Another carrier added to list on 2nd bag

Paula B

I just read this on AOL news. I'm so glad it doesn't come into effect until May since I'm on NWA and already packed.

Airlines Charging For Extra Bags

Carrier: Northwest Airlines

Fee: $25, on North American flights

Date effective: May 5

Bags over 50 pounds will now cost $50 extra. Frequent fliers and full-fare passengers can still check two bags without paying extra. First-class passengers get three bags for free.

Paula B.

Get ready for charges on ALL checked luggage. Read an article on MSN Travel and most insiders said that it isn't if but when all carriers start doing this. A few of the airlines have already started.

Seeing alot more "carry on" luggage being utilized when this happens, which will mean slowdowns for take off as everybody is trying to get their luggage in the overhead bins.

My husband and I were just talking this morning if they will have enough room for all the carry on bags people will be carrying. I'm sure they will be pushing the limit on the size they are trying to stuff in the bins.

Paula B.

My husband and I were just talking this morning if they will have enough room for all the carry on bags people will be carrying. I'm sure they will be pushing the limit on the size they are trying to stuff in the bins.
There already isn't enough room. Every single flight I've been on over the past year or two, the plane has left the gate late because passengers are still juggling and moving suitcases around to squeeze theirs in. One time, I saw a guy arrive late, just before we were about to leave the gate. He actually took a lady's bag out of the bin, put it in the aisle and put his in it's place. I would have yelled but she just meekly stuffed it under the seat in front of her where it barely fit and she was uncomfortable for a six hour flight.

That is actually worse than 25 bucks for a second bag. I have been known to be soo close to 50 lb bag on the way in that the return flight is always questionable on the bag weight...

At least the last 5 years. Some will waive it if your 2 bags together aren't over 100, others will make you shift stuff or pay. We weigh bags before departure. Have gotten a pretty good feel for too heavy....

I just read this on AOL news. I'm so glad it doesn't come into effect until May since I'm on NWA and already packed.

Airlines Charging For Extra Bags

Carrier: Northwest Airlines

Fee: $25, on North American flights

Date effective: May 5

Bags over 50 pounds will now cost $50 extra. Frequent fliers and full-fare passengers can still check two bags without paying extra. First-class passengers get three bags for free.

Paula B.

Where did you get info? From NW? I heard on the news that the $25 extra bag fee is one-way so you'll actually be paying $50 per extra bag for round trip.

Also, will all Frequent fliers be able to check two bags or just Frequent flier elite?

I first read it on my AOL news then I went to NWA website and this is the print out:

With the new luggage policy, how many pieces of luggage am I allowed at no charge when traveling Coach Class within the US/Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean?

For tickets issued before March 29, 2008: One piece of carry-on luggage and two pieces of checked luggage are allowed free of charge, provided they are within the maximum weight and size restrictions (maximum 50 pounds each, total linear dimension of 62 inches each).

For tickets issued on or after March 29, 2008 for travel on or after May 5, 2008: One piece of carry-on luggage and one piece of checked luggage allowed free of charge, provided it is within the maximum weight and size restrictions (maximum 50 pounds each, total linear dimension of 62 inches each)

What are the new fees for excess checked luggage?

For travel within North America on or after May 5, 2008 a $25 fee each-way will be assessed for the second piece of checked luggage and $100 each-way for each bag thereafter.

Paula B.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is only for flight within North America. International flights have different requirements and even on United you can have 2 bags for free if flying to an international destination. The weight is limited at 50#'s

You need to check each airline to see what level of FF miles it applies to and how they break it down.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is only for flight within North America. International flights have different requirements

For those doing T/A, one direction is international (2 bag limit) and one direction is not (1 bag limit).

Could you please explain this? I don't understand the difference.

Assume you are doing a T/A from Rome to Fort Lauderdale and you live in Arizona.

Flights from Arizona to Rome - considered international and you are allowed two checked bags at no extra charge.

Flights from Fort Lauderdale back to Arizona - not international. Must pay $25 for that 2nd bag.

Paula B.

I fly frequently to Houston from Dallas. Most passengers carry on their bags as many are just making short business trips. I have noticed that if you are towards the end of the boarding process, they will often make you check your bag right before you board because they have run out of space in the overheads.

I assume this will also happen more often as these regulations take effect. There is only so much room in the cabin. As far as size, if it won't fit through the x-ray machine in security, it's not going on the plane as a carry-on bag. I'm not sure how anything would change in this regard.

We are wondering how this will affect us with the EZ check program in Vancouver...we qualify for the exemption of 2 bags per person (we purchased our tickets last week), but wonder if Princess will only allow one bag per person to checked through directly? Only time will tell...

I travel on NWA almost every week. Those of us who have elite status are allowed to board first. Even though there is a limit of one carry-on and one other small bag (purse, PC bag, etc.), I see many of my colleagues with 2 big bags -- and sometimes 3 including a purse. Then when the last PAXs are loading, there is no room left for their bags, even though they have followed the rules. Doesn't seem right that the rules are not enforced. I guess they don't want to upset the business travelers who pay often full fare. NWA did send me an email assuring me that I will not be charged for 2 checked bags. I am not sure if that is for all levels of elite or only the top tier.

You should try flying from the UK! One size restricted hand luggage (size of a briefcase/lap-top bag), although some have now started to allow two bags carry-on.

Most low-cost airlines now charge for any hold luggage. Fortunately the charter airlines for cruises tend to allow 20-25KG (44-55lb) checked hold luggage.

I travel on NWA almost every week. Those of us who have elite status are allowed to board first. Even though there is a limit of one carry-on and one other small bag (purse, PC bag, etc.), I see many of my colleagues with 2 big bags -- and sometimes 3 including a purse. Then when the last PAXs are loading, there is no room left for their bags, even though they have followed the rules. Doesn't seem right that the rules are not enforced. I guess they don't want to upset the business travelers who pay often full fare. NWA did send me an email assuring me that I will not be charged for 2 checked bags. I am not sure if that is for all levels of elite or only the top tier.

I am only silver elite, but did get e-mail notification that I would be exempt from the one bag limit (as well as any other pax flying with me on the same reservation).

:confused: When we fly to San Juan in December, we fly Alaska then American outbound, and American then Delta on the return. Will we only be charged on the flights within the continental US or could we possibly be charged by both? (Assuming by December that they all will be charging the extra bag charge)

United is now charging $25 for checking a second suitcase (per passenger). Also just saw a note that American has sent notice to the Canadian government that they will start charging for a second bag (Canadian gov't requires 45 day notice....so we think the charge will start to affect US flights in around 45 days). Most US airlines will also charge you if your bags are over 50 pounds, though this charge is sometimes waived if you have 'status' in their frequent flier programs (example - Delta SkyMiles Medallion program)

Thank goodness the ships have washers and dryers! Sounds like soon all we'll be allowed to carry or check is just a backpack...for a week's worth of clothes :D

Flying is definitely becoming the most challenging part of planning a trip...fuel surcharges, baggage fees, cramped quarters, aircraft maintenance concerns, and cancelled flights or reschedules....

Make sure you check your flights/itinerary a LOT. We have found that the airlines are starting to make changes without notifying you (even though you've provided all contact info). Our flights for this month's cruise have changed no fewer than 9 times...and the airline only called us for 1 of those changes. :eek:

I just can't comprehend needed to check two suitcases per person ever. Who needs that much stuff? Don't all the cruise ships have laundry/dry cleaning now? Not trying to be mean or anything, I just really don't understand the need for that much stuff on vacation. :confused:

I just can't comprehend needed to check two suitcases per person ever. Who needs that much stuff? Don't all the cruise ships have laundry/dry cleaning now? Not trying to be mean or anything, I just really don't understand the need for that much stuff on vacation. :confused:

You may have never had a cruise that goes from the tropics to Antarctica which requies warm weather clothing as well as cold weather clothing including bulky sweaters and jackets. Add to that what you need for a land stay before/after the cruise. Not easy to fit all that in one suitcase with a packed weight of no more than 50 pounds.

Archived