Desserts onboard

cs

I am another dessert freak and love the creme brulee and the souffles. I also love key lime pie (I am Aussie, we don't get that). One night I ordered the sugar free key lime pie because I thought "how bad can it be" - well it was bad!! Nothing like key lime pie. :(

Beryl

Thanks for the great thread!

I'm allergic to chocolate and not fond of ice cream. On a recent couple of cruises -- on a cruiseline that will remain unnamed ;) -- there were evenings I didn't have a single choice and wound up with the cheese plate and a disappointed sweet tooth. I had begun wondering what the desserts were like on Princess (all I can remember from my only other Princess cruise was lusting after other's Loveboat Dreams... :o ) and I'm pleased to see that I'll have plenty of choices.

Thanks, everybody!

Dessert lovers should not miss the chocolate buffet and dessert buffets if they're scheduled. On our 15 day LA-Hawaii they offered both. The desserts were truly magnificent, and I'm still dreaming of them three months later!

I had the Love Boat Dream just once on last year's cruise, being pre-diabetic and having to "watch it", but I thought it was absolutely heavenly! One thing nobody mentioned is the incredibly good frozen yogurts in the dining room at lunchtime. Exotic creations like mango, passionfruit etc. Exquisite!

Personally, and just my opinion, I thought the souffle's were a big disappointment, they tasted like wet bread to me. Isn't it nice that we all have different tastes and different preferences!:D

Dessert lovers should not miss the chocolate buffet and dessert buffets if they're scheduled. On our 15 day LA-Hawaii they offered both. The desserts were truly magnificent, and I'm still dreaming of them three months later!

That chocolate buffet was a chocoholic dream. Yummo. So good.

marilyn

I love the stuffed peaches, and the tiramisu from Sabatini's is to die for (hint, you can ask for it in the regular dining room too!)

The frozen yogurts and ice creams are lovely. My favorite is hazelnut.

I have not gotten around to trying the cheesecake but it looks awesome!

I love the stuffed peaches, and the tiramisu from Sabatini's is to die for (hint, you can ask for it in the regular dining room too!)

The frozen yogurts and ice creams are lovely. My favorite is hazelnut.

I have not gotten around to trying the cheesecake but it looks awesome!

Can you ask for the tiramisu even if it's not on the regular dining room menu?? :D

Here is a link to my Princess food album with pictures of deserts included. Enjoy! http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/559123761cXMNZX

THAT got me excited for the food on this cruise. We have cruised the Star twice, and have not seen some of these items on the menus. Same with the dessert list on p. 1...many I don't remember seeing.

Honestly, I have not been impressed w/ desserts on Princess or DCL. Now, I am not a dessert person, so that may have something to do with it. The ice cream is REALLY good, though. Always have wanted to order the cheese plate, but simply too full at that point.

NOW...that toasted almond martini looks like the PERFECT dessert!:p

Can you ask for the tiramisu even if it's not on the regular dining room menu?? :D
You can ask and the worst response that they would give you is that they do not have any available. Frequently when you request something that is not on the menu they will make it special for you the next evening.

I once, on a 12 day cruise, asked if it would be possible to get a dish of fresh strawberries - answer was they would see what they could do - the next 10 nights a dish of strawberries always appeared.

Speaking of fresh strawberries it has always been possible to have them served with the Traditional New York Cheesecake which comes with a strawberry sauce. Our waiter suggested that many cruises ago.

My favorite dessert is the Double Dutch Molton Chocolate Cake thingy in the Crown Grill. It's a rich chocolate souffle...on crack! No, really though, it is a super rich delicious dessert. The inside is a hot melted rich chocolate, while the outside cake part had a light crispness to it. To die for! It's the only dessert I wanted more and more.

Personally, and just my opinion, I thought the souffle's were a big disappointment, they tasted like wet bread to me. Isn't it nice that we all have different tastes and different preferences!:D

I have to agree with you about the regular souffle's in the dining room. They seemed too dry for me in the middle. They were too much like a plain piece of cake to me. Even the sauces were a bit too bland for my taste. My opinion changed when I had that molton thingy in the Crown Grill. Now that's a souffle!

Thanks for the great thread!

I'm allergic to chocolate and not fond of ice cream. On a recent couple of cruises -- on a cruiseline that will remain unnamed ;) -- there were evenings I didn't have a single choice and wound up with the cheese plate and a disappointed sweet tooth. I had begun wondering what the desserts were like on Princess (all I can remember from my only other Princess cruise was lusting after other's Loveboat Dreams... :o ) and I'm pleased to see that I'll have plenty of choices.

Thanks, everybody!

You and I are opposites: I generally only like chocolate stuff, and there are frequently nights that nothing appeals to me (and I can't have a Love Boat Dream every night -- well, I guess I could . . . ). So you should have lots of good choices.

My favourites that aren't chocolate are the tiramisu and the menage a trois, which was a trio of three small cakes: semi-freddo, opera, and I can't recall the third one. And I've also seen opera cake by itself on the menu as well, and it's delicious.

THAT got me excited for the food on this cruise. We have cruised the Star twice, and have not seen some of these items on the menus. Same with the dessert list on p. 1...many I don't remember seeing.

Honestly, I have not been impressed w/ desserts on Princess or DCL. Now, I am not a dessert person, so that may have something to do with it. The ice cream is REALLY good, though. Always have wanted to order the cheese plate, but simply too full at that point.

NOW...that toasted almond martini looks like the PERFECT dessert!:p

I think Princess's desserts have gone way down JMO

Now Palo's on DCL has the best souffle I have ever had on land or sea:D :D :D :D

I failed to mention the chocolate pecan pie. Not as good as my mother's pecan pie but it was still fabo. One of our tablemates had gotten it at Sterlings, asked our head waiter about it, and five minutes later, he brought a piece for everyone at our table. He did the same thing every night. Talk about spoiling us. :)

We found the desserts last week a bit lacking. The loveboat dream (or whatever it's called) was not the hit of sugar I was after as it was actually a bit bland. They were fine, just not what I expected. I typically just resorted to the normal cheesecake or ice cream.

I think that the desserts are the weakest part of the dinner. As someone else mentioned the chef's aren't American, so the desserts just aren't as sweet and sugary as we're used to. Loved the cheese cake (always on the menu), and the oatmeal, and chocolate chip cookies in the Horizon Court. The ice creams and sherberts were also very good. The desserts were very pretty to look at, but in my opinion came up short on taste. But the rest of the dinner menu is just outstanding. Really, by the time you get to dessert you're stuffed, and just a little dip of ice cream is more than enough.

The desserts on Princess are "EXCELLENT" no matter what you choose - the soufles are the best I have ever had, ice cream is homemade and all are excellent. The creme brules are excellent. There are none that I would throw overboard! We have early dinner and often return after the show just for another dessert.

Ron

My favorite dessert is the Double Dutch Molton Chocolate Cake thingy in the Crown Grill. It's a rich chocolate souffle...on crack! No, really though, it is a super rich delicious dessert. The inside is a hot melted rich chocolate, while the outside cake part had a light crispness to it. To die for! It's the only dessert I wanted more and more.

Oh, I would love this with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. BIG YUMMY!!!

Archived