Confused- Car Seats on Planes

WineDown17

I have seen so many threads on car seats, and what is allowed/not allowed on planes, etc, and I hoping ot get some clarification.. I have a fe specific questions:

1. Are you required to have a car seat on a plane for a 2 year old? What are the benefits? (Sorry, bt if the plane crashes, I am thinking the car seat wont really help.. terrbile thought, but very different from a car accident).

2. I am thinking it will be night, and he will be sleeping in a reclined position.. so a car seat will not be good..Am I complletely naive?!?!

3. The Eddie Bauer and other portables- A firnd of mine swears by the portable seats for European travel- Have those who have used them been pleased/felt they were safe?

Thanks folks!

I don't think a car seat is required for a 2 year old. In case of an actual crash it might not make a difference, however, it could make a difference in an emergency landing or even severe turbulence.

When we flew with our 2 & 1/2 year old we took ours primarily because we were flying at bedtime and we hoped he would be sleeping. I figured sleeping in the car seat was familiar, a plane seat was not. For us it worked like a charm, he fell asleep and slept the whole flight. My sister-in-law recently flew with her two year old and she did not take the car seat. She regrets not taking it as she had to spend most of the flight re-buckling my nephew. He thought it was great fun to unbuckle the seatbelt.

The cons of bringing the car seat. It is sort of a pain to carry. We had my older son's small rolling suitcase and just buckled the chest strap around the handle and rolled the car seat through the airport. You will not be able to use the tray table. It also puts the seat in front in kicking range. We were lucky and did not have a problem with kicking.

Another late flight tip, put them in their pajamas makes it easier when you get where you are going!

Any thoughts on using the Eddie Bauer on the plane??

I just think he will be terribly uncomfortable trying to sleep in his normal seat on a 6 hour flight at night time sitting erect.. My neck gets sore just thinking about it.

Its a tough call.. Luckily I have a while to figure it all out!

Sorry, back again! My children are now older so they are not in car seats, like I mentioned before. They have a very hard time sleeping on the plane. They way the seats recline does not seem to help young children and they don't have the side of the car seat to rest their heads on. They tend to end up slumped on a coat over the armrest and wake easily. I would imagine it would be the same at 2, but maybe someone who has not taken a seat on for a two year old may know.

We have not used the Eddie Bauer portable, but I am not sure it is FAA approved (which a seat has to be to take on a plane) Cruisemama I am sure knows.

Hopefully my other followup helps give you an idea about the sleeping erect in a car seat, -vs- in the plane seat reclined. Keep in mind if you are in coach that the seat really only reclines a couple inches if that!

... bt if the plane crashes, I am thinking the car seat wont really help.. terrbile thought, but very different from a car accident)...

I would have to disagree with you on this point. Many aircaft crashes can in fact be similar to car crashes. The last two major crashes I can think of at Toronto and London Heathrow involving western airlines were non-catastrophic landing incidents. In each of these cases a car seat would significantly improve the chances that your child won't be hurt.

BTW - We always flew with car seats when our kids were young. It was worth it to us even though it was a pain navigating the terminal with even more stuff.

Thanks again- It is so hard to know. I guess sleeping in a carr seat is "normal" to some 2 year olds. Mine doesnt actually go in the car that much... but does enoy it. He will be in it more this summer...

And the whole reclining thing.. Uggh. I know. I am hoping we can afford business class for our TA flights.. but time will tell.. they usually recline much further..

Your points are really appreciated.. I just have no idea what will/wont work!! So I need to make an educated guess.. so your feedback is wonderful.

I thik Cruisinmama shoudl start charging...:)

Question

Which child restraint systems does FAA approve for use on aircraft?trnsp.gif Answer The FAA does not control the approval of hard-backed child restraint systems (CRS). Nor does it recommend one over another. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards set the standards that manufacturers must meet in order to sell approved CRSs. Only then are two labels approved to be attached to the seat and must read as follows:

• This child restraint system conforms to all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards.
  • THIS RESTRAINT SYSTEM IS CERTIFIED FOR USE IN MOTOR VEHICLES AND AIRCRAFT.

A list of approved, crash tested seats is maintained by NHTSA's Office of Vehicle Safety, Compliance, and Equipment Branch.

In September 2006, the FAA approved a new type of child safety device for use on commercial airline flights. Passengers may use an FAA-approved harness-type device, approved only for use on aircraft, that attaches to the aircraft seat. It is not approved for use in motor vehicles. The device uses an additional belt and shoulder harness that goes around the seat back and attached to the passenger lap belt, providing improved upper torso restraint. It is appropriate for children weighing between 22 and 44 pounds. The device provides an alternative to using a forward-facing child safety seat.For more information about flying with children , visit our website.

So.. If I read this right, if the seat has the statesment:

THIS RESTRAINT SYSTEM IS CERTIFIED FOR USE IN MOTOR VEHICLES AND AIRCRAFT.

On it, you can use it on an airplane...

The FAA does not list any specific restraint systems other than the CARES system, which is NOT approved for motor vehicles.

Just thought I would put this on here for anyone else that may need the info.

You can find this info at www.faa.gov as well.

Once a child is over 2, you don't have to bring a carseat.

I do, however because as odd as it sounds, being in a carseat is much more comfortable for my kids. My 5 year old struggles to get comfortable in an airline seat now (she's now in a booster that's not FAA approved, so she is just in the regular seat) while my son just rests his head on the side of his seat and sleeps very comfortably.

The Eddie Bauer portable car seat is NOT FAA approved.

I agree with previous posters who suggest using a car seat for your two year old. Even though they aren't requried, they are suggested. And, it makes 'controlling' the youngester that much easier. Especially, if he is used to riding in a car restrained. It will be just another 'car ride' and he won't be so into getting up and walking around, etc. If you're concerned about his comfort while sleeping, look for a neck donut or just roll up one of the airline blankets to support his head. And don't forget his favorite blanket or stuff animal, etc.

I have a question along the same lines. My one year old just moved up into a Graco Comfort Sport Convertible Car Seat. It says it is approved for airline use, I even bought the cool 'GoGoKidz' wheely thing so I can take it around the airport with ease. But looking at the seat, and a coach airline seat...will it really fit?

Has anyone had experience with this seat on an airplane?

We've previously used a car seat and not used a car seat. Had a seat for her, and not had a seat for her. We've got some really long flights coming up and I'm trying to figure out whether to bring the seat or not.

I have a question along the same lines. My one year old just moved up into a Graco Comfort Sport Convertible Car Seat. It says it is approved for airline use, I even bought the cool 'GoGoKidz' wheely thing so I can take it around the airport with ease. But looking at the seat, and a coach airline seat...will it really fit?

Has anyone had experience with this seat on an airplane?

We've previously used a car seat and not used a car seat. Had a seat for her, and not had a seat for her. We've got some really long flights coming up and I'm trying to figure out whether to bring the seat or not.

We took our Graco Comfort Sport Convertible car seat, now the one we have is 4 years old now so I don't know how much the design has changed. It fit O.K., our son was just over a year when we did it and we still had him rear facing in the car. The car seat would not fit rear facing in the plane so we just put it forward facing.

Any thoughts on using the Eddie Bauer on the plane??

I just think he will be terribly uncomfortable trying to sleep in his normal seat on a 6 hour flight at night time sitting erect.. My neck gets sore just thinking about it.

Its a tough call.. Luckily I have a while to figure it all out!

Young children are way more resiliant than we adults are. Your child will probably be more comfortable is a car seat he is familiar with no matter what the length of the flight. I think you would be wasting your money buying something that isn't broken in.

We travelled with our daughter for 6 hrs flights to Hawaii 4 times a year when she was 2 and on. We bought the carseat that turns into a stroller that has the FAA approved sticker on it (I forget the name, there was only one manufacturer at the time, I think its called the "sit and roll" or something catchy like that.) Anyhow, it was a great investment (got it used on Ebay but was still close to $100 w/ s/h.) You can roll the little one through the airport to the plane (with wide aisles even down to the seat). It closes very easily and compactly. We've even on several occasions, folded it up while she was sleeping for an uninterupted transfer to/from the plane. At 2-4, she slept better in it due to the cushioned wings on side and stayed put better since it has the usual 5-point harness they're used to. The plane's seat belt goes over the seat into these little slots, so just buckle up and go (occasionally required an extender). With the seat back we could tip the carseat back propping a jacket under the front, so she could sleep even more reclined. It does bring their feet close to the seat in front, so kicking needs to be monitored and the tray doesn't come down all the way to use properly. When she got older (4ish), our daughter preferred lying down in our laps for long flights, using the tray table to color, etc. But, we still brought the stroller/carseat on flights and just gate checked (makes a great carryon holder when the kids want to walk instead of ride).

It was fabulous in Europe, strolling around and then closing up and lugging down to the trains. Many naps were taken in it during museum jaunts and waiting for the 9pm dinners in Spain! Can't recommend this more highly. Still using it 6 yrs later for our 2nd son (who at 3 prefers not to use it on planes, he's bigger than his sister, so I don't think it lasted as long for him). I'm also finding that taxi's are more and more requiring a carseat, so its handy to have just for that purpose as well. I hate rental car, taxi provided carseats (yuck).

My best advice on planes is bring fun things to do (travel playdough, books esp. with flaps/popups to manipulate, cars/dolls, coloring and activity books, and something new that will immediately capture their attention), teach them early about the lights that indicate you can/can't walk around, always have healthy snacks, drinks and gum (for popping older kids ears) at the ready, and a portable DVD player provides much needed downtime for M&D on long trips. Also, let them walk around (or roll around on a blanket for babies) in the airport as much as possible (I've never got the parents who keep their kids all quiet and in their laps at the terminal; what are they thinking?!)

Have a good trip.

Thanks. As the dates get closer we will be much better prepared to make the right decision. It can get very expensive just buying all the "stuff" we "need" for the trip!!! But clearly, we need to do what is best for DS.

However I do want to stress to so many posters who claim things are "not FAA approved".. There is no such thing!! See my above post.. It is NHTSA that approves seats for use in cars/airplanes. I know this is a nit, but want to be sure readers understand the governing process, and where they can get accurate info...

However I do want to stress to so many posters who claim things are "not FAA approved".. There is no such thing!! See my above post.. It is NHTSA that approves seats for use in cars/airplanes. I know this is a nit, but want to be sure readers understand the governing process, and where they can get accurate info...

Sorry WineDown17 but there IS such a thing. ;) My seat says "FAA approved for aircraft use"

Let me try to clarify some of these things. Is it law for a child 2 and under to be in a car seat on a plane, NOPE.

Can you take your child 2 and under on a plane without a car seat? YES.

In fact, many airlines allow "lap babies" under 2 to fly FREE as long as they don't take up a seat.

Is it safer to BUY a ticket for the under 2 child, YES. Will the child be more comfortable in a car seat during the flight, YES. And the seat MUST have a sticker on the side that says approved for aircraft use.

There is a mom from this board who has a blog about flying with children. She has all you'll need to know cause she is a flight attendant.

http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com/

And the Eddie Bauer travel seat that we use in taxis is not approved for a plane.

And a link to a site that shows many of the "FAA approved seats" ;)

http://www.carseatsite.com/recommended_car_seats.htm

AND from Southwest Airlines about the need for an "FAA approved seat"

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/infants.html

An excerpt from that site...Traveling with the infant in an FAA approved car seat:

• Affordable Infant Fares are available that enable a Customer to reserve a seat for an infant and use his/her FAA approved car seat.

Those are great links. Thanks.. However, and I mean this is a nice way-I am not a flamer poster- regardless of what the seat says, as of today the FAA does NOT approve any seats directly.

This is a DIRECT QUOTE from the FAA website when asked which seats it "approves" for flying:

Answer The FAA does not control the approval of hard-backed child restraint systems (CRS). Nor does it recommend one over another. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards set the standards that manufacturers must meet in order to sell approved CRSs. Only then are two labels approved to be attached to the seat and must read as follows:

• This child restraint system conforms to all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards.
  • THIS RESTRAINT SYSTEM IS CERTIFIED FOR USE IN MOTOR VEHICLES AND AIRCRAFT.

A list of approved, crash tested seats is maintained by NHTSA's Office of Vehicle Safety, Compliance, and Equipment Branch.

In September 2006, the FAA approved a new type of child safety device for use on commercial airline flights. Passengers may use an FAA-approved harness-type device, approved only for use on aircraft, that attaches to the aircraft seat. It is not approved for use in motor vehicles. The device uses an additional belt and shoulder harness that goes around the seat back and attached to the passenger lap belt, providing improved upper torso restraint. It is appropriate for children weighing between 22 and 44 pounds. The device provides an alternative to using a forward-facing child safety seat.For more information about flying with children , visit our website.

So- what i say is correct.. at least based on the FAA.gove website as of today. However as I previously stated, it may more of a nomenclature issue-NHTSA approves them, and the FAA simply follows along with their recommendations. but I want folks to know what source wesbites they can go on for the information they are seeking, vs second hand websites that may be out of date vs the governments. (although, i cringe just writing that!)

Those are great links. Thanks.. However, and I mean this is a nice way-I am not a flamer poster- regardless of what the seat says, as of today the FAA does NOT approve any seats directly.

I see what you are saying. And I honestly have NO idea why the term is "FAA approved"...but any site you look at, no matter if you are buying a seat or booking a flight, they all use that terminology when referring to car seats in planes. Have no idea why...but they do. ;) It's just a mystery :p

To keep good moms like us chasing our tails!! :p I would not be surprised if I went on the NHTSA website and saw something that said just the opposite!! ("NHTSA does not approve carseats for FAA use.. or something crazy like that! I wont even look!)

BTW- You do a great job with your posts.. I have learned a ton from them. I hope I have the opportunity to become as much as an expert as you.. meaning I get to take lot more of cruises in the future!! We used to cruise often- with and without my older son, but have taken a few years off since I had DS#2 last year.. I miss it so much!

This cruise is ending up costing more than we imagined.. so i am being extra careful before I buy things, make decisions, etc. The info you and others provide is a godsend!! Every penny I save can be spent on excursions.. or put into college funds!! :D

when our son was 2 1/2, we flew to florida. we used his car seat on the flight there, but when we came back, we were told we couldn't use the car seat due to the metal on it. they told us that in the event of an aborted take-off/landing, the sudden change would buckle the metal in the car seat.

so, if you want to take the car seat, be sure it is the type allowed on the plane. our trip was 12 years ago, so i'm sure lots of changes have been made since that time.

Archived