Sneaking Beer on Board

redhawk94

one other thing to put on the must bring/smuggle on board list that they are charging for is Green Tea Bags. If you want Green Tea the only place they had them was at the Coffee Bar(Carnival) for $4.00. each..... I wonder if we'll get those confiscated if there spotted in our bags? or do you think I should just pay $4 buck each for them too????

You don't have to smuggle on tea bags - you can bring as many as you like and you can even get hot water for free!!

Bringing on beer however, is against the rules. How hard is that to understand!:eek:

Many airlines now only allow one checked suitcase. If you plan to send through a bag with beer or an empty one to fill later, you will have to pay the airline in order to do that.

Save up a little more before your cruise and be a real sport..... buy your beer on the ship and follow the rules. Doesn't quite sit exactly right to pick and choose which rules you like and will follow and which you ignore. Who gets to decide how many you (or I) can ignore?

Save for a week or two longer and be a gentleman (or lady). JMHO .

I'm driving to the port so no problem there. And I will never be a gentleman.

When we were on the Tahitian Princess we bought two six packs and just put them on the conveyor belt for security. They didn't care. Truthfully, I hadn't really thought about it when we bought them. We were at the store, we were hot, they were cold so we just bought them and brought them back. No hassles at all.

Save up a little more before your cruise and be a real sport..... buy your beer on the ship and follow the rules. Doesn't quite sit exactly right to pick and choose which rules you like and will follow and which you ignore. Who gets to decide how many you (or I) can ignore?

Yeah, who do you think you are, OJ??:eek:

Some people really need to lighten up!

Good Luck with your smuggling, I hope it goes well RedHawk

If you do figure out how to get that Keg on board, please let me know!:D

we have been on 6 carnival cruises and always take a bit of rum and some beer. i put a 6-pack in a walmart type bag and tie a knot, then set it in an soft-sided cooler. i take a wheeled duffel with my snorkel/mask, beach towel shoes..sometimes i take 2. i never tried the soda box thing, am going on mariner soon, i will do this. then i can carry soda on to go with rum i put in ziplock bag and add to my cosmetic case. i have tended bar for 23 yrs and i think $20 for 5 beers is high. we even take beer to all-inclusives so we can have one in our room. we dont partake very often but on vacation we like to have a few cocktails in our room. we will spend plenty onboard, they make a killing, espically if they miss a port due to inclimate weather. i think they have had alot of problems with drunks jumping off and being foolish, they try to make it like grade school, but then again alot of drunks need to be treated as such. so they kinda watch espically during spring break with all the kiddos. i am picturing u taking 2 cases! hahaha we buy beer at the ports and put it in my backpack, the guys that x-ray dont care usually, they expect u to drop off any booze at the little table to be given back on the last nite..i have never done that, they just want u to spend your booty on their overpriced drinks. money maker big time...have a great cruise!:)

We don't bring bear aboard (don't drink it) but we do bring 12 packs of Diet Coke for drinking in our cabin, the number depending on the length of the cruise. I have a collapsable semi-hard sided bag that holds exactly 2 fridge packs. I pack it in the front pocket of one suitcase then fill it on the way to the pier, put a luggage tag on it and give it to a porter along with the rest of our luggage. I don't think there's any line that won't let you bring soft drinks aboard, though.

I honestly don't recommend that anyone try to take anything on board an NCL ship via carry on. They are TOUGH and do take the time to check out everything. I actually saw them shaking water bottles and even opening them up to sniff them. The only way of getting anything onboard is to pack it in your suitcases. The only exception to that rule would be if you use rum runners for liquor. They can be carried on your body and won't set off the metal detectors and they don't do a pat down. Beer in carry on on NCL will not get through unless it's just a stroke of luck, so if you want to keep your stuff, don't even try it.

Save for a week or two longer and be a gentleman (or lady). JMHO .
It's not a matter of not HAVING the money, it's a matter of being UNWILLING TO PAY outrageous prices. A beer at my local grocery store costs less than $1. Onboard it's $4.50.

I understand that logistics of the cruise ship transporting, serving, etc., and I don't question that they should be able to make a profit; however, if my grocery store can make a profit selling beer for less than $1/can, what kind of outrageous profit is the cruise ship making?

Maybe some of the people who feel the need to sneak stuff on board are 1 of 2 things:

1) Not of legal drinking age (of which I am and have been for 25+ years)

2) Or just CHEAP! (of which I fall into that category, but am not brave enough to try any longer to sneak stuff aboard) Good luck!

I can do Miller Lite. With the plastic caps they should go right through in my check in bags, right.

Regardles of the caps, they will still see them when scanned. I would just go the second bag thing with your beer and hope. I have found that sometimes they are picky sometimes as it depends on time of year (i.e. spring break).

I would go the the Carnival area here and ask a few questions of someone that has been on recently.

As to some of the other posters, I respectfully suggest that we answer his questions and not flame him for it.

I'm OK with taking a few things on, I just have problems with people bringing a lot on as my bar bill is plenty high.

We just buy like like a 12 pack of sprite zero or something they typically wont have onboard. Carefully open one end and take the sprite out.. refill with your choice of beer and then superglue back together. Works every time :D

no problem. take a soft sided cooler and fill it, pack tight. i took plastic 16oz bottles but also had cans in there as well. the cooler arived in my room and i then have it filled with ice and the room guy took care of it all week. take more then you think of money and booze and 1/2 the clothes and shoes :)

I am often surprised how each line handles this. Some are picky and some really don't care short of backing up a beer truck...

Last week on Princess, we took on (between two couples) three bottles in checked luggage, case of beer in checked bag and carried on two bottles of wine. No issues, no big deal. Just to let everybody know before they flame me, our bar bill to the line was still signficant as we still bought wine in the restaurant, and all drinks around the pool.

It was nice to see a line use a little common sense.....

I am often surprised how each line handles this. Some are picky and some really don't care short of backing up a beer truck...

Last week on Princess, we took on (between two couples) three bottles in checked luggage, case of beer in checked bag and carried on two bottles of wine. No issues, no big deal. Just to let everybody know before they flame me, our bar bill to the line was still signficant as we still bought wine in the restaurant, and all drinks around the pool.

It was nice to see a line use a little common sense.....

No big deal from me. I took a case of Bud Light plastic bottles with no problems. Bought more than that from them. It's just subsidizing..... is the way I see it.:D

• 3 weeks later...

plastic bottles all the way, just roll them up in your clothing and you will have no problem at all as i have done this on each of my first 3 cruises on carnival. it probably wont get you past 2-3 days but it will keep your bar bill down a bit.

The plastic bottle idea sounds good, anyone know where to get beer in plastic bottles? I have only seen them at concerts and stuff
most ber companies carry them now in local stores at least around here in buffalo. ny area. if not go in search of a beer salesman at a local convienience store and see if he will order some for you for that particular store.

• 2 months later...
I guarantee that my method works everytime, on every cruiseline. Just pop 'em and pound 'em, before you board. Carry it on internally. Makes for a very exciting sail-away, but the next morning is a little tough. :D

Your method is hillarious. Thanks for the humor on what can be a very contentious subject.

I hope no ones liquor or beer leaks on everyone's luggage and if it does I hope all passengers are informed of the cabin number to thank for the laundry bill. If you are bring it on board, make sure you put it in baggies with a diaper so I don't smell like beer or liquor on the formal night.

Hey Redhawk94,

Don't know when you're going to cruise but have you given any thought to downsizing your cabin and with the savings, purchase beer on board? Just a thought.

Enjoy your cruise.

Barry

Uh, no. Never have felt the need to smuggle on mass quantities of beer, or any beer at all.

I'm sure someone has.

I'm in the crowd that doesn't think it okay to ignore the rules you don't like and do as you wish. The rules apply to all of us and you clearly know you are forbidden to bring beer aboard. There is plenty of beer available on the ships, in all the bars. YOu'll have no difficulty getting all you want from bars, lounges and even room service.

Your crushed cans in your suitcase could leak all over my suitcase and wreck my things. :( It isn't okay!

Isn't it amazing how the first few people to respond to a thread about sneaking alcohol always discourage it?? And even more amazing, sail7seas is ALWAYS posting about just purchasing onboard, not sneaking on, etc.....you'll find him/her on EVERY liquor thread available. :confused:

I just don't understand why the SAME people EVERY time vehemently try to discourage people from taking liquor beer on board. What are you, the cruise police? You're not going to discourage anybody from trying to take liquor onboard. It's pointless to keep trying.

Insinuating that those who take on a bottle or two of alcohol or a case of beer can't afford to buy their own onboard is rediculous. The only reason we can't take anything on board is because the cruise has a monopoly on alcohol and are charging between $5 and $15 for every drink. Yet they allow people to bring on water and soda. It just doesn't make sense. IMHO they should allow passengers up to two bottles or two cases and then it wouldn't be a problem.

I just get tired of reading the same old crap by the same people about not bringing liquor on board. If it bothers you so much why don't you pass by the topic and reply to something else!