Fort Lauderdale Airport - cruise out of Miami?

brytyje3

Help! We are working on airline tickets and we think it is actually more economical and a much shorter flight (non stop) if we fly into Fort Lauderdale and shuttle to Miami.

Does anyone else have experience with this? We are coming in the day before but the flight out is the same day we come into port (on the Freedom) at 1:50 out of Fort Lauderdale. Would we be able to make it to the airport on time?

I have done this several times because flying into Ft. Lauderdale can be significantly cheaper than flying into Miami. When we have had 2-4 people in a group then we usually take a taxi from FL to Miami and it's about 80 dollars total (with the tip) so it's only 20 dollars a person (which is much cheaper than paying an extra 100-150 dollars to fly into Miami). If we have had a larger group then we usually rent a van from one of the copies that goes between the airports and then it's usually 10-20 dollars a person if you have a group of 8-10 people. Either - I recommend you save the money - especially since you are flying in a day early, I highly recommend this way of doing things :) Happy CRUISING!

Thanks for the quick response! That's what I wanted to hear - I was feeling a little insane and thought I must be missing something. Do you think the 1:50 flight out is too agressive or will we have plenty of time?

What about going back to FLL airport. Looking at flights and there is one at 11:20 is that too risky?

A flight out of FLL at 1:50pm is totally doable but I think a flight time of 11:20 out of FLL is too risky. I would be a nervous wreck and that's not how I would want to end my vacation.:)

Thanks for posting -- this is what we just booked. Our cruise is from Miami, but the flight to Ft. Lauderdale is WAY cheaper. We're coming in the night before and leaving the day after, just the two of us.

Is a general taxi the best bet, or does anyone know of a limo service?

Thanks!!

I'm looking for information on this topic as well, but for a group of about 28 - 30 people. Six of us have already booked air into Miami, but because my DH travels, we are flying on points - :) . The remainder of our group does not have this luxury and the reduced cost of flying into Ft. Lauderdale is attractive. I need to make sure the round trip transportation cost of flying into Ft. Lauderdale does not exceed the cost of flying directly into Miami. As the group travel coordinator, I need to find the most economical way to transfer from Ft. Lauderdale airport to Miami. We are all flying in the afternoon before our cruise and staying at the Embassy Suites Miami Airport. The late afternoon and early evening arrivals meant we couldn't spend time at the beach or even enjoy the evening out, so an airport hotel made more sense - free transportation and all. Then, we will all be going to the cruise port the next morning to board our ship. Any recommendations for shuttles, limos, rental companies would be appreciated for all aspects of our trip - FLL to MIA transportation, Airport hotel to cruise terminal and then cruise terminal to MIA and FLL at the end of our trip. Thanks! And, by the way, most of our group is traveling with children between the ages of 5 and 10, so lots of transfers with kids and luggage is not an option.

We may have to do just the opposite and fly into Miami for a Ft Lauderdale cruise. Will the transportation between Miami airport and a hotel near Ft Lauderdale cruise pier be too expensive? Do any Ft.L hotels run shuttles from Miami airport?

Is a general taxi the best bet, or does anyone know of a limo service?

We flew in and out of FLL - thousands of cruise passengers do this as it's way more reasonable.

As for limos and taxis, these boards are filled with threads on this - you can use the "Search this forum" option and it will pull up literally hundreds of threads about this; I know, I've posted in many of them already.

Archived