Aust/NZ - opinions on NZ ports/tours

stuffyah

We will be doing the Aust/NZ on Oceania in Jan 2009. We would like to arrange some private tours for the various stops. Any experienced opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

ps. How is the Tasman Sea crossing ?

Hi Stuffyah - stuff you too :p . No, love the name.

I am Tasmanian born, am from melbourne, have been to the north island of NZ and am a fairly frequent cruiser. Anything specific you want to know just ask.

Sorry to tell you this but suspect you already know being as you have asked specifically - the Tasman crossing can be very rough indeed. I say this with some knowledge as my uncle was one of the last cray fishermen about whom they made a film, and I have crossed it many times. You see, they get the prevailing winds straight from across South Africa - called the 'roaring forties'. On the other hand, like most parts of the ocean, it can be as calm as. It's a gamble, although less likely to be rough in the warmer months.

If you are also cruising between Tasmania and the mainland, Bass Strait can also be a very rough trip. The Sun Princess has just been down in these waters, and the Captain wasn't sure if they would make Hobart yesterday as it was so terribly rough.

Jennie

Archived