me European. When we cruised in the States and the Caribbean we were in the minority and believe me I was happy to be because I enjoyed these times. I just personally felt no need to change the dining times as they were very much middle of the road and would have suited everyone no matter where they came from

Ally

My point being that when in the USA and Canada , most european customers find the dining times quite early, but you just have to go with the flow.

I had not noticed that you were in Scotland. but what I am saying that most people living in the warmer parts of Europe will eat dinner at 9.30 to 10.00 at the earliest.

I admit it took some getting used to when I moved to Spain almost 20 years ago - but believe me it is the norm, especially in the summer months. Many local restaurants do not open until 9ish.

Therefore if many of the clients are from southern europe, which would appear to be a growth market, judging by the ever increasing number of cruise ships here, RCL are merely accommodating them. At least they are trying out my time dining on certain ships now, which might be a step to overcoming the problem some people have with eating late.

As someone else has already said - it is not something that is worth stressing out about - you are on holiday - enjoy yourselves!

I admit it took some getting used to when I moved to Spain almost 20 years ago - but believe me it is the norm, especially in the summer months. Many local restaurants do not open until 9ish.

Therefore if many of the clients are from southern europe, which would appear to be a growth market, judging by the ever increasing number of cruise ships here, RCL are merely accommodating them. At least they are trying out my time dining on certain ships now, which might be a step to overcoming the problem some people have with eating late.

Sorry didn't know how to use the quote. As far as my knowledge goes after many years holidaying in the Mediterranean, everyone has a siesta during the day and therefore will not want to eat until late, but that is not feasible on a cruise ship with long port intensive days? And as mentioned before in Portugal this was certainly not the norm. Don't get me wrong I like eating late but I do not think that eating at 9.30 is condusive to a early start port intensive cruise.

Sorry didn't know how to use the quote. As far as my knowledge goes after many years holidaying in the Mediterranean, everyone has a siesta during the day and therefore will not want to eat until late, but that is not feasible on a cruise ship with long port intensive days? And as mentioned before in Portugal this was certainly not the norm. Don't get me wrong I like eating late but I do not think that eating at 9.30 is condusive to a early start port intensive cruise.

I completely agree with you. However every body has there own opinions, but quite a few people on this small thread already are against this late dining times. No sress, no hassle. no spoiling of cruise. If I have to dine at 9.30 at night my wife and I and our four travelling companions will not be going to the dining room. Simple as that.

BTW to use the quote facility just click on the quote tab in the bottom right hand corner of the post you wish to quote.

Just to confuse things. I called C&A today and the lady I spoke with spent a lot of time researching for dinning times for me. There is a list of ships and dates that have international dinning times. The Navigator does not. It is supposed to have 6:15 and 8:30. I hope that is the case because 8:30 is perfect. My TA was also given the same information. This is contrary to what another poster was told by RCI UK. So I guess we will know after the first few cruises. Luckily we are doing a b2b and we do not mind eating later on the first one, then we can change for the second if need be. I hope everyone will post the dinner times.

We'll be on the Navigator May 5th and May 10th - our documents came and they say:

Late seating 9:30

So I guess that is what it will be. I don't mind as much the first week because we will be in port 3 days until 7:00 pm and that will give us plenty of time to relax and get ready for dinner.

The second week the ship will sail at either 4 or 5... 9:30pm will feel later that week - but I am sure it will be fine. I do think RCCL should be able to give you accurate information when you are booking or when you call to confirm dinner times so that you can make the best decision for you.

Darlene and Marty,

Thank you for the information. We are on May 29 and June 2. Would you mind posting how it went when you get back. I am unsure about eating at 9:30, it may make it hard to get up the next morning. On our first cruise it does not matter but it would be hard the second. Do you know if there are formal nights? We are going to skip them if they are as we just can not pack all the appropriate clothes.

Just to confuse things. I called C&A today and the lady I spoke with spent a lot of time researching for dinning times for me. There is a list of ships and dates that have international dinning times. The Navigator does not. It is supposed to have 6:15 and 8:30. I hope that is the case because 8:30 is perfect. My TA was also given the same information. This is contrary to what another poster was told by RCI UK. So I guess we will know after the first few cruises. Luckily we are doing a b2b and we do not mind eating later on the first one, then we can change for the second if need be. I hope everyone will post the dinner times.

When we sailed Brilliance in the Med three years ago, the sailing before ours offered different dining times than were offered on our sailing. I would say two things: (1) Customer Service and C&A have no idea what dining times will be offered on the ship (I know this from prior experience), and (2) dining times on one sailing will not necessarily be the same on other sailings.

Unfortunately, passengers must choose either main or late and then find out what their actual dining time is once they board. At that point, changes may be attempted through the maitre d'.

When we were on Celebrity's Galaxy in July 2006, our late dining was 8:45. We usually didn't get done with dinner until about 11pm.

This time around we requested early dining. We'll see what we get.

Darlene and Marty - I noticed on another thread that you are also going to Paris post cruise. What airline did you book and how are you dealing with the luggage issues. We booked Iberia. There are three of us traveling. We are in BCN 5 days pre cruise and then Paris and London 8 nights. So the luggage is becoming an issue.

Darlene and Marty - I noticed on another thread that you are also going to Paris post cruise. What airline did you book and how are you dealing with the luggage issues. We booked Iberia. There are three of us traveling. We are in BCN 5 days pre cruise and then Paris and London 8 nights. So the luggage is becoming an issue.

Hi JSR,

Well, the luggage issue intra-Europe has become the most stressful part of our planning for 15 days in Europe. We are flying Delta to Barcelona - which allows us 2 bags up to 50 pounds each ( although Delta just announced that they will begin charging $25 for the second piece of checked luggage.)

We are flying Air France from Barcelona to Paris post cruise. They only allow a total of 44 pounds for checked luggage. And I think up to 26 pounds for carry on luggage. Right now our plan is to choose what we take very carefully - and since we are going to be on a cruise for 10 days we may have our clothes cleaned while on the ship (yes this will probably be a little pricey)

So we have just mentally prepared that if we are over by 10 to 15 pounds we will just pay the fee. I researched a lot of options like luggage forwarding but have not come up with good alternatives.

So we'll pack smart - hopefully just taking what we will actually use. It is going to be a challenge to say the least.

If you come up with better options please let us know!

Darlene and Marty,

Thank you for the information. We are on May 29 and June 2. Would you mind posting how it went when you get back. I am unsure about eating at 9:30, it may make it hard to get up the next morning. On our first cruise it does not matter but it would be hard the second. Do you know if there are formal nights? We are going to skip them if they are as we just can not pack all the appropriate clothes.

On our documents it says there will be 1 formal night each week but it does not specify which night. When we get back I will let you know when it was.

My email address is Darlene9361@aol.com if you want to send me your email address - I'll send you details about our trip when we return.

We were on the navigator last year to the Med ... We found this very frustrating as we were always at our table for four with friends at 8.30 and we found we had to wait for other tables to appear, sometimes even later than 9.00 pm ... BTW is was never sorted out and we never had a visit from the Head Waiter for the whole cruise and when we asked the waiter on the last night who our Head Waiter was, he said he did not know.

We were on Navigator last summer as well at the 8:30 seating. Thankfully, we didn't have these types of issues. What a frustrating time that must have been to be waiting on others and to be refused service. I will always talk to the Head Waiter ASAP if something is wrong. Good luck on your upcoming trip!

I agree. What I really don't understand is why there are four sittings instead of two, which was how the experience was on the Voyager when we went to the Caribbean.

I believe it is based on the managing the crowd on ships a bit better. If memory serves me correctly the main floor is seated 30 minutes prior to the upper dining rooms.

I have given up reading all of the posts so if I am repeating someone's sorry. Holland America have both fixed dining times and as you wish dining times. They have implemented that on most of their ships and will be fully implemented by the summer. You can choose the as you wish dining and you can make a reservation daily or just show up anytime between I believe 5:15 and 9PM. For those of us who prefer fixed times at the same table they have two seatings. WE are on the Mediterranean cruise on the Rotterdam and have an 8:30 time.

Archived