baby monitor

principessa7

We are considering Alaska on Diamond Princess, but they don't have anymore adjoining rooms. If we had adjacent rooms would a baby monitor (Fisher Price 900 mhz) work from our room to listen to the kids while they sleep. We're first timers and this would give us peace of mind. thank you.

From a technical aspect I think it would work. We used a baby monitor in our suite and it worked between the bedroom and the living room which is the same distance as two cabins. However, depending how old your kids are I'm not sure about having them in an non-adjoining cabin. For most cruise lines the rule is one person in each cabin must be at least 21. I know a lot of people let older kids stay alone anyway. For me I would be nervous being separated from little ones... but maybe I'm just over cautious. Have a great cruise.

You won't be any farther away from you kids being next door, than you would be at home! Just because the room is not connecting, doesn't mean you're too far away!

I think the baby moniter is a great idea!

You won't be any farther away from you kids being next door, than you would be at home! Just because the room is not connecting, doesn't mean you're too far away!

True, but at home a kid can't just open the door and wander out into an unfamilar public place as easily as they can on a cruise ship. I guess it would really depend on the age and temperment of the kids.

Heck, my baby is only 6 months old so what do I know. Maybe I'm just an overprotective new mom. I'm sure I'll mellow out in a few years or so.

I notice from your other post that your kids are 4 years old and 13 months. That seems too young to put them in their own non-adjoining room, even right next door and with a baby monitor. I would go for the single room and you'll be fine. We have cruised on the Diamond and the cabins are roomy enough for all of you, even with a small crib or pack and play for the baby.

You don't mention how old your children are. That would make a big difference to most of our replies, I think. An older child 11 or 12 might be able to do it. But younger than that, in a strange room, I wouldn't.

Could you work with a travel agent and watch for an adjoining set of rooms that might open later for that cruise? Or choose something different and plan further out, so you could get the rooms of your choice. If you don't want to delay the trip, how about each of the parents splitting up? While your children are in kids club activities, you can "get together" for your alone time. ;) That's what most couples need to arrange when traveling with the kids.

I don't think it's being OVER protective or too cautious to think this out.

Thanks everyone for their replies. Kids are 4yo and 13mo. First timers so we didn't think about them wandering out or staff getting in. Scary. We're waitlisting for an adjoining room and we don't want to put off for another date because it's a family reunion. Tried swapping but no one else has adjoining either.

KarateMom2 said inside rooms are big enough on diamond. What do you do after they go to bed. No choice but to go to bed too right?? 13mo. is a light sleeper.

The cruise line will not allow you to keep children as young as yours in a cabin alone, even if it's right next door. Anyone with a pass key can get into your cabin at any time and it only takes seconds to snatch a baby out of a crib. At least with a balcony cabin you could sit out and enjoy the weather while the baby sleeps. And, you could do the babysitting thing with both kids, so you can have some free time at night. But I would greatly caution you to not keep a 1 and 4 year old alone in any cabin at any time. I just keep going back to that little girl who was taken out of the hotel room while her parents left them alone while they went off and partied.

Please, don't do it. There was another post recently about a lady who had her 3 kids, 16, 10, and 4 sleeping next door to them in another cabin without a connecting door. The 4 year old woke up and went out into the hallway and the door closed behind him, locking him out. Thank goodness someone came along and saw him sitting in the hallway crying.

A cruise ship is a like a small city and since you wouldn't leave your kids alone in a city, please don't do it on a ship.

Good luck in working out your room problem.

Thanks everyone for their replies. Kids are 4yo and 13mo. First timers so we didn't think about them wandering out or staff getting in. Scary. We're waitlisting for an adjoining room and we don't want to put off for another date because it's a family reunion. Tried swapping but no one else has adjoining either.

KarateMom2 said inside rooms are big enough on diamond. What do you do after they go to bed. No choice but to go to bed too right?? 13mo. is a light sleeper.

As others have said, for various reasons, they are much too young to be in a room on their own. Unless you take along your own personal babysitter to stay with them at night when they are put to bed. I don't know what the 3rd and 4th person rate is but that could even be an option for you if you have someone you trust to take along. Other than that, you should all be in the same room.

I've had friends take a toddler and in the evenings for awhile the little one was fine in the stroller sleeping while they walked around a bit, sat and enjoyed piano playing, etc.

And yes, I suppose when they go to bed you'll have to watch t.v. or read, etc. I'm not sure if Princess has 'in-room' babysitting but I suppose that would be an option too if its available. That's something you'd have to check out.

But you may be better off and more comfortable if you do know someone you could bring along with you. Sometimes you can get a good rate on the 3rd & 4th person and it would be someone you knew. Just a thought.

Have fun!:)

Because it's a family reunion, is there anyone that would appreciate a "complimentary" cruise if they share the kids' room and babysat...maybe a couple teen relatives that could take turns? An early to bed grandparent?

The ages are WAAAAY too young to leave alone. Get a room with a balcony so you and your husband can sit out and talk while the little ones sleep. Or split up for the evenings as I suggested earlier. Definitely look at ship sponsored babysitting too. When kids are young, sacrifices by the parents are a natural.

Because it's a family reunion, is there anyone that would appreciate a "complimentary" cruise if they share the kids' room and babysat...maybe a couple teen relatives that could take turns? An early to bed grandparent?

The ages are WAAAAY too young to leave alone. Get a room with a balcony so you and your husband can sit out and talk while the little ones sleep. Or split up for the evenings as I suggested earlier. Definitely look at ship sponsored babysitting too. When kids are young, sacrifices by the parents are a natural.

You said it !!! SACRIFICES !!! This should not have even been a question !! They are both infants !!! What is this world coming to??:confused:

Sorry bmwmama. Didn't think about a room next door being any different than home. Because we have "sacrificed" we haven't traveled because we couldn't bear to leave them. Plus it's not really a sacrifice because we love to be together. Didn't realize the risks due to our lack of experience. We thoght a family reunion was a good excuse to attempt our first family trip. Didn't mean to upset anyone, but please don't suggest bad things about us as parents.

I read threads like this, about having kids sleeping in one stateroom while parents sleep in another. Maybe this makes me overprotective...

We're going on our first family cruise in November. My kids will be 14 and 17 at the time and we DO have connecting staterooms...but won't have the kids together in one.

Hubby and I are splitting up. He'll sleep in one room with one kid, I'll sleep in the other with our other kid. Sure, we'll keep the connecting door open...but we both feel that with such a new environment one of us should be right there if they wake up in the middle of the night and hear an unfamiliar creak or noise. (and we all know that ships are not silent, and don't stand still like a regular hotel room),

I don't care that for one week out of our 22-year marriage I'm not in the same bed/room as my husband. I'm more interested in making this a wonderful family trip.

Sorry bmwmama. Didn't think about a room next door being any different than home. Because we have "sacrificed" we haven't traveled because we couldn't bear to leave them. Plus it's not really a sacrifice because we love to be together. Didn't realize the risks due to our lack of experience. We thoght a family reunion was a good excuse to attempt our first family trip. Didn't mean to upset anyone, but please don't suggest bad things about us as parents.

I did not think that about you-you just did not know.

I remebver a post sometime back when a young mother thought a baby monitor would work all the way to the dinningroom-boy did the poor thing get blasted-and it was so unfair too-as she had never been on ship and just did not know.

I like the idea of your treating a relative for their, in turn, helping out.

I read threads like this, about having kids sleeping in one stateroom while parents sleep in another. Maybe this makes me overprotective...

We're going on our first family cruise in November. My kids will be 14 and 17 at the time and we DO have connecting staterooms...but won't have the kids together in one.

Hubby and I are splitting up. He'll sleep in one room with one kid, I'll sleep in the other with our other kid. Sure, we'll keep the connecting door open...but we both feel that with such a new environment one of us should be right there if they wake up in the middle of the night and hear an unfamiliar creak or noise. (and we all know that ships are not silent, and don't stand still like a regular hotel room),

I don't care that for one week out of our 22-year marriage I'm not in the same bed/room as my husband. I'm more interested in making this a wonderful family trip.

The way it should be !! Good Mommy and daddy !!! Can you tell I have grandchildren ???:D protect those babies while you still can !!!!

I am sure you are very good parents just not thinking when you asked such a question !! Becareful what you ask on here you might not like your answer and when it comes to children "that's my job" their safety !! enjoy them while you can they grow up so very fast !!:) Lucky babies going on a cruise !!!:D

The four year old will be able to take part in the Princess Pelican's kid's club. Our two girls have very much enjoyed the various kids's programs. They run during the day for sea days, and most evenings from 7-10pm, and usually offer late night group sitting in the club after that until 1am (most kids are fast asleep by then, and ours LOVE the "sleepover" night that we allow them to have once per cruise). You should definitely look into this for the 4 year old, especially if he/she goes to preschool (the routines are similar, but with a lot of fun activities stuffed into the three hour blocks of time).

The 13 month old will be too young for any organized programs. The stroller idea might work (couldn't hurt), and we saw several parents on our NCL Star cruise last week strolling their sleeping ones around the ship after dinner. The key is to find a quiet place to hang out after they drift off to sleep. If this is a family trip, you may want to arrange for a night or two off "duty" with one of your relatives.

No matter what, you are very likely to have a good time. We have been hooked on cruising with kids for the last two years now!

Please, don't do it. There was another post recently about a lady who had her 3 kids, 16, 10, and 4 sleeping next door to them in another cabin without a connecting door. The 4 year old woke up and went out into the hallway and the door closed behind him, locking him out. Thank goodness someone came along and saw him sitting in the hallway crying.

A cruise ship is a like a small city and since you wouldn't leave your kids alone in a city, please don't do it on a ship.

Good luck in working out your room problem.

Two young families <30 traveling together stuck all their kids (5 of them under the age of 7) in one forward cabin. On our first night onboard, the kids were playing outside in the hallway, running from side to side slamming into neighboring cabin doors. They weren't rowdy or overly loud, just bored. After a while I heard a loud thud outside our door and opened it only to have a small child fall into our cabin.

He immediately stood up and backed out of our cabin. When asked what they were doing, the oldest immediately spoke up and said "Our cabin is really small and my dad is asleep." I asked about mom and was told that she was in the room with dad. Apparently the parents had too much to drink and had abandoned the children or forgot their kids were on vacation, too. It really bothered me that the parents did this and whenever I saw the children, I made it a point to make sure they were OK.

I know this is an extreme case but I wouldn't take a chance of small children being out of my sight. I would opt for the balcony cabin and enlist the aide of older relatives whenever possible for a couples (out of cabin) getaway and at other times, enjoy the balcony.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Thank you again everyone for their input and informing us about the liabilities that we just weren't aware of. 2 adjoining rooms just opened up last minute and thanks to everyone's suggestions we're going to split up with the kids so at least the 4yo gets to sleep. The extra room will be nice during the day for my 1yo to run around.

By the way retiree wannabee's comment about "not considering sex the most important factor" on a family trip. That was a good one. WHAT SEX? Does that still happen w/ 2 kids??:p

Just for clarification: Are you in "adjoining" cabins or "connecting" cabins? Makes a huge difference. Adjoining are just cabins right next door to each other and connecting means you have an inside door that opens to the inside of each cabin. Since you're a cruise newbie, you might not know the differences between the two cabins. BTW, have a great cruise.

Archived