RCI vs Princess

Hi all....

We have been on 4 cruises all with Princess. Surfing I came across a doozy of a deal for a 10-day Panama Canal cruise on the Jewel of the Seas in November. Everybody I've spoken to says that RCI is highly comparable to Princess. Has anyone on this board done both lines?

Hi all....

We have been on 4 cruises all with Princess. Surfing I came across a doozy of a deal for a 10-day Panama Canal cruise on the Jewel of the Seas in November. Everybody I've spoken to says that RCI is highly comparable to Princess. Has anyone on this board done both lines?

Interesting you should mention that. I am actually debating that cruise on RCI for our honeymoon, (or to do a southern caribbean on princess) I have never cruised either line so I am not sure what to expect and a little hesitant in booking!?

BTW which booking did you do for the panama Nov 7 or the 17TH? We were thinking the 17th (b/c Aruba is a port of call instead of Haiti.) But when I was searching, the prices were SO HIGH compared to those on the Emerald Princess.

(I saw you were on this ship...what did you think?)

I am just trying to decide what would be best for a honeymoon cruise!

Thanks!

I have sailed RCI 4 times and Princess 3 times, and the comparison depends on what you like about Princess. Princess pluses: movies under the stars, laundry, until recently personal choice dining, fresh water pools. RCI pluses: entertainment (ice rink, rock wall, miniature golf), more for children, solarium.) RCI can be more "in your face" both good and bad.

No cruise is a bad cruise!

el henry

There are things we like about both.

I love Princess Caribe deck with the larger partially covered balcony. Suites are totally exposed, but this depends on ship class.

Also like having laundry facilities.

RCI has large balcony cabins which include a sofa and the solarium on RCI - adults only.

We choose where we want to go first, not the ship.

But even some of the perks you mentioned aren't offered on all ships, Princess and RCI alike. You would have to be on the right ship in order to have many of these options. I was curious when you said "until recently, personal choice dining" on Princess. Have they changed that since last year?

I have sailed RCI 4 times and Princess 3 times, and the comparison depends on what you like about Princess. Princess pluses: movies under the stars, laundry, until recently personal choice dining, fresh water pools. RCI pluses: entertainment (ice rink, rock wall, miniature golf), more for children, solarium.) RCI can be more "in your face" both good and bad.

No cruise is a bad cruise!

el henry

I'm not sure you can compare RCI with Princess.I have sailed both and have enjoyed both for differnt reasons. I think the food,service, and cabins are comparable however, I think they provide 2 differnt experiences.RCI is much more lively and never seems to have shortage of things to do(night parades,ice shows,rock climbing ect.).On the other hand, princess has tons of things to do also( wine tastings,great movies,ect.) but in a more sedate atmosphere. I don't think you would have a bad experience, I have also never chosen to sail based on a ships laundry availibility.If the price is right, give rci a try, if you don't like it at least you can say you have tried it.:)

Both lines are really good. I like the set dining time, same waiter, same table service on RCI. One of the most fun things on a cruise is having fun with a great waiter in the dining room. We booked Caribbean Princess over six months in advance for an early December cruise and were put on a waiting list for their one traditional dining room. They told us there were over 400 people already on the WAITING list for that. We knew we would not get it.

It is MHO that there is more accountability when you have the same waiter every night. We also tipped our waiter above and beyond the suggested tip amount for our New Years cruise aboard Monarch. Christavo was fantastic! We did not receive anywhere near that level of service (or fun) from any of the waiters that we had each night on Princess.

We liked MUTS and the fact that there were four pools to choose from on Princess. Skywalkers disco high above the ship was fun each night too.

The crowd seemed a bit older on Princess.(This may be a result of the time of year. We departed on December 3).

My DW and I are looking hard at some RCI cruises this summer and spring break 09 so we will be Platinum C and A members when we book for Europe in 2010. I know all you D and D+ CCers are saying "Platinum???" but we've got to get there before we head for Diamond, right?

There are many similarities and differences that I did not mention here but both lines are really, really good. Did I mention that I'm looking at RCI for our next cruise bookings? We also booked an open Future Cruise with the LA on Monarch. (I'm looking hard at buying RCI stock right now to be able to use OBC).

Sorry, that was confusing...

I meant that now that RCI is introducing a version of personal choice, it is no longer a difference between the lines. I started with RCCL in 1988, cruised three times, and then learned to love the personal choice/freestyle concept. I came back to RCI because they began implementing that concept, and also because even I will admit that a 12 person group (in honor of the parents' 50th) is better served by traditional. *But* it is enshrined in Princess, and still an experiment, as far I know with RCI.

el henry

But even some of the perks you mentioned aren't offered on all ships, Princess and RCI alike. You would have to be on the right ship in order to have many of these options. I was curious when you said "until recently, personal choice dining" on Princess. Have they changed that since last year?

I booked the November 28th Panama cruise on the Jewel of the Seas because frankly of the great price. This will be our first Panama cruise and a first with RCI and it looks like we'll have a great time!

Interesting you should mention that. I am actually debating that cruise on RCI for our honeymoon, (or to do a southern caribbean on princess) I have never cruised either line so I am not sure what to expect and a little hesitant in booking!?

BTW which booking did you do for the panama Nov 7 or the 17TH? We were thinking the 17th (b/c Aruba is a port of call instead of Haiti.) But when I was searching, the prices were SO HIGH compared to those on the Emerald Princess.

Thanks!

The Emerald is a beautiful ship and we had a great time. But we did notice that most of the passengers were seniors and by seniors I mean 70+

Seriously? Wow, and I say wow meaning there isnt anything wrong with that, but this would be our honeymoon?!

I just like the stops in the caribbean on that ship because there are quite a few, as opposed to the ones on RCI for the panama.more sea days....less visting?!

Well either way...maybe we will see you there!?

The Emerald is a beautiful ship and we had a great time. But we did notice that most of the passengers were seniors and by seniors I mean 70+

I was on a 10 day Panama Canal cruise on Brilliance of the Seas in January and the average age was also about 70+, so don't get your hopes up that the RCI crowd will be younger and livelier. I think longer cruises attract an older crowd. It was a very sedate cruise, but I loved it anyway since I'm a sedate, young person.

I've been on the Caribbean Princess and loved it too. For me, it's a toss up between the two lines, so I would choose price and ports over ship when deciding between the two. :)

Seriously? Wow, and I say wow meaning there isnt anything wrong with that, but this would be our honeymoon?!

I just like the stops in the caribbean on that ship because there are quite a few, as opposed to the ones on RCI for the panama.more sea days....less visting?!

I've been on both lines a few time; I'm actually dying to do the itinerary on the Emerald Princess - just too many other cruise 'obligations' at the moment! I plan on doing the S Caribbean itinerary in 2009

I would do either lines again in a heartbeat.

The biggest difference between the 2 lines is food quality; Princess generally has quite the edge over Royal Caribbean.

However, I love RCI ships - the ambiance and entertainment value is awesome.

We were on Crown Princess (sister to Emerald) and found it to be very nice; not as much a party ship as RCI, but definitely great for a honeymoon.

You've got the Sanctuary which is well worth the small fee- you have to get there early to get in though. Perfect place for honeymooners to relax and unwind.

Movies Under the Stars - Romantic.

As far as the age demographics; depends on time of year. We went in Sept and it was a mix of ages. There are always mixed ages and you can have fun with all!

Hope that helps!

I've been on both lines a few time; I'm actually dying to do the itinerary on the Emerald Princess - just too many other cruise 'obligations' at the moment! I plan on doing the S Caribbean itinerary in 2009

The biggest difference between the 2 lines is food quality; Princess generally has quite the edge over Royal Caribbean.

We were on Crown Princess (sister to Emerald) and found it to be very nice; not as much a party ship as RCI, but definitely great for a honeymoon.

You've got the Sanctuary which is well worth the small fee- you have to get there early to get in though. Perfect place for honeymooners to relax and unwind.

As far as the age demographics; depends on time of year. We went in Sept and it was a mix of ages. There are always mixed ages and you can have fun with all!

Hope that helps!

Thanks....being our first Panama cruise I can't really comment on the choice of ports but the price is almost a steal and change is always good.

Thanks!

I just wanted to suggest that you don't rule out RCCL itineraries because they call on Haiti. Royal Caribbean leases an isolated peninsula on the northern coast of Haiti called Labadee. It is totally removed from the country, and it's one of the most beautiful private beaches in the Caribbean. In fact, it's probably our favorite port and doesn't compare to Aruba!

Congratulations on the impending nuptials and graduation from Nursing School!

I'm an RN & LOVE to cruise. Hubby and I had our honeymoon on the Caribbean Princess; it was perfect! :)

I'm an RCL or Princess gal; but I'll cruise on anyline if the price and itinerary are right! A day at sea is better than a day at home anyday!

You'll have to join us someday on one of the Nursing Cruise Seminars at Sea. Seminar last year was great; this year The Cruise Academy is going to Mexico; I'm so psyched for October!

Hope that helps!

Thanks again! That really does help!

I think we may go with the Emerald. Just because of the stops. We would either do the Nov. 10 or 20th cruise (stops like aruba barbados, dominica, ect)

I am a little nervous about the crowd, because as much as we want to relax, when a club opens we are there tearing down the dance floor and want that to be fun!

Also for the price of a balcony on RCI we could do a Mini on Princess (and have enough to spare between the difference for a few excursions!)

All the tips really help and I know either way we will have a great time, but this is the ONE time..that I want to be slightly better than GREAT~. :)

Chelsea

Congratulations on the impending nuptials and graduation from Nursing School!

I'm an RN & LOVE to cruise. Hubby and I had our honeymoon on the Caribbean Princess; it was perfect! :)

I'm an RCL or Princess gal; but I'll cruise on anyline if the price and itinerary are right! A day at sea is better than a day at home anyday!

You'll have to join us someday on one of the Nursing Cruise Seminars at Sea. Seminar last year was great; this year The Cruise Academy is going to Mexico; I'm so psyched for October!

I would love to join you....I take the NCLEX sometime in June!! I am nervous, but know that this is what I was meant to do.. where do you work as an RN?

I am applying for jobs in post partum/ L & D...

Sorry I know thats all a little off cruise line topics...feel free to email me,

cmalibu1@yahoo.com <--can we give our email on this site?

Anyways, I am glad to hear your honeymoon on princess was great...where were the port of calls? When did you go? Like I said earlier, I am a little nervous about the crowd, and really hope that booking with Princess is a great choice!

Thanks for the help!

Chelsea

I would love to join you....I take the NCLEX sometime in June!! I am nervous, but know that this is what I was meant to do.. where do you work as an RN?

I am applying for jobs in post partum/ L & D...

Sorry I know thats all a little off cruise line topics...feel free to email me,

cmalibu1@yahoo.com <--can we give our email on this site?

Anyways, I am glad to hear your honeymoon on princess was great...where were the port of calls? When did you go? Like I said earlier, I am a little nervous about the crowd, and really hope that booking with Princess is a great choice!

Thanks for the help!

Chelsea

You'll be fine on the cruise! Also, it's around Thanksgiving, so you are likely to have more families and such onboard.

Our ports of call were St Thomas, St. Maarten and Princess Cays, it was perfect, then we spent a few days in Fort Lauderdale; great city! Very Romantic with the waterways.

I'll drop you a line. Take Care.

Archived