Fuel supplement to be refunded

PaulMedik

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/tourism/orl-carnival0108apr01,0,5580080.story

Yesssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

....Under the agreement, Miami-based Carnival, the world's largest cruise operator, can continue to levy its fuel surcharge -- a $5 per day fee, up to $70 per passenger or $140 per cabin -- going forward. But the company must clearly disclose the fee to customers before they buy a trip and display the amount "directly above, beneath or next to the cruise-fare price.".......will refund $40 million to cruise passengers who were forced to pay extra fuel charges even after they had booked their trips, part of a deal the company will announce this evening to settle an investigation by Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum.

The refunds will cover an estimated 1.1 million bookings.

Thanks to you and some others who took the time to understand and post all the necessary info, justice was served. The refund will be nice, but it was never solely or even at all about the money, it was about an obvious wrong way of conducting business. I'm glad enough people did not just sit back and take it.

(3-10 Feb we went on our cruise on the Legend and had a great time.)

Great Job Snorkel - I remember you from the first day Carnival 'hood-winked' us with the surcharge. You were patient, professional and persistent. Thank you for your hard work!

Now I would like to go back to the nay-sayers who told us where to go and how to get off - and collect the refund they are now owed. I told a couple of them I wanted their money if we won this battle.

THANK YOU AGAIN!!

FB - Denver CO :D :D :D

Thanks to you and some others who took the time to understand and post all the necessary info, justice was served. The refund will be nice, but it was never solely or even at all about the money, it was about an obvious wrong way of conducting business. I'm glad enough people did not just sit back and take it.

(3-10 Feb we went on our cruise on the Legend and had a great time.)

Your welcome, and thanks for doing your share too.

The ironic thing is that the "eligible" nay sayers were probably the first ones on the phone wanting to know when they were going to see their refund. I think they should have to split their refund amoungst all of us that ACTUALLY went to the Florida Attorney General website and filed a complaint. Some people just like to sit back and let others do all the work or like to say that people who complain are whiners and have nothing better to do. I may be a whiner - but I have $150 to wipe my tears (of joy). :D

For me, it was about getting it right for everyone who got shafted. If I just wanted to maximize my own return I would've been the lead plaintiff in a class-action lawsuit. I was hoping this would get fixed before the inevitable lawsuits could get filed.

We booked on Nov 7th. And our original booking had the surcharge on it. All $70. But, it doesn't and didn't bother me.

That's because you booked after the fact (it was disclosed to you). We booked and paid with NO surcharge. Done deal. Then Carnival said you owe us more money.

What if Carnival sent you an e-mail saying that with all the money their "losing" on the fuel supplement refunds, they're going to have to charge you an extra $70 as a "refund surcharge" and sent you a new contract that said they have that right and you agree or no cruise for you. Bet you would be fighting mad!

My OBC shows on Page 8 of my cruise documents on the Carnival website. My OBC is from previously purchased Fun Ship Dollars.

My docs still show the fuel supplement charge of $50. My PVP told me that it would automatically be applied to my booking but I'm not sure when/if it will show up on my docs.

Just spoke with my TA. , Totally clueless.! He, at first, told me I would get an obc. Wrong. He failed to notice that I booked well before Nov.7. After bringing it to his attention,and his checking with his "supervisor", he said ,not to worry ,I'll have the surcharge removed before final pmt.is due ,but they are waiting for Carnival to fax them confirmation to remove it. At one point he said Carnival would credit it back to my card. I asked him why?,I haven't paid the final pmt yet. He added it , he can take it off ! He finally conceded that,but at first he was passing buck to Carnival. I said ,hey,you're the booking agency. Great prices ,NO service. I told him I'd be in touch :D

That's because you booked after the fact (it was disclosed to you). We booked and paid with NO surcharge. Done deal. Then Carnival said you owe us more money.

What if Carnival sent you an e-mail saying that with all the money their "losing" on the fuel supplement refunds, they're going to have to charge you an extra $70 as a "refund surcharge" and sent you a new contract that said they have that right and you agree or no cruise for you. Bet you would be fighting mad!

Um, I know why. I just think it's ironic that we managed to book on that particular date. I have absolutely no problem with it. That's all.

Would I be mad? No. I think I have a choice of whether to cruise or not and I choose to.

If the booking number didn't change and the rate stayed the same (other then adding the third person), then I say chances are good.

Which is probably the best answer you get here. Please check with Carnival and report back so everyone knows.

I'm responding about this from page 5 of 8, so I apologize if someone has answered this already. I may have even been the first to ask this. We (3 people/one cabin) booked in Oct '07 for a July '08 cruise. Two weeks ago we changed the cruise from July to June '08 and the booking number remained the same. My final payment date was not until sometime next week, but we decided to go ahead and settle up. Even though we just made final payment today, he told me before I paid that they would apply the fuel surcharge ($70 for us) as an OBC. He stated that if we did not spend that amount on the cruise, they would issue a refund to my credit card.

I'm sure if I had pushed the issue, he would have agreed to take it off the charge and I could have paid $70 less. But I know we are going to spend it regardless, so it makes no difference. If you know that you don't want to pay it now, I would suggest you just tell them. I'm glad they settled this already!

Ha. It has been my experience that with Carnival and money...it is never easy:)

Let me know if you receive the email or letter..

I never heard back from my PVP but just got an email from Carnival saying I have an on board credit waiting.. I printed off the email to take with me..

I have yet to receive any notification about a refund. Do you think I will get one? I emailed my PVP, who is usually on top of things, and she still hasn't replied. We paid in full before they even announced the surcharge, and then had to pay the 70.00. We have already taken the cruise too, so no OBC...

I posted this a couple days ago and havent seen anyone in a similar situation:

I didn't receive the email or letter regarding the implementation of the fuel surcharge in November. (and it wasnt sent to my junk mail either).

I have not received an email or letter about the refund to date either and I sail in 2 weeks.

Anyone else had this happen?

SO i emailed my TA to inquire on this..

This is his email:

Thanks for the note.

I don't actually know anything about the details of how Carnival is handling the refunds, but it sounds like they'll give it back to you as on board credit. OBC is really just as good as cash in my book, so I would suggest you just do nothing and pay a smaller bill when you leave the ship.

Can you believe!

I just wrote my PVP again, she responded quickly. (By the way, I looked up when I booked my upcoming cruise, and it was on Nov. 2nd, which makes it qualifying). So I asked her about the refund, she asked me when I booked I said before nov. 7th, she said great! I will get those issued immediately, so cool!

SO i emailed my TA to inquire on this..

This is his email:

Thanks for the note.

I don't actually know anything about the details of how Carnival is handling the refunds, but it sounds like they'll give it back to you as on board credit. OBC is really just as good as cash in my book, so I would suggest you just do nothing and pay a smaller bill when you leave the ship.

Can you believe!

So i emailed back.. no response yet.. and the best part of this.. I got this TA from CC! They advertise here!:(

Archived