Dog Sledding or Mushing in Skagway

akissa

I'm really bummed. We're on the Alaska cruise for Sept '05. we really wanted to do the dog sled or mushing tours but just found out that it's not available at that time.

Does anyone know of any other tours that could possibly equal up to an experience like dog sledding?

Snowmelt is the issue with the dogsledding.

An equal experience? That sort of depends on what you wanted out of the dog sledding.

1. There are plenty of chances to interact with sled dogs. There are kennels located in various places. If you're going to Denali, the park has its own kennel that you can visit for free to see a sled demonstration, learn about sledding and then interact with the dogs.

2. Snowless mushing. They run some tours (I think out of Skagway and then some in the interior) that give you a rougher ride on gravel. Its not the same and you don't get your flightseeing component, but an option. Some complain its too rough. I have no personal knowledge.

3. Strongly consider another flightseeing tour to a glacier with either a walkabout or a trek (2-4 hour hike depending on your liking). You get basically the same sort of awe inspiring flying and then get time on the glacier. The sledding would have basically landed on a snowy location, the glacier landing will let you explore the ice formations themselves. I promise this won't disappoint (especially the trek)! Trekking is out of Juneau and landings are in Skagway and Juneau.

I opted for a glacier trek (our clear favorite excursion out of some really amazing excursions), which was not hard physically and just amazing to experience + dog interactions elsewhere (randomly in port + Denali kennels). I thought this was the best of all worlds because I really wanted to explore the glacier rather than the snow.

Are the tours already available for booking? I thought you couldn't start reserving until 3-4 months out.

We did the musher's camp, which is a little hokey (a sled ride on a wheeled cart), but we had a ball. The guide told us that they are hoping to expand the program (there were only 3 outings w/12 people per day) by next year, so they may be available by the time you're ready to book. It wasn't really rough, but you did have to wear a seatbelt & hang on! My photos of the dogs' patooties are a little blurry, too!:D

This is a consistantly raved about tour. Consider changing your cruise dates? If going mid or later Sept- take a long look at the weather negatives possible and dusk by 7pm. Last 2 seasons had excellent weather but that's not the norm. But hope for repeats. :)

I didn't want to spend the $400 for the real dog sledding (had just bought a new car and was feeling broke) - so I booked a $99 wheeled dog sledding through the ship. I had fun - ofcourse it doesn't match up to the real thing but I enjoyed it.

Here is the website to book it independently:

http://www.alaskaexcursions.com/sdadescription.htm

Here are some pics from my trip:

http://homepage.mac.com/tlassek/alaska2004/PhotoAlbum35.html

We spent about 45 minutes playing with the dogs and learning about dog mushing and then we spent 45 minutes with the dogs on the sled. Though the actually sled ride was probably about 14 minutes. They brought us up the hill and we had to stop and have them rest and then up the rest of the hill and then another resting time and then down the hill. The musher we had was named "Hugh" and he was Rookie of the Year for last year's Iditarod. Hope this helps.

We have just returned from the summit cruise (last of the season) and took the wheeled dog sled tour with Hugh. It was fun and worth the money, he has packed up for the season now to move north in training for the big races.

You can check him out and keep track of the race at http://www.laughingeyeskennel.com

I would recommend this tour to everybody, even those afraid of dogs(as i am), he has 100 dogs up there and they are all friendly you have lots of time to interact with them and Hugh is great, he even takes photos and video for you while up the top waiting while the dogs get ready to go back down

Archived