Permisson for non family member to travel

GamblinNan

I know that you need notorized permisson to take a non family member on a cruise, but does anyone know if there is a special form that is used? Would the same apply to divorced parents? Thanks for any info.

You only need permission if it is a child under the age of 18. I'm sure there are legal forms you can download, but we just had the parent handwrite a note outlining pertinent information (name, DOB, dates of travel, insurance ID information, permission to seek medical attention, etc.).

Jo-Ann

Divorced parents need permission from the other parent to take a minor child out of the state they reside in. My sister had to get a note signed by her ex to take her children on a cruise. Her ex wouldn't sign, so she had to take him before the judge, who granted her permission to take the minor children and wasn't too happy with her ex and told him so.

Its also a good idea to get your letter notarized.

We are taking our granddaughter on a 4 night Disney in November and I found the permission form the on the Disney website that they want signed by the parents and notarized.

It gives permission for the Emma to take the trip and also grants us medical authorization for her....

Dianne

I don't know what cruise line you are using but NCL has its own form also. I have taken a minor not my own kid cruising twice and his parents are divorced so I had both of them sign a permission form and get it notarized. You also want to have the form or letter give you permission to seek any necessary medical treatment and take a copy of the child's insurance card.

Barb

Divorced parents need permission from the other parent to take a minor child out of the state they reside in. My sister had to get a note signed by her ex to take her children on a cruise. Her ex wouldn't sign, so she had to take him before the judge, who granted her permission to take the minor children and wasn't too happy with her ex and told him so.

Its also a good idea to get your letter notarized.

You know thats interesting because we did 2 Mexican cruises and my daughter and I have last names and they never said anything. We also have gone every year to Mexico via motorhome and no problem there. Of course I have legal custody, so imo its not my ex's business anyways. Probably your sister is better off not letting the ex know, or stick to other cruises. We went to Alaska and will be going to Hawaii soon also, so many good cruises without having to leave America.

I have taken my DD (who is now 22) on 7 cruises - 6 of which were before she was 18. I was never asked for a letter when embarking - ever.

Several people in our group got them for our Feb cruise and were never asked for them. One mother knew she'd have trouble with her ex - she got someone else to sign the letter. It didn't say it had to be notarized. She was not asked for it.

My sister has 3 children - with 2 different last names and her name is different than either of them (2 marriages/divorced went back to her maiden name) - On embarkation of the ship never asked for anything. She did have a notarized letter for a teenage friend that cruised with them. - wasn't asked for that either.

NCL has their own form for you to complete. And your TA should also have one on file if you need it.

Kathy

While the cruiseline may never ask for the letter (they haven't asked me) there is a dual purpose in the letter. The ones I've seen/used also give medical authorization so it is VERY important to have this ESPECIALLY if you are taking someone who is not related. In an emergency it could delay medical attention.

This is one of those times I am glad my daughter's father was being a jerk and wouldn't sign the birth certificate when she was born. Although paternity was subsequently established, I have yet to add his name to the birth certificate partially for this reason. I don't need his permission for anything because according to her birth certificate I am her only parent.

To the lady whose sister had to go before the judge to go on a cruise, what reason did her ex-husband give for not signing the document. Just curious (I guess the stupidity of some men amuses me). My ex-boyfriend wasn't happy when he found out I am going on a cruise alone in May. He said, "I thought we decided to get new living room furniture when the bedroom suite was paid off" I laughed and told him that there hasn't been a we in 8 months and since HE never contributed to the payment of the bedroom suit or anything else in MY household, WE decided that I deserved a vacation!!! LOL

Here is a link to the form that my dance studio uses every time we travel. We have cruised 3 times on RCCL and some, but not all of our families have been asked for this form. It all depends on the agent you get at the pier. It seems to be a hit or miss thing. This is the best form I've found as it includes the medical permission for treatment also.

http://www.travel-masters.net/forms/Parental%20Consent%202.pdf

You know thats interesting because we did 2 Mexican cruises and my daughter and I have last names and they never said anything. We also have gone every year to Mexico via motorhome and no problem there. Of course I have legal custody, so imo its not my ex's business anyways. Probably your sister is better off not letting the ex know, or stick to other cruises. We went to Alaska and will be going to Hawaii soon also, so many good cruises without having to leave America.

In Massachusetts anyways, this is true, if a custodial parent is taking the minor child or children out of the state, they must notify the other parent and the other parent must give permission. If permission is not given by the other parent, he/she can certainly stop it. I don't know of many parents that would do this, but you know, there is always one and that was my sister's ex, he would have stopped us at the airport, that's why we had to do what we did.

This is one of those times I am glad my daughter's father was being a jerk and wouldn't sign the birth certificate when she was born. Although paternity was subsequently established, I have yet to add his name to the birth certificate partially for this reason. I don't need his permission for anything because according to her birth certificate I am her only parent.

To the lady whose sister had to go before the judge to go on a cruise, what reason did her ex-husband give for not signing the document. Just curious (I guess the stupidity of some men amuses me). My ex-boyfriend wasn't happy when he found out I am going on a cruise alone in May. He said, "I thought we decided to get new living room furniture when the bedroom suite was paid off" I laughed and told him that there hasn't been a we in 8 months and since HE never contributed to the payment of the bedroom suit or anything else in MY household, WE decided that I deserved a vacation!!! LOL

I would like to point out that it is not only men who refuse permission, but women also. As a matter of fact there is a court case in the midwest several years ago that went to appeals court due to a mother refusing permission.

In Massachusetts anyways, this is true, if a custodial parent is taking the minor child or children out of the state, they must notify the other parent and the other parent must give permission. If permission is not given by the other parent, he/she can certainly stop it. I don't know of many parents that would do this, but you know, there is always one and that was my sister's ex, he would have stopped us at the airport, that's why we had to do what we did.

I understand but I never told my ex what we did or where we went, not his business and now my daughter is 15 so thankfully I don't have to worry. We also go to Canada every other year to see relatives, and not once was it a problem. Of course my ex would have no way to find out what we do, as we have all chosen not to communicate with him.

Your sister should never have let him know, big mistake; otherwise he never would have found out. Not his business anyways...imo

I know this is a hot topic on here so when I boarded the Celebrity Summit on March 15th. I watched as a 17 year old girl was denied boarding the ship with her mother and step-father with interests. They had sailed several times before and had never been asked for anything. Something the step-father was very loud in stating. I had stood outside in line with this family and was in line with the grandparents. I went through security to find the rest of the family wondering where this family was. I told them in passing, that I thought there might be a problem and someone might want to go check on the others. Then I boarded the ship.

After going to the shore excursion desk, I sat down in one of the chairs in front of guest relation to wait the 30 minutes until my cabin opened up. Not too long the grandparents showed up at guest relations, pleading for help from the cruise line. It seems that the mother hadn't got a form giving her permission to leave the country with her daughter from her ex-husband. They manage to get the immigration worker that was a stickler for the rules and refused to let the girl board. Guest relations told them it really was out of their hands, as it wasn't their rule. *Note: The last time I called The Office of Children Issues, the U.S. didn't have such a rule either*

The women in Guest Relations did leave with the grandparents to see what could be done. I am sailing next Jan with 4 minors, who's parents are staying at home. I quickly dialed my mother who is going with me and reported back what I had just witnessed. She got the ball rolling on getting permission on Monday. As my brother has a problem ex, and if she thought for one moment she could cause problems she would do so. Or hold out until my parents offered her money and she would give in.

I didn't see the family for several days, when I stepped on the elevator with the grandparents. I had to ask them how things turned out. The mother is on speaking terms with the father and had no problem in getting in touch with him. He was able to sign a form, have it notarized and the ship let him use their fax machine to fax the form in. The girl was able to board with her family.

But this could have turned out BAD!!

I understand but I never told my ex what we did or where we went, not his business and now my daughter is 15 so thankfully I don't have to worry. We also go to Canada every other year to see relatives, and not once was it a problem. Of course my ex would have no way to find out what we do, as we have all chosen not to communicate with him.

Your sister should never have let him know, big mistake; otherwise he never would have found out. Not his business anyways...imo

Unfortunately it is his business, per the courts, they are his children also. If she did not tell him, she would be the one in jail and he could fight for custody of the children. He was not a good father, but he loved to find out what my sister was upto and destroy anything he could, he was very vendictive and always thought he was hurting my sister, he wasn't smart enough to know it was the boys he was hurting. Your lucky your ex isn't as vendictive as my sister's ex.

Kids are all grown up and and he's passed on, so its no longer an issue for my sister.

I also want to note here that I realize it isn't only men who do this, women also.

It depends on the court papers. Mine were very detailed, giving me sole and full custody in regards to all decisions. When we attained my daughters passport, they needed the court papers and nothing from him. So since we had the passport, and detailed court order that is one of the reasons we never had a problem.

I agree having a troublesome ex would be a different matter, in that case I would have gone on a state side cruise or if I thought he would be agreeable gotten the release. Everyones situation is different, thankfully I had a lawyer years ago that spelled everything out; at least things I didn't foresee at that age. :)

Yes, your situation is definately different than my sisters. She tried to get sole and full custody of her children, judge wouldn't hear of it, so that's why we were in the position we were in. She ended up in court to get "blanket permission" to take her kids out of state for short periods of time.

Archived