Adventure or Seranade for family with kids and young teen?

Looking at booking a cruise for next year. Just went on NCL Jewel and loved it but have heard great things about RCI and want to try it. Looking at the itineraries, prices etc it looks like a choice between eitehr Adventure of the Seas or Serenade of the Seas. I like the itinerary better on the Serenade but the price for Adventure is a bit better. Any opinions on comparing these two ships? We are in our 40s and our children will be 14, 12 and 8 at the time of the cruise. The 14 year old is especially athletic and wants to do everything. She is also a figure skater so I thought she would like to see the skating on RCI. Thanks all for your help.

P.S. We have cruised on Celebrity in the past - just DH and me and loved it. NCL was the first family cruise and now the kids are dying to cruise again!

We've done both ships and the kids (7 & 12 boys) loved both. We liked Serenade a little better and the initinerary better. However, if they are looking to ice skate or roller blade, mini golf - your best bet would be Adventure. Plus the kids like the promenade on Adventure too. They are both great ships and you can't go wrong with either one.

We have done both the Voyager class (like AOS) and the Serenade southern itinerary. Our kids were 16 and 12 at the time. The enjoyed both ships, but they would say that Serenade is their favorite. The itinerary is the greatest.

If you have been on a Celebrity m-class ship (Millie, Summit, Connie, Infinity), you will find the radiance class ships to be comparable, with the addition of the mini golf course and rock wall.

We also felt that on the very port-intensive southern itineraries, the type of ship may be a little less important as it seemed like we spent less time on board than on a western or eastern itinerary.

I'm not surprised in the price difference - Serenade seems to always be in strong demand.

Good luck with the decision!

Your DD will love the Adventure. It has everything including the ice rink, and she can skate at sea.:D

You have been on a lot of cruises I see so it is great to have an expert answer! Is there another ship you would recommend? Skating would be a bonus! Thanks!!!!

Thanks all for the input!

You have been on a lot of cruises I see so it is great to have an expert answer! Is there another ship you would recommend? Skating would be a bonus! Thanks!!!!

Thanks all for the input!

I think you first need to decide what itinerary you want. If it doesn't matter, and you're choosing based on ship, kids and teens seem to be drawn to the Voyager (Voyager, Mariner, Explorer, Navigator, Adventure) Class or Freedom (Freedom, Independence, Liberty) class ships.

IMO, if ice skating is a priority, do an Eastern or Western Caribbean itinerary on one of the Voyager or Freedom class ships where you'll have more sea days and the chance for more ice skating. Keep in mind that the hours available for skating can be limited. When we were on Mariner, they were rehearsing a new ice show, so there was only one open skating session for like a total of 2 hours the entire cruise.

If you are choosing based on itinerary, than you can't beat the southern Caribbean.

We booked! I decided on AOS because of the skating rink. I know it is small but DD is a skater and it will be exciting for her to skate at sea! We've never been to Aruba, Curacao or St. Marteen so that will be exciting too. Thanks all for your opinions. I still like the itinerary better on Serenade (DH and I did a similar one with Galaxy and our whole family a similar one on NCL Jewel) but I think because those are some of our favourite islands. This will be a fun trip. Can't wait. About 11 months to go - we are sailing on March 8! Now I get to spend some time on the RCL boards learning about the ship. First question - do they have self-service laundry machines? :)

We booked! I decided on AOS because of the skating rink. I know it is small but DD is a skater and it will be exciting for her to skate at sea! We've never been to Aruba, Curacao or St. Marteen so that will be exciting too. Thanks all for your opinions. I still like the itinerary better on Serenade (DH and I did a similar one with Galaxy and our whole family a similar one on NCL Jewel) but I think because those are some of our favourite islands. This will be a fun trip. Can't wait. About 11 months to go - we are sailing on March 8! Now I get to spend some time on the RCL boards learning about the ship. First question - do they have self-service laundry machines? :)

No self serve laundry. Since your DD is a skater it will be to her benefit to bring her own skates as they have at least 2 sessions only for those individuals who bring their own skates. It will be less crowed than during the other times so she can work on routines or whatever.

I've been on both and my DS (18 now but cruising since he was 9) would say his preference would be a voyager class ship. DW preference is also Voyager class. I like both so I always base my slection on itinerary first. Enjoy

We booked! I decided on AOS because of the skating rink. ... About 11 months to go - we are sailing on March 8! Now I get to spend some time on the RCL boards learning about the ship. ... :)

Congratulations. Voyager ships are pretty cool. My kids liked Navigator alot. I have booked the Jewel for a cruise this Christmas and I wonder if they'll be bored after Navigator.

Archived