PH or RS on millie- help me decide

goofymd

Comparing the PH vs. the RS, in my opinion:  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Comparing the PH vs. the RS, in my opinion:

• The PH is much better. Worth the extra money.
    • The PH is only slightly better, and not worth the extra money.

Doing an Alaskan cruise. Myself, DW, DS8,and DS5. can't decide if the royal suite is enough or if it is worth it for the PH.

I figure with it being so cold, us desert dwellers won't use the veranda much, which seems to be the best part of the PH.

Doing an Alaskan cruise. Myself, DW, DS8,and DS5. can't decide if the royal suite is enough or if it is worth it for the PH.

I figure with it being so cold, us desert dwellers won't use the veranda much, which seems to be the best part of the PH.

Perhaps you know, but consider the PH has a second bathroom with a stall shower.

The Alaska cruise is beautiful. Have a great time.

Bonnie

I think we can all agree that the PH is much better. As for whether it is "worth the extra money" for you, that depends on a lot of factors we are not equipped to answer. Obviously, it is a lot more likely to be "worth it" if you are a bazillionnaire who tosses thousands of dollars around like it is Monopoly money vs. if you are a struggling family living paycheck to paycheck... You see what I mean?

I do understand that everything is relative. I deal with the same issue in my wine world over is X wine for y amount of money worth it.

Obviously if money were no object, we'd get it. if we couldn't afford it, we would not. but if we are in between?

Let pretend it is you. in your situation would the extras be worth it.

I do understand that everything is relative. I deal with the same issue in my wine world over is X wine for y amount of money worth it.

Obviously if money were no object, we'd get it. if we couldn't afford it, we would not. but if we are in between?

Let pretend it is you. in your situation would the extras be worth it.

In my situation, I couldn't justify the RS. My decisions are more balcony vs. inside... Also, you didn't say what the difference in price is...

Philosophically, my feeling is get the best cabin you can afford without the expenditure causing anxiety that will hinder your enjoyment. If you can afford the PH and it won't cause you undue stress to spend that kind of money, I think you should go for it. I assume that you and your family will LOVE it. Especially with young children. The PH will give them so much more room to play, both in the cabin and on the balcony (well-supervised, of course). I've been in the RS on M-class before, and while it is a fabulous cabin, the furniture pretty well fills the space, and there is not an abundance of open floor space...

I think you should absolutely go with the PH. How often are you going to go to Alaska? Look, if you pay any attention to Al Gore, ice won't even exist in a year or two <G> so I think you should just go for it!!!

Putting aside the large difference in size and amenities in the PH over the RS and in specifically considering the use of that huge veranda, you'll have a much wider field of view with the PH balcony (pretty much 270°) and it will be more sheltered than the side facing RS balcony. Nice when the ship's underway and wonderful for the views you'll get in Alaska. No question. If you can afford the PH (I haven't been able to yet), go for it!

Phil

I went to alaska in both a royal and penthouse. First, you are still out on the deck alot even in alaska. viewing the glacier and ports etc. Also, the second bathroom is very usefull and (theres more room to run around in the PH) and the penthouse also has views of the side and the back of the ship. I would reccomend 6147 if you have a choice. i was in both of them in the past year. have fun in any room you choose!

This was great to see... we are debating between a penthouse with the family suite that over hangs it in the corner (we have a large group going) and the family suite with 2 close by concierge rooms... it's a lot of money, but I think with the size of our group we will use the balcony a lot, and it is a Caribbean cruise which means there will be a good amount of time on the deck during the day.

We had a PS once and for two people its really just too big. We enjoyed and did entertain but again, more room that we knew what to do with. RS is better for us (just right). Since we eat breakfast in the suite each morning having the table was very nice.

As mentioned the PS does have the second bath and also has a full size refrigerator. With two children with you both might come in handy. No arguments about how much of Dad's beer, Mom's wine and kids fruit drinks/sodas get allocated in a mini-fridge ;). There is also a microwave if you want to pop some popcorn.

The family overview's mentioned above are also nice in terms of balcony space. Someone on our last cruise had one and we had few get togethers there, I'm sure we had at least 15 folks out there without it feeling too crowded.

I think you should absolutely go with the PH. How often are you going to go to Alaska? Look, if you pay any attention to Al Gore, ice won't even exist in a year or two <G> so I think you should just go for it!!!

LOL!!!!

I went to alaska in both a royal and penthouse. First, you are still out on the deck alot even in alaska. viewing the glacier and ports etc. Also, the second bathroom is very usefull and (theres more room to run around in the PH) and the penthouse also has views of the side and the back of the ship. I would reccomend 6147 if you have a choice. i was in both of them in the past year. have fun in any room you choose!

I think you guys have convinced me. Why 6147 over 6148?

This is just my opinion, but in light of all the maintenance issues reported on Millennium recently, for the cost of a Penthouse on that ship, I would book a cruise on a more upscale cruise line instead.

Therefore, I would either book the Royal Suite to save money or book a cruise on a luxury cruise line.

Happy- yes, I do. I really wish it was a two bedroom suite, but those are few and far between. I have a feeling that future ships will have more for families that like the extra room. I would have less of an issue spending the money if it wasn't for the fact that we are still going to be banished to our room when the little ones go to sleep. (we are some of those weird people that maintain reasonable bed times even on vacation).

This is just my opinion, but in light of all the maintenance issues reported on Millennium recently, for the cost of a Penthouse on that ship, I would book a cruise on a more upscale cruise line instead.

Therefore, I would either book the Royal Suite to save money or book a cruise on a luxury cruise line.

Thank for the input. to go with a luxury line, and still have two rooms, will cost alot more than thew PH (I looked into it). I was very much leaning toward the RS, but when my wife looked at the pictures w decided it was adequate. I decided it was alot of money to put up with something, were as there was alot of excitement for the PH.

I have stayed in both PH and RS on Celebrity. I just was off the Millie last month. I do not know what a lot of people are talking about, regards to condition of ship and service. We had a great time.

All that being said, I would book the RS over the PH, because the difference in price would pay for your onboard charges. I have two daughters and we have done the RS, just fine.

Recently, we have book connecting cabins in CC class. While it is not the most space it has worked, pretty good for my family.

When my wife and I cruise, we try to book either a RS or SS.

If price was no option, PH would be it. But I would sure consider a RS and saving costs to pay for charges.

I think you guys have convinced me. Why 6147 over 6148?

The reason why I say this is because I was just in 6147 in august and 6148 in December 2006, both on the Millennium. I have stayed in 6148 many times and then went in 6147 and liked that side much better. First off, our neighbors had flooding in 6148 in august. (I have a feeling that they would have fixed that by now) also you don't have the blue window-washing thing on the deck. I also enjoy the flipped version of the layout. But that's just personal preference. (You’re also closer to the glass elevators. :D )

The penthouse (either of them) is amazing!!!

i have pictures of the two decks:

http://web.mac.com/cruisininfinity/iWeb/Site/Constellation%202007_files/slideshow.html?slideIndex=2

the blue thing

http://web.mac.com/cruisininfinity/iWeb/Site/Constellation%202007_files/slideshow.html?slideIndex=2

6148 (on constellation, same exact thing though)

The RS is only a side view, not nearly as good in Glacier Bay. The PH is the best. You will use it lots. From the hot tub on the veranda, you can see the side and the back of the ship. SPECTACULAR view. We always get 6146, next to the PH, but usually know the PH folks, so spend lots of time there! Go for it!!!

Haven't been on an Alaskan trip but I think they mostly go North through the glaciars, etc which are to the East. If so, you want the starboard (right) side. That would be 6148. You will have better viewing from there since the balcony wraps around to the starboard side. 6147 wraps around on the port side.

Again, depends on your itenerary. But you will have a great aft view from either.

The reason why I say this is because I was just in 6147 in august and 6148 in December 2006, both on the Millennium. I have stayed in 6148 many times and then went in 6147 and liked that side much better. First off, our neighbors had flooding in 6148 in august. (I have a feeling that they would have fixed that by now) also you don't have the blue window-washing thing on the deck. I also enjoy the flipped version of the layout. But that's just personal preference. (You’re also closer to the glass elevators. :D )

The penthouse (either of them) is amazing!!!

i have pictures of the two decks:

the blue thing

6148 (on constellation, same exact thing though)

Cruisininfinity,

I am very interested in your pictures, and what the "blue thing" is, but they all seem to be the same picture.

and secondly, did either of the work out equipment work- we would love to do stuff on deck vs, going to the work out room, but I've heard bad thing about this.

Archived