Los Angeles Hotel Recommendation

Frivolous

Depends on what your definition of "best" is. We like the Embassy Suites (there are 2 not far from the airport with shuttle service to/from LAX). Both have an actual one room suite; both have a full, complimentary breakfast;both have a manager's reception (comp. well libations) each evening with finger food.

We have not heard much aircraft noise the times we've stayed.

Their prices are reasonable - they are part of the Hilton family of hotels.

The Westin at LAX is very nice if you just want an airport hotel - shuttle bus to the airport.

If you want to be in a nicer area, there are several luxurious hotels on the beach in Santa Monica but that means a 20 min or so cab ride to the airport. There's the Fairmont Miramar near the beach, Shutters on the Beach - very nice and the Loew's on the beach to name a few.

So your choice - right at the airport, cheaper but not much of a neighborhood or much nicer in a great area and more $

Can anyone recommend the best hotel for a stay in LA before the Panama Canal cruise?

A little more information would be helpful. Are you flying into Los Angeles the day before your cruise or are you planning on more than one day in LA? If you're planning on more than one day in LA, how many days? Is room price a consideration? Will you have a rental car?

Dave

Before our flight to Tahiti out of LAX, we stayed at the Century Plaza and really liked it. It is an older hotel (built in the 70's--old by LA standards) but has been very well maintained and our room was completely up to the moment decor-wise. Very convenient for sightseeing--Sunset Blvd. close by, Santa Monica Blvd. right outside, Westwood, beaches, just about everything. Also close to freeways if you want to venture a little farther out. I grew up in LA and know it pretty well and I thought the location was great for every place we wanted to get to--even went down to Farmer's Market for breakfast. A nice outdoor shopping mall next door for last minute items with some pretty good restaurants too.

But the best part was the large balcony--we could see forever! All rooms have them, whether looking west or east. We loved that and loved sitting out there with a glass of wine as the sun set. If you check carefully, you can get good rates, just do your homework.

The hilarious part was, my initials just happen to be CP. They had the C(entury) P(laza) logo on EVERYTHING--in the elevator, on the notepads, the coasters, you name it. I had my "significant other" COMPLETELY convinced that they personalized those just for me! And that everyone had a set with THEIR initials. It was too funny. Of course we kept all the "throwaways" because that will probably be the only time it ever happens. Still have CP notepads by my phone!

Have fun. As anxious as I was to get out of LA when I was in college eons ago, we had a great time and I now see why people like to vacation there. We will def. stay at the CP next time we go.

[quote=CathyCruises;14039615 we stayed at the Century Plaza and really liked it. It is an older hotel (built in the 70's--old by LA standards) but has been very well maintained and our room was completely up to the moment decor-wise. Very convenient for sightseeing

Century City is a great option. It was actually built in the 60's and was the backlot of 20th Century Fox Studios. (hence, Century City). The Century Plaza was formerly a Westin Hotel but I think it's now a Hyatt. There are several hotels right there, a great mall (upscale) for dining. Very central to Beverly Hills ( two miles away) and to Santa Monica (Actually you could take a bus right to the beach from there if you wanted to do that - it's a pretty safe area) - Not far from Hollywood either.

I also think Century City is a good choice for all the reasons others have posted. An alternative would be a hotel near UCLA. I don't know what your interests are but if you're interested in art, the Getty Museum is nearby. There is also a wonderful sculpture garden on the UCLA campus as well as the LA Museum of Art in the Wilshire district.

I assume you'll have a rental car. I suggest renting from Enterprise as they have an office just across the road from the cruise terminal in San Pedro. They have a shuttle that goes to and from the cruise terminal. We did a one-way Enterprise rental from San Diego to San Pedro for our Panama Canal cruise last January and it worked well.

Hope this helps.

Dave

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton when we were in L.A. in 2006. It is close to the airport and it is a lovely hotel, not too big and in a lovely position situated on Marina Del Rey. We loved our 3 night stay there and if we ever returned to L.A. that is where we would return.

Jennie

You might also try Shades Hotel in Manhattan Beach, and The Beach House in Hermosa Beach. Both towns are about 15 minutes from the airport, have quaint shops, restaurants, and beaches and you can take walks along the strand. If you want to rent a car for the day Enterprise will deliver one to your hotel if you want to go to a museum or Hollywood for the day. A taxi to the airport is about $20. Cherie

Archived