Tell me your pre-cruise rituals???

want2seaitall

Have the hair trimmed, color tuned up, manicure and legs/bikini wax (underarms have been lasered as have a few stray hairs here and there). Check the tread on the tires, clean axles, remember that castors need replaced before next cruise, wash seat cushion and make sure the spare is packed...wheelchair. Get the jewelry needed out of the bank, plan any extra currency needed, arrange for the pup to spend time at the country club farm with nature walks and doggie tennis ball rugby, remind DH to book pre-cruise hotel! Cruise day should start out relaxed. And plan two accessible places at every stop in case something happens with first choice. Practice deep breathing to relax when I get to the elevator first then a ton of people show up and I'm left waiting for the 2nd or 3rd.

Grab whichever umbrella drink sounds best when we hit sail away after dropping the carry on stuff in the cabin and putting stuff in the safe.

I start shopping about 6 weeks before for new dresses, sunglasses, small toiletries and stuff. I buy books with tips about cruising and novels about cruising too. Now I have Cruise Critic to read too!

I always do the mani/ped the day before the cruise. Haircut and color about 1 week before cruise. Purchase travel books for the ports we will be visiting. Start packing about 4 weeks before. Since I book my cruises about 1 year advance, I have a lot of time to shop and think about it. Read CC constantly.

I set up a box in the dining room and when i think of things i need to pack I throw them in there.

I do the same. :)

I type out my flight, hotel and cruise itinerary and then reduce it, cut and paste and print onto stiff card, fold it, laminate and attach to my luggage with a cable tie. That way if my luggage goes astray at the airport, it should find its way to me

Also, for some reason I vacuum the carpets downstairs before bringing the suitcases down.

Carol

The Week Before We Leave

Pack for the family

The Day Before We Leave

Clean House So We Return To A Clean House

Change Sheets On Beds (crisp sheets are great to come home to)

Drop Dogs Off At Doggy Camp

The Day We Leave

Get Manicure & Pedicure

• 2 weeks later...

My wife's packing rituals are not to be missed. 3 days before we depart, she sets up packing stations all throughout the house. It's a show not to be missed.

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Future: Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Constellation Europe 07/06

Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

• 3 weeks later...

I have a room that I use as our cruise staging area, everything that we need for the cruise ends up there starting about a month prior. Its easier to keep track of everything and a great spot to pack, and since everything is in one place it makes it less likely that I'll forget something important..Linda

Month in Advance

Take all suitcases (Trunk Steamers) to downstairs bedroom. Start taking the little items and drop them on the bed or dresser. Shop for any additional clothes needed. Start reading the boards for where we are going (Alaska), noted colder weather earlier this year, more warm clothes.

Week before.

80% of suitcases are loaded and cross loaded, half mine in each along with half of hers. Start packing carryon. Load in the wiremesh safe. This is used if the room safe has a keypad instead of credit card swipe. Keypad can be picked, card swipe can't. Wire mesh safe goes around sink drain pipe. Charge camera batteries, verify memory cards, charge back-up hard drive to load cards into. Any last minute items to the cleaners. Move the Cruise Folder Jacket to the bedroom and start check off list. Verify boarding passes, insurance info. The outside of the folder has printed info on everything we are doing daily including excursions.

Day before.

Move daily medicine to carryon leaving one day's set in zip lock in kitchen. Complete packing of checked luggage. Print airline boarding passes. Verify I have enough cash for my stuff, she does her own thing.

Morning of flight to Seattle 1 day before the cruise. Pack last items into carryon bag and re-check the camera bag. Wait for the Limo 3 hours before the flight. Arrive at airport with 2.5 hours to spare. Check in and head to the Crown Room on our departure concourse.

Good Luck on your cruise. Good pre-planning and check lists can make for a mistake proof cruise.

Our cruise ritual is like everyone elses,, shopping for things we think we will need, but probably wont need, get the right outfits for formal night, make the mani/pedi appointments(this time it will be 3 generations going)

print out list of things to pack, shop some more, pack up the duffle bags, (bcause they take up least amount of room in the cabin)

Get in the car & drive to the terminal....

Then onto 9 nights of relaxing!

Cruising on the Explorer: 8/14/08!

Cant wait!

Megan:o :cool:

• 3 months later...
I start shopping about 6 weeks before for new dresses, sunglasses, small toiletries and stuff. I buy books with tips about cruising and novels about cruising too. Now I have Cruise Critic to read too!

Hi... can you suggest any book about cruising? Novel, tales...?

Months in advance I love doing my research on all the ports of call by reading, reading, reading. Some info I take from travel books and the rest I learn from this site and the internet. I then write down the places that jump out at me where I would like to visit/investigate/explore.

I actually just finished preparing a soft sided binder where I put in all my email confirmations; my online boarding confirmations; ports of call information; the night before hotel/parking confirmations; tuxedo rental confirmation; etc. etc. I have each set into colour coded dividers so I can easily and quickly find what I need when I need it. I find this really helps me keep things organized as well as keep it straight in my head what has been already confirmed.

I also ALWAYS make out a list and I have it ongoing on my dresser. As I think of items to take, I add it to my list. I also have the list in my computer so I can print it off and revise as I plan a trip. This really helps you remember everything (unless you forget to write it on the list):)

I ALWAYS read this Cruite Critic message board faithfully. As I find info I need, I save and paste and print (and put in my binder). VERY helpful.

I have started back at my fitness club to try and tone up and lose a few pounds. I usually try to do this a couple of months before a cruise.

Just some of my pre-cruise rituals.

After the cruise is booked (at least 3 months prior), scour the stores for cruise wear: formail night dresses, shoes, casual day on board/or in port days etc. keep an eye for swim wear, as in, better purchases from the summer before cruise (keep in mind, I'm from MN). Register on my cruise roll call on CC. A nice way to check in and see who you may run into on the cruise. If nothing else, get anxious for the same cruise! Also check out posts about the ports, the cruise line, food, etc. I would like to hear what everyone else does, prior to sailing! not to worry, I am very into check lists before packing for a cruise! Best to you all!

Since it always seems everyone boards and heads to the lunch buffet, we always go to lunch at a nice resturant before boarding. We have a wonderful leisurly meal then head to the ship.

Luckily for us, we are a hop, skip and a jump to the port (live in Ft Lauderdale and work VERY close to the port so parking is free).

Well, I've never been on a cruise yet, but I'm already preparing my things. I bought a new suitcase, my suit, new shirts, a new camera, and also a new par of flip flops! There are two months to go... I'm looking for suggestions of books about sea, ship, cruises (mysteries, novels, etc). Does anyone have any suggestion?

Whew!! I thought I had issues until I read this string!

I prepare three lists: What we need in the car (driving from Canada), what we need for the ship and what we need for the carry-on.

I do the pre-tanning, nails, hair etc.

I print maps and details of the areas we are going to and how to get there.

I have my luggage open in the corner for a few weeks prior to collect items as I think of them. I stalk the kids to do the same, because, what's the point in having issues if you can't share them right? lol.

I search every site thinkable for places to go (while in Florida), discounts, shore excursions, ship reviews etc. - I could almost walk around blindfolded before embarking, I've spend that much time checking out the ship.

Oh sure, my kids joke to me that I'm a "cruise junkie" but they check in now and again to see what I've come up with and they ask to see some of the web pages I have found.

My co-worker said to me once "So, it's almost a month until the cruise, did you print your itinerary in triplicate, laminate it and distribute it to the kids yet?"

Thank you people.... I'm not alone!

My pre-cruise ritual is not too different from the others. I schedule a "diamond" pedicure for the day before. A "diamond" pedicure is just adding the crystals to the tips of my big toes (looks fabulous in the Caribbean sun-and gets lots of positive comments from strangers). I do my own fingernails so I can take the polish color with me for touch ups mid week on vacation. I get the hair foiled the week before, tan the month before, and we go to Walmart to buy the underwater camera and blow up cheapo (less than $2) pool floats to use on the beaches. It saves us the money of renting and we throw them away on the ship when we are finished with them. We usually go out to dinner or for drinks the night before to get into vacation mode. I also visit my neighbor to give her a card and $$ to thank her for taking care of our pets while we are gone. Lastly, I pick up/vacuum the house and the morning we are flying out I take all the garbage out and empty the dishwasher so we don't come home to anything nasty. I write about ten lists to stay on top of things and daydream about the cruise constantly!

• 4 weeks later...
We have a five hour drive. We always stop for a Big Mac, and listen to Abba, and The Beatles. Then we know we are going for a cruise!!!:)

john

John we always listen to the Beatles (Greatest hits DVD) also on our drive down to FL. Another thing we almost do is eat lunch at Bob Evans. There aren't any in GA so that is a treat for us-LOL!

• 4 weeks later...

Our favorite pre-cruise ritual is to book a hotel facing the dock the night before. If it has a balcony, that's even better. There's nothing sweeter than sitting on your balcony with room service breakfast watching the ship sail in and knowing you'll be embarking within hours. We've done this since the early '70's. On our Alaskan cruise we watched the Diamond leave from Vancouver which wasn't nearly as much fun as seeing it come in!

Archived