Golden 3/22 - 29 and Solitary Confinement

benchmarklearning

Just returned from an almost great cruise. We had two inside cabins since we took 14 yo DS. Embarkation was delayed a bit due to 90 day crew inspection but once things started it went smooth. Will write a detailed review later but overall the cruise was great and especially the entire staff was fantastic. Even though there were over 700 kids everything was under control. Our son loved his first cruise and is still recovering from the very late hours with the friends he met.

Now - the solitary confinement part. Wednesday I began to have a touch of "Montezuma's revenge." I was pretty sure it was not norovirus since I did not feel ill and was not vomitting. Thursday I pretty much stayed in my cabin and things got worse. Friday morning I went to Medical Department. I had barely finished writing the "D" word on the form when things started happening. I was immediately taken to the front of the line and asked a few questions and sent pronto to my cabin - my cruise just ended! Half hour later a medical tech came to check me out and gave me some pills. I was confined to cabin from that point on. The Super Cleaning crew showed up and did a number on the cabin. I was given a menu with the blandest food possible. It all worked - no more "D". But, I will never again get an inside cabin for this reason alone. I felt I was in solitary confinement and only saw the cleaning crew who brought my food and cleaned the room at least twice more. DW and DS had a great time.

I must commend them for taking such quick action even though I do not think I had Noro.

You poor thing! I am so sorry that you could not enjoy your cruise....I had this a couple of days as well....I think to much rich food and wine...did not feel ill otherwise..and brought my own meds. Hope you cruise again and have a great time...I could not do an inside....egads....lpt:o

Do you think that you got it from food at one of the ports? Where did you eat? As unadventurous as this may sound, that thought is always in the back of my mind when eating/drinking in other countries.

Sorry to hear you were sick, that is never any fun! :( Especially on VACATION!!! :eek:

They never said anything about DW being isolated. But just in case she moved her area of operations to DS room.

I don't think I got it in a port. Had it before I ate anything in PV. Honestly, I think it was a reaction to some medication that the Dr. prescribed just before I left home. Did not appear to be food poisoning since there were no other symptoms.

And the fact that I only spent the last 24 hours of the cruise in the confines of my inside cabin was not too big of a deal.

Sorry to hear about that? This is why I always carry immodium & avoid going to the med center at all costs.

DD had an ear infection our entire Disney cruise. Popped her full of tylenol. Fine by the end (Dr. recommends letting them run their course, usually, since my kids have each had only a couple each in their lives)

DS5 probably had noro last day of our cruise; coming out both ends. I stayed w/ him in PM/DH in AM while we were at C.Cay. (I packed) As soon as we got home next day, DD & I got it (thought it was my chix salad sandwich in O'Hare!), two days later DH & DS10 got it, then I had it AGAIN the next day--crazy! Glad it was the last day of our cruise...but it literally lasted only 24 hours!

I hope this doesn't stop people from seeking medical help if they need it. It's precautionary in case it's a virus and doesn't need to be noro to be possibly infectious. The medical staff have the drugs and ability to get you feeling better a lot sooner than self-medicating. The LAST thing you want is people self-medicating and being around other passengers.

On my Royal Princess cruise, I got violently ill (with "everything") and it took almost three days, even with the medical staff drugs, to get it under control. I was then confined to my cabin for another 24 hours but you know what? I didn't really want to leave. It took me another couple of days before I felt well / strong enough to eat more normally. For those couple of days, I'd scurry out, grab something quickly from the buffet and head back to my cabin. I missed almost half of my 12-day cruise but was thankful to the medical staff for their help.

What is "D" food?

LOL! I meant to say, "What is the D word?" and then I figured it out

the second time I came back to read this thread -- obviously I wasn't

fully awake this morning -- uh, yeah... that's it:D

Someone recently addressed that topic of the inside cabin and being

confined, and how it would have been nice to have fresh air at some point.

Last year while on the golden someone in our party was also confined

to her cabin. She had the "D" thing, but was pretty confident that

it was due to something she ate in Mexico. She never had any vomiting,

but she went to the sundries shop to ask for Immodium, and you guessed

it, they referred her to the medical department, and the medical dept.

quarantined her for 3 days even though she felt perfectly fine in every

other way.

Last year while on the golden someone in our party was also confined to her cabin. She had the "D" thing, but was pretty confident that it was due to something she ate in Mexico. She never had any vomiting, but she went to the sundries shop to ask for Immodium, and you guessed it, they referred her to the medical department, and the medical dept. quarantined her for 3 days even though she felt perfectly fine in every other way.
They have to report it -- if people are self-medicating and it's a virus, then others can catch it. The Medical Dept. will quarantine you only 24 hours after the last known symptom so I'm guessing that your friend had symptoms for two days. Sometimes, it makes a better story if they say they were confined for three days but that's stretching the truth a bit.

They have to report it -- if people are self-medicating and it's a virus, then others can catch it. The Medical Dept. will quarantine you only 24 hours after the last known symptom so I'm guessing that your friend had symptoms for two days. Sometimes, it makes a better story if they say they were confined for three days but that's stretching the truth a bit.

Truly, they did quarantine her for 3 days because we'd all been hanging around together, and then that was it -- she couldn't leave the cabin for 3 days and it wasn't noro either. Nevertheless, I respect the

medical dept's decision. I understand their need to be vigilant at the

incipient symptoms. Better to be safe than sorry.

we had friends who sailed on Norwegian a month ago and when she got sick they confined both people to the cabin. he was irritated because he wasn't sick and he didnt want to be around her when SHE was sick.

I restrict the goodies in life when at home.

On a cruise and those wonderful deserts come around ...Lobster and one cannot resist seconds.....

The prize is a bout of 'D'.:eek: .......My own fault.;)

But on the other hand those food goodies are so good the tempation is too great.....:D

When in the Baltics on the Star our friend came down with "D". He went to medical facility at 5 a.m. They would not let him out of cabin that day or the next day even though his "D" stopped by 10 a.m. the first morning. By the 3rd day they let him out, but asked his wife to get any food for him at the buffets, etc. She never caught it, so we think it was the rich food the night before. The ship was great and they were just being precautionary.

On the other hand, when we were in Egypt in January on a small river boat of 138 passengers about 3/4 the ship had something. I really don't think it was the food because we all got sick a different times. I was so sick they called a Dr. in from Luxor who gave me a shot and some medicine to stop the vomiting. After 3 days I was finally able to come out of my room. We never saw anyone cleaning the ship, quaranteening anyone or even seemed concerned that most of us were sick.

I really commend Princess is their fast reactions to stop the spread of illness.

That's why we will be on the Coral in 2 weeks!!!! Yeah!!!

On the other hand, when we were in Egypt in January on a small river boat of 138 passengers about 3/4 the ship had something. I really don't think it was the food because we all got sick a different times. I was so sick they called a Dr. in from Luxor who gave me a shot and some medicine to stop the vomiting. After 3 days I was finally able to come out of my room. We never saw anyone cleaning the ship, quaranteening anyone or even seemed concerned that most of us were sick.

quote]

As someone who'll be on a river cruise in Egypt in May, may I please ask which ship. We always carry preventative meds with us such as antibiotics, immodium, lomotil, etc.

Pia

I'm surprised they let your DW and DS out:eek:
They do not confine the person who is not sick - only the person that is.

DH had it on the Diamond Jan 2005 and they confined him for 3 days. He was so weak on the 4th day he hardly made it off the ship and onto the plane.

I did not get it and it was noro.

As someone who'll be on a river cruise in Egypt in May, may I please ask which ship. We always carry preventative meds with us such as antibiotics, immodium, lomotil, etc.
I'm guessing from her signature that it was "GCT River Cruise Egypt 1/2008"

I'm guessing from her signature that it was "GCT River Cruise Egypt 1/2008"

Guess I should have looked at the sig line, huh? Makes me feel wonderful, since that's exactly what we're doing. Of course my being a fussy/picky eater may help whatever situation I hope doesn't occur. How's that for double negatives? :D

Pia

Archived