Frontier Airlines Bankrupt

AFT_LOVER

Here's the top 20 Airlines, over $1 Billion in operating revenues, in alphabetical order. Those marked with Chapter 11 filings have occured since 2001.

ABX Air

AirTran Airways

Alaska Airlines

American Airlines

American Eagle Airlines

Atlantic Southeast Airlines (Chapter 11)

Atlas Air/Polar Air Cargo

Comair

Continental Airlines

Delta Air Lines (Chapter 11)

FedEx Express (No passengers)

Frontier Airlines (Chapter 11)

JetBlue Airways

Mesa Airlines

Northwest Airlines (Chapter 11)

SkyWest

Southwest Airlines

United Airlines (Chapter 11)

UPS Airlines (No passengers)

US Airways (Chapter 11)

Then add Aloha, ATA, Hawaiian, and Skybus, which didn't acheive $1 billion in operating revenues last year, to this list.

The American traveling public has placed their trust and prefers the higher speeds of airlines for long distance traveling. It's a shame so many are in bankruptcy court. Other legendary lines are no longer around too, remember Braniff, Eastern, PanAm and TWA which left the scenes in the 20th Century? There are probably others I failed to mention.

With so many going bankrupted, one wonders if there are predators around? Something must be done to raise fares before they all go broke.

This is a result, primarily, of the predictable chaos that has ensued since the airline industry was deregulated in 1978. On the one hand, airfares have plummeted, which has been great for the consumer. On the other, the helter-skelter way in which the industry is run now has seen the rise and fall of many airlines. Back when the CAB existed, a start-up airline such as Independence Air would never have been given an operating certificate. The Board would have taken one look at their business plan and rejected it out of hand as insupportable. If you look back further than your 2001 timeline, you'll note that Continental was in Chapter 11 twice, as well. United and Delta didn't use Chapter 11 to reorganize and avoid liquidation, but as a tool to void labor contracts and dump pension obligations on the taxpayers. I'd love to see a return of the CAB but that's not going to happen.

Something must be done to raise fares before they all go broke.
The easiest thing to do is to address the big issue which keeps fares low: there are too many airlines with too many seats chasing too few passengers. And the way to prune the ranks of the airlines is to stop Chapter 11 being used as a way of keeping moribund airlines alive.

So, in a way, it's heartening from an industry point of view to see that several airlines have actually gone bust this year, instead of being kept on artificial life-support and dragging down other airlines with them. It's a huge pity for all the passengers whose travel is disrupted, but the fix has got to start somewhere.

If you look back further than your 2001 timeline, you'll note that Continental was in Chapter 11 twice, as well. United and Delta didn't use Chapter 11 to reorganize and avoid liquidation, but as a tool to void labor contracts and dump pension obligations on the taxpayers. I'd love to see a return of the CAB but that's not going to happen.

Boy, ain't that the truth.

I'm still just amazed, really, at the passengers who scream for $0.98 airfare and then complain that they don't get hot meals. Most airline passengers don't have the slightest clue as to what it takes to operate one plane safely, let alone a whole fleet of them. All they want is that fare.

Not only do the skies lack a CAB, the airlines are in such a mess that there are no predatory Carl Icahns or Frank Lorenzos wanting to step in like there were in the go-go '80s. They helped destroy air travel and did nothing good for the industry.

Globalizer, I think competition is healthy but it has to be a regulated competition. Smaller cities need to be served and competition is the only way to ensure that planes still go to those secondary and tertiary markets.

I just hope that this AA debacle doesn't finally do AA in. It's the only major (international) US airline that has not filed bankruptcy... yet. Gerard Arpey says that the groundings this week will be costing "Tens of millions of dollars." With that, customer dissatisfaction and the fuel cost, I am praying that the airline can maintain. Otherwise, it will be sooner rather than later that we see three airlines total and transcontinental flights costing $1,000 or more. People who complain about NCL "nickel and diming" won't know what hit them.

Jana

They say the quickest way to make a million dollars in the airline business ... is to start with five million.

Overseas airlines, to some degree, are not in much better shape.

Calling them bankrupt is probably over the top. If you bother to actually read the story, they filed to protect themselves from increased withholdings of a credit card processor. We'll just have to wait and see what happens next.

Calling them bankrupt is probably over the top. If you bother to actually read the story, they filed to protect themselves from increased withholdings of a credit card processor. We'll just have to wait and see what happens next.

Read the story? Come on, that's a lot to ask!! :)

MACOP likes to stir the pot, so to speak, and the nitty gritty details are beyond her comprehension skills.

I think her perceptions have been clouded by exposure to black light.;)

with the Chapter 11 title which is the same egg. SO ms perfect, read correctly.

Read the story? Come on, that's a lot to ask!! :)

MACOP likes to stir the pot, so to speak, and the nitty gritty details are beyond her comprehension skills.

I think her perceptions have been clouded by exposure to black light.;)

Guest nhrich

Bankruptcy and mergers are two different things. NW may be the next to disappear, but it won't be from bankruptcy (which they just came out of last year).

Archived