AYW v. Traditional ... Seeing a percentage of tuxes in both?

Barek

I know this topic has been beaten to death - but here's a sub-question to this perenial one that I can't recall seeing before (and the search tool on this site either hates me or my browser, so I've given up using it).

Anyhow ... for those who have been on ships using AYW ... has anyone noticed a difference in number of people in tuxes in traditional v. AYW?

We haven't been told yet what our dinner assignment is, so I'm beginning to suspect we're dropping to AYW (and we booked 9-months pre-cruise). So we were wondering if AYW tends to be more casual, or if there's still a percentage of men in tuxes in both sections.

Because we'll already have the tux from our wedding, we're extending the rental to cover the cruise (oddly, the one day rental costs more than the week-long cruise rental - for the same tux! Still totals less than buying, and it could be a few years/inches-around-the-waist before our next cruise, so not buying at this time) Just wondering if we'll stand out in AYW if we get stuck with that instead of traditional.

I do not think dining venue matters. It's all about Alaska.

Last May, in Alaska, after dinner, on the second formal night, we observed only two guys in tuxes and DH was one of them.

You never know what your fellow passengers are going to wear and how formal or causal the majority are going to turn out.

Do what makes you comfortable.

On our recent South America cruise on Rotterdam I did not notice any difference between the two types of diners. As Hammybee says I suspect it is the itinerary that makes the difference. We thought that about 40% wore tux's on ours.

On our recent Noordam cruise, I'd say the dress in Fixed Seating mirrored that in Open Seating. The menus are the same as well.

BTW, As You Wish Dining is the name given to the overall dining in the dining rooms...with Open Seating and Fixed Seating as its components.

Fixed or AYW have same dress code. Just came off HAL cruise and wore tux on 1 formal night, suit the other 2. Very few tuxes at anytime but wear your tux, get some great formal photos, and enjoy the formal nights and entire cruise.:)

The way the airlines are cutting the amount of luggage one can check without paying a large amount of money, there may be a few less tuxs on board. There is only so much space to pack and carrying a suit may be what most opt for on formal nights.

Bill

There is only so much space to pack and carrying a suit may be what most opt for on formal nights.

Bill

Don't a suit and a tux take up the same amount of space? :confused: A tux can always be rented, too, saving lots of space in the luggage.

Archived