Balcony upgrade?

sijid

Hi, there! We're going to Alaska in September (woo-hoo!) and have an outside cabin #1836 on the port side of the Volendam for a SB cruise. We just got an offer from HAL to upgrade to a balcony #6219 on the starboard side for roughly double the remaining balance ($1600). I'm leaning towards not taking the offer, because the balcony cabin is on the "wrong" side of the ship for a SB, and because it's a whole lotta dough. But I'm conflicted.:confused:

Does anyone have an opinion?

Sandra

This could be an interesting debate, as so many people have said they would not do an Alaskan cruise without a balcony. Partly based on this, we booked a balcony on our first HAL cruise, which was well above our budget. Wondering now if it was unnecessary? Can any of you experienced cruises share some reasons why it is particularly beneficial to have balconies on an Alaskan cruise? :D :D :D

I wouldn't do it either, for that much money. We went SB last Sept, and while we didn't have a balcony our friend did. We tried to help her get some use out of it while sailing but it was just too darn cold and/or rainy!

Can any of you experienced cruises share some reasons why it is particularly beneficial to have balconies on an Alaskan cruise?
When are you going? Is that the Oosterdam one? From mid-June to mid-August a balcony can be very nice. Outside of that span it will be iffy ... maybe worth the money if you're lucky with the weather, and maybe not. My answer to the OP would have been different if she wasn't going in Sept.

Disclaimer: I book inside cabins.

I've cruised to Alaska four times---the first time in an outside, the rest insides. I can't imagine not being outdoors breathing that fresh air, and seeing the vastness of everything around me. I would find a balcony too restricting.

It's easy on a HAL ship to find a spot outdoors that's out of the wind, and sheltered from the elements. I've been known to put in full 8-hour "work" days enjoying the views from my little corner of that world.

For an extra $1600 you can pay for some extravagant shore excursions (and a gold nugget or two ;) ).

Alaska in September was very rainy. We had been upgraded to the huge aft balcony suite and only used it in Glacier bay, in the rain, I might add, under umbrellas and wearing winter javkets, ski hats, and gloves.

I agree with the above posters, we did not get the use of the balcony and it was a darn good thing that we didn't have to pay for it. We did look at it a lot though, from the warm dry cabin.....

GN

For a cruise in September, we wouldn't pay that much for the upsell.

We have cruised to Alaska 4 times, twice with verandahs and twice without. Our first time our cabin was the on same deck your cabin is on, an outside, and it was in July-it was our very first cruise ever and it was wonderful.

All of our subsequent Alaska cruises were in May, and we used our verandah infrequently due to the weather. Last year in May, we had an outside cabin on the Lower Promenade deck and it was so cold most days, with temps in the 40s, that we were glad we hadn't sprung for a verandah.

I agree with RuthC--enjoy the views from out on Lower Promenade or Aft Lido decks, or up in the Crow's Nest.

Mary Ellen,

Thanks for the info! I couldn't help but notice that you're in Colorado Springs. Me, too!

Yep, we're up here in the north end, up by the Academy. :D

brucory - we've done the Alaskan cruise 5 times. Numbers 3 & 4 were with the balcony because my step-mom & Dad were also with us. Step-mom was very claustrophobic and we needed to be adjacent or very near them. Number four was when we had a S suite. It WAS very nice, with a huge balcony, but I had to force myself to go out there. After all, we were paying for the privilege. ;) Even so, I would estimate that I wasn't even out there 15 minutes - the ENTIRE cruise - and we had wonderful weather that time. DH wasn't even there that long. Step-mom just went out on their balcony once each cruise. She just felt better knowing that she could get outside if she needed to do so.

My thinking is that those who have only taken the Alaskan cruises with balconies don't know what they are missing. Our first two times to Alaska were before cruise ships had private balconies. Another possibility is that they have sailed other lines than HAL. When I've looked at other lines for Alaska, I stick with HAL because some lines really don't have the amount of open deck space that HAL does. We've never had a problem getting up to the railing to see what we want/take pictures. I can see how on other lines one would have to 'stake out' space for the day. :rolleyes: We just wander around according to the view.

What surprises me the most is offering you this when your cruise is a long way away. Your final payment is probably about 90 days away. The only reason they would be contacting you this soon is that someone wants your cabin. This is where you have the advantage and if you want a balcony tell them how much more you want to spend if any and they can decided. Otherwise hang on to what you have. You may see that the prices take a big drop before you make your final payment. September is really a good time to cruise Alaska for the pricing. I remember seeing prices start to drop in June last year for the September sailings so keep watching just before your final payment is due.:)

I agree with Lisa. If you hold out you may get a better deal as time nears for your September cruise. It happened for us. I wasn't negating the benefits of a balcony, we always get one, but admitting we didn't use it much in September in Alaska.

GN

We book a port-side balcony and absolutely would not go again without it. However, it may depend on your weather. We were there for a week-long land tour and then the 7 night SB. A few sprinkles the first and last days and 12 days of glorious sunshine and blue sky. this was the last run of the season in September of 2006. We were on all balcony most of the time. Very relaxing and great way to watch the scenery--even while I was dressing for dinner. Made the hubby far less impatient-- Nice to sit there and have glass of wine before dinner--and enjoyed breakfast out there even in the mornings with our friends adjoining us. Weather is unpredictible but I would never give up that balcony. Without the balcony we would have missed the guy with the trumpet in his motor boat playing "Oh Canada" as we crossed back into the States. Enjoy.

6 Alaska cruises so far, one without a balcony.

We really use our balcony and in Alaska as well as the Caribbean. We book aft so we get the wider view and the wake. Personally, I like having my own deck chair and my own space and not competing for public space on crowded decks. We keep the TV on and run in and listen to the park rangers point out specifics.

If I could not afford a balcony, I would stick with inside and not bother with an outside. To me, these are the only 2 options worth paying for.

Don't forget to consider cabin size and space, regardless of balcony. We are cruising Alaska this year and whether or not there is a balcony is only part of the consideration (and we do want one) but moreover it's the size of the cabin - we want a larger one and that invariably means something with a balcony.

Don't forget to consider cabin size and space, regardless of balcony. We are cruising Alaska this year and whether or not there is a balcony is only part of the consideration (and we do want one) but moreover it's the size of the cabin - we want a larger one and that invariably means something with a balcony.

This is a good point. Something I forgot to mention was that the upsell additional cost from an outside to a balcony was from an obstructed view outside. There was not really much difference in price between an unobstructed view and a balcony guarantee. I did notice on our cruise though that all inside and outsides have long sold out!! Looking forward to enjoying both the public areas and the privacy of our own little niche. thanks for all the stories CC. :D :D :D

Not on HAL. The cabins are pretty standard. The only difference between the outside and the balcony cabin is the balcony. Even with the insides (we prefer the shower stall that these offer), they aren't smaller than the outsides/balconies.

With Vista class ships that may vary. I don't care for them - thus, I haven't sailed them.

Not on HAL. The cabins are pretty standard. The only difference between the outside and the balcony cabin is the balcony. Even with the insides (we prefer the shower stall that these offer), they aren't smaller than the outsides/balconies.

With Vista class ships that may vary. I don't care for them - thus, I haven't sailed them.

You don't care for them but have not sailed them? :confused:

I like Vista class personally and love HALs cabin size and bathroom size. Some of the inside cabins are 40 sq ft larger than others in the same price category so it pays to do some research.

I was told by the HAL representitive that they have an 'extrodinary amount of leeway' with the price before the final payment is made. This was an answer to my question on matching any lower prices I may find before my final payment.

Therefore, I agree with a previous poster- make a counter offer. Also, as in hotel rooms, always ask 3 times if that is the very best offer/price they can give you before you settle.

You don't care for them but have not sailed them? :confused:
I can read deck plans. They don't fit our needs. Simple as that. Why in the world should we spend our $ and limited vacation time on something that isn't right for us :confused:

This is simply not accurate. The OP is sailing on the Volendam. Outside cabin is 197 sq. ft., verandah cabin 292 sq. ft. of which only apart is the actual verandah.

On vista class ships the balcony cabins are very similar to the outsides, but on the R and S class ships the balcony cabins are almost 100 sq ft larger -- they also have significantly more storage space -- closets are similar but there are more drawers and more desk space for storage.

When the price is right (which, admittedly is not often) we enjoy a balcony cabin (particularly on the R and S class ships) and not only for the storage. Whether we use the balcony or not we enjoy the large view and all the light that comes in through the larger windows. The balcony cabins seem less confining.

That said, however, I would not pay an extra $1600 for an upgrade. I would try to bargain because if they are offering this now there must be some pressure. It is possible that you could get both a balcony and a bargain.

I can read deck plans. They don't fit our needs. Simple as that. Why in the world should we spend our $ and limited vacation time on something that isn't right for us :confused:

Spend your money any way you please. It was a simple question not a challenge.

This is simply not accurate. The OP is sailing on the Volendam. Outside cabin is 197 sq. ft., verandah cabin 292 sq. ft. of which only apart is the actual verandah.
The majority of that (if not vast majority) IS the veranda (cabin about 10' wide by 7' deep = 70 sq' feet (just estimating the measurements). I've stayed in everything from an inside to a S suite. The only one that 'lives' larger than the others is the S. ;)

If you doubt me (and obviously you do), just go look at the HAL site for the deck plans. For economy of building, the vast majority of cabins are the same width (odd sizes when you get to the bow/stern) so no question there. Put some paper up to your screen. With one end of the paper at the end of a cabin, draw a line at the other end. Now compare this to the other type, be it outside or veranda. The cabins are basically the same size. :rolleyes:

caviargal - I was merely explaining why I wasn't speaking for the Vistas. But I'll sleep better now that I have your permission. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice! We decided it just wasn't worth the money. Apparently HAL is having trouble selling the cruise right now--they just knocked $340/pp off our price. I told the TA that I might still consider a balcony, but only for the right price (like, say, free?:D ).

Mary Ellen, we're central, near the Valley Hi golf course.

Archived