Beware the Fine Print: "Up to $150 Onboard Credit on select NCL Sailing"

tammlynn

I recently booked an NCL cruise on the Majesty to Bermuda with an online agency that advertised "Up to $150 Onboard Credit on select Norwegian Cruise Line Sailings". I read the fine print carefully but missed this one little statement in the fine print "Onboard Credit amount is per stateroom, based on priced category booked" . For those budget cruisers like myself that does not include the lowest category "N" inside guaranteed cabin.

I still got a decent deal on the cruise, but I do feel misled.

When you read any ad, for any company, and the words "up to" appear, you better read the fine print.

But dont let it bother you....you will still have a great cruise and pay less than 90% of the other passengers.

any time it includes the words "up to" there will be limits.

sometimes it's $50 oceanview, $100 for balconies and $150 for mini-suites..

the ones i check, it's never for my ship/cruise. certain cruises, certain times, certain levels of cabins. it's never a blanket offer.

the words "up to" in advertising roughly translates to "if you pay for the most expensive one, and were born on the 5th Thursday in February, then you MIGHT get a discount".

Applies to cruiselines and lots of other things. Lots of other things. As long as people bite, they will keep doing it.

As someone else mentioned, when I see the "up to"clause I pretty much figure I am not gonna get anything.

I recently booked an NCL cruise on the Majesty to Bermuda with an online agency that advertised "Up to $150 Onboard Credit on select Norwegian Cruise Line Sailings". I read the fine print carefully but missed this one little statement in the fine print "Onboard Credit amount is per stateroom, based on priced category booked" . For those budget cruisers like myself that does not include the lowest category "N" inside guaranteed cabin.

I still got a decent deal on the cruise, but I do feel misled.

Same thing happened to me on a Majesty to Bermuda cruise. Inside was $499 and ocean view $549 so we went with the ocean view since there was to be a $50 onboard credit with o.v. which in effect made the price $525 for ocean view (no credit for insides). NOPE. Cat E was not high enough. No credit given. What ticked me off was that a higher category in order to get the on board credit was not stated. So we're stuck with a 108 sq ft cabin and no credit. But hey, it's on the promenade deck and I'll be able to lounge there.

the words "up to" in advertising roughly translates to "if you pay for the most expensive one, and were born on the 5th Thursday in February, then you MIGHT get a discount".

Applies to cruiselines and lots of other things. Lots of other things. As long as people bite, they will keep doing it.

As someone else mentioned, when I see the "up to"clause I pretty much figure I am not gonna get anything.

I feel better now....lesson learned!

I love the newest with 0% APR on new cars but read the white type when TIVO stops it to read it all & you are paying $16-24 FOR EACH $1000 YOU OWE. That is far from 0% APR.

Cruises, airlines, trains they all have the fine print specials that I take a leaflet or brochure to read thru it before I talk to anyone with their promises. Even nespaper travel ads can be very entertaining to read.

Always read the fine print on EVERYTHING! Especially advertising.:D

But you'll have a wonderful time. The Majesty to Bermuda is one of my favorite sailings.:)

I love the newest with 0% APR on new cars but read the white type when TIVO stops it to read it all & you are paying $16-24 FOR EACH $1000 YOU OWE. That is far from 0% APR...

Those numbers appear to be correct.

$1,000 for 5 years at 0% interest comes to $16.67 per month.

$1,000 for 4 years at 0% interest comes to $20.83 per month.

In my book, 0% APR is $0 PERIOD! FREE is $0

So deals seem to be CAS only........

Now to be proud of me, Sears sends an email on VIP night for Sears cardholders. A picture of a gal in shirt, shorts & sandals with 50% off all WOMAN'S dresses, sportswear & intimate. So I copied it & took it with me. In the store has 20% off dresses, so I got 4 to try on, liked 2 & to cashier we go & she rings it up a good $40 more than my calculator. So I hand the ad I received for 50% off. She calls her Manager who comes to tell me prices ae as advertised in the department & I show him the email from Sears at 50% off. I get my cell & tell him I will phone the Attorney General on false advertising and my $20 dresses appeared!!!!!

Of course APR stands for annual percentage rate, and refers to the interest payments only.

While I can certainly appreciate that some people are not good in mathematics and/or hate the subject, what is more difficult for me to appreciate is why there is not a certain level of common sense. Does anyone really think that an add with 0% APR, whatever APR might mean, would mean the car is free -- no repayment of principal?

Of course the posting had a time 10 minutes after the end of April Fools Day. Perhaps we are taking it too seriously.

Bill

Of course APR stands for annual percentage rate, and refers to the interest payments only.

Of course the posting had a time 10 minutes after the end of April Fools Day. Perhaps we are taking it too seriously.

Bill

No Bill, not taking it too seriously...the individual that is posting this about 0% financing is obviously not very good at math.

In my book, 0% APR is $0 PERIOD! FREE is $0

Now to be proud of me, Sears sends an email on VIP night for Sears cardholders. A picture of a gal in shirt, shorts & sandals with 50% off all WOMAN'S dresses, sportswear & intimate. So I copied it & took it with me. In the store has 20% off dresses, so I got 4 to try on, liked 2 & to cashier we go & she rings it up a good $40 more than my calculator. So I hand the ad I received for 50% off. She calls her Manager who comes to tell me prices ae as advertised in the department & I show him the email from Sears at 50% off. I get my cell & tell him I will phone the Attorney General on false advertising and my $20 dresses appeared!!!!!

Doesn't know math, but knows how to intimidate a store manager over $20.00 - because the coupon and e-mail said so...WOW to live this life!!!!

You're being too subtle. Some people need it spelled out.:cool:

you still make monthly payments with nothing additional, but ads read $16-$24 a month which I took as interest. But it is the car payments $333.40 for 5 years = $20K car. But we never make payments, we pay in full for for the best in what we want. Luckily we pay cash for cars so we get upgraded to Ultimate package with heated seats, sunroof, 8 CD changer, heated mirrors & windshields, etc.

While I can certainly appreciate that some people are not good in mathematics and/or hate the subject, what is more difficult for me to appreciate is why there is not a certain level of common sense. Does anyone really think that an add with 0% APR, whatever APR might mean, would mean the car is free -- no repayment of principal?

Bill

but a $20K car will run you $333.40 a month on 0% APR, which is not 0 interest!

Archived