See? It's NOT just cruise ships

I live about 5 miles from the Six Flags Waterpark. Todays paper said over 420 got sick. The paper mentioned that this is the same thing that happens on cruise ships. I shuddered. Any time you have LARGE groups of people coming together in the winter months, this stuff is going to happen. The bad thing is that Six Flags posted no signs or alerted incoming guests. That is definately NOT right.

Big in nursing homes too. And devistating to the elderly there.

Learned a huge lesson last year about how this is passed along and have a tip. I ate at a local famous bar-b-que chain wher they have a six pack of different sauce squeeze bottle on the table. Never thought twice about grabbing them and squeezing out some sauce on the ribs...which of course I ate with my fingers. And licked the sauce off same fingers. And squeezed more sauce from a bottle....a bottle which someone else had undoubtedly done the same...fingers on ribs, fingers to mouth, fingers to the bottles I was to later use. No wonder the next day I was violently ill. :( All symptoms were classic Noro. Forever more I will be wrapping those bottles in paper towels before I use them and/or wiping them down with the little moist wipes they provide.

No wonder these things can spread like wildfire. Yes, I am sure passenger behavior plays a huge role.

This happens all the time at SCHOOLS, NURSING HOMES, HOSPITALS, and Places of Employment (offices, etc)

However for some reason, the news media is fixated on it happening on Cruise Ships, because now it has a name, whereas usually in schools or whatever, everyone just calls it the "stomach Flu"

I live about 5 miles from the Six Flags Waterpark. Todays paper said over 420 got sick. The paper mentioned that this is the same thing that happens on cruise ships. I shuddered. Any time you have LARGE groups of people coming together in the winter months, this stuff is going to happen. The bad thing is that Six Flags posted no signs or alerted incoming guests. That is definately NOT right.

Hi, neighbor

This happens all the time at Places of Employment (offices, etc)

Yep, that would be where I got it. I didn't even have the rest of a vacation to look forward to.:rolleyes: It was right before Thanksgiving though and at least I can say that I didn't gain any weight over Thanksgiving last year.

Yes, what I actually want everyone to do is pass on this story to all of their non-cruising friends who say, "EEEWWWWW, when you cruise, you get those icky viruses."

:D

Whaddiya mean? I got my dose of it on a cruise ship.:p

Sadly, there will be people who will never be convinced that it has nothing to do with the cruise ships per se. No one has any idea how many people may have gotten noro on planes because everyone gets off and goes their different way.

Back in college, an unknown illness swept through the campus, most likely a noro virus and no BIG deal was made of it. In typical, might I say immature college fashion, the guys almost made it a competition as to who "hit the head" the most times.:eek:

Shoot-2 Wash. DC hotels actually CLOSED because of noro the last 2 years! It's NOT a cruise ship thing--it's probably more of an elementary school thing--why do you think little kids are throwing up all the time????

Aside from the fact that some are ignorant and think its a cruise ship thing...even when it happens on ships people assume it must be a unsanitary ship, when in fact the pax are the largest contributors to the problem

Amen! You are so right...perhaps the reason it is more talked about when it happens on a cruise ship is because of the high amount of people affected at one time...whereas if it happens at a school it may not hit as many because most will just assume it is the flu and not report it

Hey, if the media says it is a cruise ship disease, it has to be true. The media is always objective and accurate...

Waaaaaa haaaaa haaaa haaaaaaa, I couldn't keep a straight face while I was writing that. :) It just goes to show you how easily misled some people can be.

Eric

This past Sunday, after attending a wedding in San Antonio, we were eating at the hotel buffet breakfast. I was floored to see one woman pick up with her bare hands several bagels to see which she wanted putting the others right back. Glad I had already taken one for myself.

Being Easter and all I refrained from calling her out right there in front of everyone... Things like that though allow Noro to spread anywhere several people gather.

This past Sunday, after attending a wedding in San Antonio, we were eating at the hotel buffet breakfast. I was floored to see one woman pick up with her bare hands several bagels to see which she wanted putting the others right back. Glad I had already taken one for myself.

Being Easter and all I refrained from calling her out right there in front of everyone... Things like that though allow Noro to spread anywhere several people gather.

I wouldn't have been able to show such restraint. Last week on the Voyager, I made a comment to a woman barging her way into an elevator while we were trying to get out. She looked at me, stopped and backed away from the door. Everyone just smiled at me. So when it comes to public health I probably would've said something.

I wouldn't have been able to show such restraint. Last week on the Voyager, I made a comment to a woman barging her way into an elevator while we were trying to get out. She looked at me, stopped and backed away from the door. Everyone just smiled at me. So when it comes to public health I probably would've said something.

As we got off NOS we had same situation some overeager kids forcing their way on as we tried to get off...finally I told him sternly get back off and wait for us to get out of the way...his parents were right there, they tried to get him to wait first...they seemed pleased that another adult put the kids in their place. The kid was probably 12ish and darn near knocked over DD...:eek:

Having had noro on one cruise, luckily not severe, I have no problem with calling someone on unacceptable behavior. Reminded someone on last cruise to use the tongs...but he still used his hands!:(

Having had noro on one cruise, luckily not severe, I have no problem with calling someone on unacceptable behavior. Reminded someone on last cruise to use the tongs...but he still used his hands!:(

You could smack his hand :D I had to use restraint because of the Easter holiday and a lot of foreign nationals eating breakfast at the hotel...so as not to cause a big stir. Had I been on the ship, I sure would have said something.

Rancher Dave- I can top that! At a buffet last summer, a woman scoped up some self serve ice cream. She actually licked it while it was on the scope, obviously didn't like it, and threw the scoped ball back into the container. After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I said that wasn't cool, she walked away, so I asked management to remove the scope and contaminated bucket of ice cream. I'm still queasy from it, and it was last summer!

Archived