How to Look Around town From Anchored Ports

ionsys

Hello Folks-

I notice that the ships going to Nice, Mykonos and Santorini berth in the water and one has to go ashore by motor launch--and back again

But, what if you don't want to book a tour and just want to wander around the town on your own and at your leisure?

How often does any motor launch leave the ship or come back (when not on an excursion)? Presume there are set times but how often?--And do you have to pay extra for the motor launch to/from the land?

How much/person is the one way fee--if there is a fee?

Hello Folks-

I notice that the ships going to Nice, Mykonos and Santorini berth in the water and one has to go ashore by motor launch--and back again

But, what if you don't want to book a tour and just want to wander around the town on your own and at your leisure?

How often does any motor launch leave the ship or come back (when not on an excursion)? Presume there are set times but how often?--And do you have to pay extra for the motor launch to/from the land?

How much/person is the one way fee--if there is a fee?

What you are asking about is called tendering. It is always free. It varies from ship to ship how you get on the tender but it is always easy. Enjoy :)

When they tender in the caribbean, they run them constantly back and forth. No real schedule, except in the morning when they may let the cruiseline booked tours priority. I assume the Med will be the same.

One word of caution - the first several tenders of the day will be used for the passengers who HAVE booked shore excursions so that they can get those people off on time. Depending on the ship and the cruise line, and what category you are sailing(suites have priority boarding of tenders) you can normally pick up tender tickets at a location they will announce. They will be numbered and you take the tender number you have a ticket for. Later they will go to "open" tendering and you need no ticket.

In Villefranche, for Nice, you can walk around the village - there are some good restaurants surrounding the harbor - and the village itself, though hilly and narrow streets is quaint and interesting.

In Mykonos, the tender will dock within walking distance of the small town there. On Santorini, the tender dock is at the bottom of the volcano rim and you have to take either a cable car or a donkey to get to the villages at the rim :)

re Santorini--do you know off hand how much the cable car is per person one way for folks not on an excursion?

also, might it be a madhouse and long delay in getting back down on the cable car due to demand in afternoon?

Is the town at the top materially more interesting than down below (shops, eating, quaintness)?

re Santorini--do you know off hand how much the cable car is per person one way for folks not on an excursion?

also, might it be a madhouse and long delay in getting back down on the cable car due to demand in afternoon?

Is the town at the top materially more interesting than down below (shops, eating, quaintness)?

I have to look up if I have the price for the cable car in Santorini. I don´t know about th elines in the afternoon. I´ve been on a tour and came back around noon and there were no lines but don´t know how bad it might be close to the last tender.

As to the top being more intersting than down below. I assume you are talking about what´s down at sea level. There´s virtually nothing down there. A handful restaurants and gift shops. Definitely make your way up. It´s well worth it and you get some breathtaking views from the top.

The first thing you need to do is get a good guidebook on your ports! Then you'll have a better idea of what can be done, whether walking or by other transportation! It's always a good idea to do some research on the places you'll be visiting! Guidebooks are in the library travel section, or you can buy them at bookstores!

I didn't think there was antything down below..

Is the excursion to Oia worth it or is just like Santorini?

I think yes Oia is well worth it. Have you ever seen all those postcard photos from Santorini (white houses blue domes on top and the blue skies and blue seas in the back) That´s what you will get to see in Oia.

Here´s a link to my pics from Santorini including Oia

http://community.webshots.com/album/551617350VrWhUp

I will just add that Santorini itself is not to be missed. I think it is a beautiful spot with very friendly people and some wonderful seafood restaurants where you sit on the edge of the cliff overlooking the water. It has been a few years since I have been there and there were lines for the cable car but they take quite a few people each trip and it is not very long down and back so the wait is not bad.

Mykonos is a place where I have walked practically the entire island in around 2 hours. I highly recommend getting as high as you can on the island for picture taking. The windmills are a breathtaking view from high on the island. Unless things have changed there are no motorized vehicles allowed on Mykonos so you will be walking.

I will just add that Santorini itself is not to be missed. I think it is a beautiful spot with very friendly people and some wonderful seafood restaurants where you sit on the edge of the cliff overlooking the water. It has been a few years since I have been there and there were lines for the cable car but they take quite a few people each trip and it is not very long down and back so the wait is not bad.

Mykonos is a place where I have walked practically the entire island in around 2 hours. I highly recommend getting as high as you can on the island for picture taking. The windmills are a breathtaking view from high on the island. Unless things have changed there are no motorized vehicles allowed on Mykonos so you will be walking.

In 2006 when I was on Mykonos there were lots of motorized vehicles on the Island. The city itself was a pedestrian zone, but not the entire Island. Actually the road from the ship into town was pretty bad traffic wise and I would not have wanted to walk that one. As I was on a tour to Delos which dropped us off in the city they gave us free vouchers for the bus shuttle back to the ship.

Archived