Questions about Mariner

crooz4fun

My wife and I are sailing on the Mariner from Fort Lauderdale on April 18, 2008 (our first sailing on Regent) and I have several questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with. This Board has some of the most knowledgeable cruisers to be found anywhere and I thank everyone in advance for their help.

1. I remember reading somewhere that the Mariner in Fort Lauderdale sails from Terminal 2. Since we are driving to and parking at the Port, it would be very helpful if I know in advance if this is true. If that's not true, what terminal does it sail from?

2. My wife and I enjoy a good cup of coffee in our cabin when we get up. I'm wondering about the quality of coffee available from room service. We have sailed very frequently on Princess and usually bring a travel coffee pot and our own coffee with us because we don't particularly like their room service coffee. I would expect better on Regent and am trying to decide whether or not to bring the coffee pot. Any thought will be greatly appreciated.

3. When we travel we like to try out different cocktails offered but often don't know what to order. The drink menus usually list some fascinating combinations that have provided many great drink ideas. Since the drinks are complimentary, do they have drink menus to provide us with ideas or will we be on our own?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I will try to help. Again. Board ate my first reply! Hate it when that happens...

1. http://www.porteverglades.org/directions.php

Try this link. I don't ever remember being in the #2 neighborhood. I recall being in the 21-25 neighborhood each time at Port Everglades. You can try calling Port Everglades or RSSC a few days in advance to see if a dock has been assigned if it is important to you. When you enter the port there will be a big sign up with the dock number of each ship there that day by name. When the Security Officer of the port clears you to enter, they will tell you which dock and where the nearest parking is as well. So, really nothing to worry about.

2. Coffee. A touchy subject. Everyone has their own preferences. I am not a big fan of Regent's regular brew. Room service may be slightly better than in the restaurants, but not consistently or by much. If you are used to traveling with your own coffee setup, bring it on along with you on Mariner. Better safe than sorry. I find that RSSC's espresso and cappuchino are usually better than their brewed coffee. Try the Coffee Connection on Deck 6. Here is a tip though, ask for a single shot of espresso and a pot of hot water on the side. You can get this anywhere on the ship, even from room service. Good luck.

3. Bar Menus. I remember seeing them in the evenings in Observation Lounge and Mariner Lounge. I never made it to Horizon Lounge in the evening so can't say. I never saw a bar menu at the Pool Bar or in Constellation Theater where you will almost always be asked what you want to drink. My recollection is that the bar menus I saw were pretty skimpy. Here's an idea, if you want to try different things, why not do some Internet research from home and put together your own bar menu or wish list and then take it with you and have some fun on Mariner!

Enjoy, Debbie

Crooz,

As a reminder, as the cruise is now less than 28 days away, you can now make reservations for Signatures and Latitudes online (one reservation at each restaurant).

Reservations for additional nights at these restaurants may be made once onboard.

In FLL Regent ships alway berth at the main terminal and there are two parking structures there; either is convenient. As for coffee, my wife and I are heavy coffee drinkers and get room service coffee every morning. We've had 13 Regent cruises and have never been disappointed with the coffee in the dining areas or from room service. We do not like the machine coffee at the coffee corner. You can not bring a coffee pot and use it in your stateroom, nor can you bring an iron to use in your stateroom. I have never seen a bar menu on Regent ships, but I've never looked for one either.

Doug,

Reviews for the new coffee area that was installed onto the Mariner one year ago have been great. It is manned most of the day with specialties listed in a menu at the tables.

The old "coffee machine" never had good reviews,and seemed to break down quite often.

We are also on this sailing and I picked up my docs today.

In my package was a recommendation and a discount (1 day free) for parking at "Park'N Fly" right at the Port. Parking at the port costs $20. per day and at Park'N Fly it is $12. My flyer says that the shuttle picks you up and drops you off near your car and they have luggage assistance. Just have to present the coupon upon exiting the parking and get the 1 free day. It is a Regent Concierge suggestion and we will try it on this trip. They claim to be secure and well lit.

If you park here and take the shuttle, they will take you directly to the right place and the right ship.

About the drinks, I think they will try to make anything you want so do some homework. The bartenders will make suggestions also.

See you there!

I seem to remember that Doug decided not to sail on RSSC anymore because of the smoking policy - so perhaps he is not up to speed on the coffee!

We were on part of the South America cruise on Mariner, so we defintely ARE!

1. "Ordinary" coffee - served in restaurants, room service etc. I (a European, please note!) found this to be quite acceptable. Better than most coffee you get in the US.

2. "Coffee Connection" - superb! Excellent, I really mean this, Cappucino etc. They will make what you want. You can also take this to your suite.

I have always been able to ask for espresso, cappucino etc in any of the restaurants. I would assume Room Service could produce the same. (But we don't eat breakfast in our suite...)

Can't comment on the Ft Lauderdale piers. But have no doubts about the coffee.

As to Bar menus. In the Observation Lounge, Horizon Lounge and Mariner Lounge tehre were extensive "Bar Menus". Loads of cocktails to order, champagne (the real thing, not the Cremant de la Loire RSSC puts in your suite) etc. Wendy is right. In the Constellation theatre there are no bar menus. just ask for what you want. By the way, there are NO prices on the bar menus, so everything on them is included...

Santé!:)

I agree with Hambagahle, the Coffee Connection located near the library and internet room has great coffee. There are coffee menu's listing the ingredients. Half of the coffees here contain liquers

Crooz,

As a reminder, as the cruise is now less than 28 days away, you can now make reservations for Signatures and Latitudes online (one reservation at each restaurant).

Reservations for additional nights at these restaurants may be made once onboard.

I've already done that, but thanks for the reminder anyway.

We are also on this sailing and I picked up my docs today.

In my package was a recommendation and a discount (1 day free) for parking at "Park'N Fly" right at the Port. Parking at the port costs $20. per day and at Park'N Fly it is $12. My flyer says that the shuttle picks you up and drops you off near your car and they have luggage assistance. Just have to present the coupon upon exiting the parking and get the 1 free day. It is a Regent Concierge suggestion and we will try it on this trip. They claim to be secure and well lit.

If you park here and take the shuttle' date=' they will take you directly to the right place and the right ship.

About the drinks, I think they will try to make anything you want so do some homework. The bartenders will make suggestions also.

See you there![/quote']

Actually, parking is $15 per day in the port and with the difference of only $3 per day, I'm trying to decide if having to take the shuttle is worth it, especially if the parking at the port is convenient. I haven't gotten my documents yet, so I'll see what I get and then decide.

Thanks.

There was a thread on mixed drink suggestions about a year ago, there were a lot of good suggestions. Just search for "mixed drink suggestions" etc.

We found that the pool bar made an awesome lemon-drop martini (depending on who was tending bar). Neither I nor DW are big mixed-drink drinkers but after our first lemon drops from the pool bar we had our share from then on :) The lemon drops from the other bars were hit or miss.

As for coffee, the room service coffee was acceptable, even good sometimes. We ordered one regular and one decaf every morning and they brought a full carafe of each, which we drank mixed, to keep from over-reving the old tickers...

We just returned from a Fort Lauderdale to Fort Lauderdale cruise aboard the Mariner. We do recommend the Park n Fly. The shuttle takes you and your bags from your car to the ship and vice versa, which seems more convenient than lugging your bags from the parking garage to the ship. It does take a little longer, however. but is cheaper.

We departed and arrived at different berths, but both were in the 21-25 area. It appears to depend on what other ships are in port at a given time.

We have never been enamored with Regent coffee, but thought it considerably improved this time and the new coffee bar is great.

Archived