Carnival Cruise Under 17 kids/tween group club requirements needs be by age and grade

catscaritas

Unfortunately at this point Carnival is not doing their job.

Which is service.

Several travel agents and web hosts have said, "they are deaf to suggestions or complaints"

Constant issues with the website,short tempered

agents,illogical rules...ad infinitum...are going to

cloud my review even before I get on board.

As a writer I am bound to be objective as well as truthfull.

My issue:

My son is in Sixth grade but not yet 12.

He is going be excluded from his friends from school on the cruises Club C because the requirement has been set up by age and not grade AND age.

Even in Summer Camp there is a slant to this rule.

To create inclusion and not exclusion.

I finally got an agent at Carnival to ask about Club

C.(the 12-14 Club on the boat)

The response was less than kind or compassionate....or even reasonable.

Apparently they do not create the under 17 groupings

by grade and/or age but specifically by age ONLY.

The agent was extremely argumentative. Telling me this has been an issue for awhile because of an incident with an older boy and a younger girl.

This absolute staunch response to what should be a personal "customer service" type question was not at all service oriented.

A disaster in the making,an argumentative customer service rep.

The kids want to be with their grade....more than anything.

For my son,6th grade has a status.

Right now he is

thinking he will be able to hang out with the boys he

knows who are in the same grade.

Only to find out because he has a later birthdate he

will be excluded.

(I wish they would put people in charge of planning

that actually have children.)

The agent told me they are very strict about the

grouping.

They had an issue with it last year and made a mandate

that the age rule had to be strictly adhered to.

I get their argument :that if they made an

accomodation for us,they would have to do it for

everyone.

My argument is that this is a service

industry.Accomodations are their business. Finding

ways to make people comfortable and happy should be

the PRIORITY,the standard.

Not what makes it easier, but what makes it better.

And if something is not working (like this rule that

the agent clearly stated is not working)

Be smart enough to change it.

It is just good business.

I am sure if you re-created or modified the rule to

say.."age 12 or Sixth grade" etc...so the kids could

stay with classmates, many would be grateful. And it

would help the cruiseline in PR and customer

relations.

People like to know they are heard and if you put

action behind it...well..then you get LOYALTY.

Something I think service industries thrive on.

Don't you?

You want me back...right?

Now I get to explain to my son that an idiotic and not

well thought rule is going to keep him from hanging

out with his friends.

I don't look forward to it.

The thing is,he is such a nice kid,he will make it

work.

Instead of the cruise line making it work.

Which is dissapointing as the guest/client/customer.

I should have checked the rules before I booked.

I picked this cruise specifically for my son.

It is his graduation present.

Now I have failed him in a sense.

We will make it work though.

We are "the glass is half full" kind of people.

We always make the best of it.

I would like some awareness given to this issue by the

cruiseline.

How do I get their attention?

How do I "turn on" their deaf ear?

I know we are not going to change this over night.

But for the near future. Future guests, I want to make an effort.

I am definately going to write about the incident.

Maybe "muddy" press will help draw attention to the

oversight.

And it really is an oversight.

I am sure if there was a mom planning the kids/tweens/teens boat

"culture",they would have considered this factor.

It is just something they need to consider ammending.

For the customers sake.

Happy kids ,make happy parents.

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

Carnival Cruise line needs to Listen Up!

Well you better get your pen ready because EVERY cruiseline groups by age. :eek: ;)

And ever hear the phrase, "you get more bees with honey"? I've been on Carnival, twice and HAVE been able to move a child up to be with friends.

All you have to do is to ask the counselor NICELY. I didn't write letters and state demands before I even stepped on the ship. ;)

And the more I think about it, our kids are divided by ages (not grades) everywhere. Wonder if a child was held back, then they should be kept in that grade on a ship too? What about sports, I know for a fact that my pre-schooler couldn't start Youth soccer or t-ball but the kids in her class could. The cut off date was 4 by April 1st...she turns 4 April 27th :)

This is not the end of the world. You do realize that you are getting all worked up about a vacation? Just goes to prove how much you truly need that vacation. :D

My first suggestion is not to be as verbose as you are in your post. I stopped reading after three paragraphs and the people at the cruise line would have stopped after one. You need to put your feelings in a very short, concise letter.

As to your problem, unless your son is going to be on board with the rest of his friends on this cruise, what's the problem? I understand the feeling of his being a big boy and the status of being in sixth grade, but what's the deal with being in whatever group? Like I said, unless you're cruising with his entire class from school, no one will care one tiny bit about his age and the group he's in. And, as another said, that's the rules for every cruise line, and regardless of their reasons, it is their rule. You either abide by it, or not. Every line has their club set by age, and that's just the nature of the beast and all the letters in the world won't change how they've been running their program for decades. Cruise lines have to draw the line somewhere or else there would be complete chaos with parents and kids bucking the system. There are age restrictions throughout a child's life. Either your work around it, or not participate in whatever activity has the age limits, be it a cruise or sports team. Your only out is to see if, once you board, they'll allow him in the older group. But if you're cruising when there are lots of kids on board, their age rules are very strict.

Sorry you did not get my intended intention in my post.

I am a writer and I am given the assignment to critique the whole package.

I think my right to ask questions and request awareness on a subject is in the constitution. I think to go along with things is OK when it is working. When something isn't working well,then we work to improve it.

Yes I am opinionated and can word things in a way that may seem strong.

I am simply trying to source solutions.

Practical ways to make it a better experience.

No need to insult me.

By all means ignore me if I upset you.

That is in the constitution too.

So, now we do the groups by grade, not age. What do you do over the summer? Do you use the grade they just finished or the one they are going into? What about a 12th grader who is 18 and is legally an adult but wants to hang out with his friends, can he go in too?

No system is going to work for every kid at every point in their lifetime. I would be very hesitant to push an almost 12 yr old up into a 12-14 yr old group that at times is combined with a 15-17 yr old group.

Sorry you did not get my intended intention in my post.

I am a writer and I am given the assignment to critique the whole package.

I think my right to ask questions and request awareness on a subject is in the constitution. I think to go along with things is OK when it is working. When something isn't working well,then we work to improve it.

Yes I am opinionated and can word things in a way that may seem strong.

I am simply trying to source solutions.

Practical ways to make it a better experience.

No need to insult me.

By all means ignore me if I upset you.

That is in the constitution too.

I am a "writer" too and have no problem questioning things, when it makes sense.

It IS working. You are seriously the first person to come on these boards and complain that the groups should be divided by GRADES. Basically you are trying to make this argument because YOUR child doesn't fit into the group YOU want him to.

Let's just say my child skips a grade...does that allow me to put her in a higher group because she is on the same intelligence level? :confused:

Your argument doesn't make sense. At all. And luckily my right to say that is protected as well.

Welcome to the public message board.

My middle son just completed a cruise on Carnival Valor - 2 weeks before his 12th birthday. Yes, he stayed with the younger group even though he was older than every other kid in the group. Yes, he had a great time and made some new friends. No, I don't see a problem with the rules.

If I take my son on a cruise this fall, he will be 11 and in 6th grade, same as your son. In fact most children on the cruise who turned 11 in an October through June time period will be in the 6th grade while they are 11. That means tons of 6th graders in the 9-11 group. Your son won't be the lone 6th grader. He will be with plenty of kids his same age, and plenty in his same grade.

There are some great activities for 11 year olds, my son loves it. You may consider printing out some of the Camp Capers pages that many thoughtful posters have provided in other threads and let your son look through the activites and choose what he likes. Maybe that will help him to be excited about his age group.

I think you are right.

My suggestion was actually to use both elements age and grade.

In Santa Barbara all the camps we use do this.

Because it is subjective.

But I hear you when you suggest he may not be ready for the 12-14.

You all who have experience with this will know more than me. And I defer to that wisdom.

I guess I just don't understand why some people..

(present company accepted, I honestly appreciate what you have written very much)

.. feel they have to personally attack me as a human as a mom.

I questioned a "rule".

Named no names.

Just an opinion and suggestion.

Now I feel a little scared about cruising alone with my son if folks are going be aggressive about a "suggestion".

We are in America, right?

I am decendent of John Adams, he had a big mouth too.

Look where it got him.

Oh well.

i am learning.

Thanks again

Now this is what I was looking for...thank you for not yelling at me!

I must admit..I had negated the notion that perhaps there would be another young 6th grader.

Wow.

Can I plead hormonal imbalance and menopause and leave it at that.

Just want the boy to have the BEST possible time.

He has had a hard year and come through it admirably.

Thank you again for your generous suggestions.

Will you tell me how to find the "capers" you suggested.

You may have to explain this to me like you are explaining it to a five year old....cause I am new to the "cruise world". ;?)

The OP doesn't realize that age/grade is variant throughout the USA.

What does the OP propose for home schooled children?

I have to agree with Cruisinmama - the argument doesn't make sense whatsoever.

BTW- I was an 18 year old senior in high school. Because of the date of my birthday, I could drink for most of my senior year. Based on the OP's arguments, the whole senior class should have been able to drink, since they were twelfth graders (some of the students wouldn't turn 18 until college)!:rolleyes:

Thank you again for your generous suggestions.

Will you tell me how to find the "capers" you suggested.

You may have to explain this to me like you are explaining it to a five year old....cause I am new to the "cruise world". ;?)

No problem. Here is the link:

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/cruisinmama06/

cruisinmama06, who responded to you earlier, is actually who put this together as a resource for all of us, so big thanks to her.

After you click on the link, look in the top left corner and click on 'Camp Carnival'. This will take you to a few pages of Carnival Kids activities. Look for your ship, and for the 9-11 age group. If your ship isn't listed, you'll want to pick the pages of a similar ship. If you need help with that, just post here what ship and itinerary you are going on, and we can help you find a good match.

I guess I just don't understand why some people..

(present company accepted, I honestly appreciate what you have written very much)

.. feel they have to personally attack me as a human as a mom.

Believe me when I tell you that you were in no way "attacked as a mom"...the family boards are mild compared to the main boards. To attack you as a mom would be to say something like "Why are you taking a child on a cruise alone?" and believe me, on the main boards you would see responses like that.

I apologize if I came off as rude, but I just seriously had to question the reasons you were so upset. You explained it. We understand. Your son will have a FABULOUS time, no doubt.

Ellanora is right. The 9-11 group has some really good activities. For some reason once they get to 12-14, the activities are more limited.

I see you are going on Carnival Paradise. I do have the activities pages for Carnival Paradise (9-11 group) here (bottom of page)

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/cruisinmama06/Camp%20Carnival%20Capers/

Use the schedule as a guide only, the activities do change so they are not carved in stone.

Have a great cruise!

While it was never mentioned on this thread, even though these cruises originate in the US, there may be children from other countries. And those other countries have different rules, laws, and ideas about schooling and at what ages different things should begin (and they are called different things too). So age really is the best way to break things down in this type of environment.

And to the OP - the only kids I've seen not having a good time in the kids' program of what ever line were the ones who didn't want to participate. If your son wants to participate and wants to have a fantastic time, he will.

The kids/teen club ages on CCL and RCCL will not work as well for my 3 DD's who will be 13 and 15 when we cruise. We all like the idea of them spending some time together in activities which gives mom and dad some time together in the evening. We chose NCL for our next cruise which has a teen program for 13-17 year olds. We had a great time on CCL but our twins who were 6 weeks shy of 12 would have had more fun if they were in the older group and allowed to participate with their sister. For the record I did not ask for them to be moved up, we knew the age groups when we booked the cruise.

Karysa

On our cruise in October this year I will have an 11 yr old DD in the 6th grade. I hadn't really given much thought to the fact that she may want to participate in the older group. She will be 12 about 2 1/2 weeks after we return, but I don't think I will ask for her to be moved up. I have looked at the activities for both groups and I think she would enjoy the 9-11 group more. Just my opinions.:rolleyes:

On our cruise in October this year I will have an 11 yr old DD in the 6th grade. I hadn't really given much thought to the fact that she may want to participate in the older group. She will be 12 about 2 1/2 weeks after we return, but I don't think I will ask for her to be moved up. I have looked at the activities for both groups and I think she would enjoy the 9-11 group more. Just my opinions.:rolleyes:

Every child is different and she will most likely have a great time in the 9-11 year old group. I know that mine would have rather spent the time in the disco with their older sister from 9-10 then with DH and myself. We spent most of the days as a family so I know that this would have been a good bonding experience for them.

Karysa

crusinmama, thanks for the capers and the replys here......I had planned to do the same as you did about the age grouping situation, so your post gave me good hope......my grandson is 13, in 7th grade and of the emotional/mental mindset of the younger aged kids.....blends best with 9-11 year olds which is the age of the other children we will be taking with us.....I had called Carnival about it, they were courteous, professional and yes reminded me of the rules.......I'd then just planned to personally talk to the counselor very nicely and see it he could be included with his family and friends but if not......well we are on a CRUISE baby, and we are going to have a great time! 'nuff said

We're cruising NCL. My son will "just" have turned 13. I hate that he will be in the 13-17 year old group! He's not socially or emotionally ready to "hang" with 17 year olds! I am praying that they let me move him down!! I couldn't imagine moving my child "up" unless they had an older sibling or friend along too.

Ditto here-- DD, who is in Grade 6, will turn 12 approx 6 weeks after we return. Her major gripe about wanting to be in the 12-14 group is so that she doesn't get stuck w/ her younger brother in the 9-11 group. And, of course, b/c she sees herself as more "worldly" and mature.

Truthfully, as a mom, I'd prefer she remain w/ the 9-11 group. IMHO, there's a world of difference in moving up to the 12-14 level.

I think you are right.

My suggestion was actually to use both elements age and grade.

In Santa Barbara all the camps we use do this.

Because it is subjective.

Thanks again

I had to bust out laughing on your posts. I live down the street in Ojai. You will get lots of good advice here, but your son is still his age and that is how ships do things.:D Your son may not be interested in the kids clubs. Ran into that on a cruise with my sisters boys. around that age. They begin to define themselves just before puberty.

And if you want grade and age what about size. I have a nephew over six foot tall still in grade school. People think he is older. His voice has not even changed yet.:eek:

Before thinking about writing try things out. Your son will have fun. A good article would be one written if you walk in blind with no expectations.

Archived