enough time

hunt182644

What's your speed in the 100 yard dash?

Assuming the incoming flight is on time. Which, in the winter, it rarely is. Come to think of it, in the summer it rarely is.

Of course, the outbound flight could be delayed too. But if you have my air karma, that one will leave on time.

More than likely, you will be arriving in terminal 2 and departing from terminal 1 ... about a 10-minute walk to the B gates and maybe 15 minutes to the C gates in that terminal. Indeed, should be fine if there are no issues/delays on your Omaha-originating flight. Then, there's the weather ...

Most of the OMA-ORD flights are 757s, which will either park at the mid B gates or mid C gates. Your flight to FLL will be on a TED A-320. They always leave from a B gate. 56 minutes is plenty of time. Have a great cruise.

More than likely, you will be arriving in terminal 2 and departing from terminal 1 ... about a 10-minute walk to the B gates and maybe 15 minutes to the C gates in that terminal. Indeed, should be fine if there are no issues/delays on your Omaha-originating flight. Then, there's the weather ...

Terminal 1 at O'Hare includes both concourse B & C. It's United's terminal (and Lufthansa departures)

Terminal 2 used to house United's gates until terminal 1 was opened in 1987. Now it houses concourse E and F

E: Air Canada, JetBlue, United Express, US Airways Express, Northwest, Contintal

F: U.S. Airways Express, United Express

Terminal 3: Concourses G, H, K, L mostly American but also Delta, Spirit, Alaska

Terminal 4: International Arrivals

Personally, I would be looking at outbound flights going through DFW, IAH, or HOU if there are any. Return flights wouldn't matter as much. I can always call ahead and let work know that I'm stuck:rolleyes:

Going through ORD in the dead of winter with <1 hour layover time would have me worried.

Are you travelling a day before the cruise? That might make me feel a bit more secure in flying north to get south.

Charlie

I fly through O'Hare all the time (hard to avoid it as a United pilot). In all my years of flying through there, maybe five percent of the time I've encountered a significant delay due to weather. I've experienced just about as many delays flying through IAH and DFW, mainly due to thunderstorms. Can I guarantee the weather for your flight will be perfect? Of course not. If you're really worried about your connection, go a day earlier.

Terminal 1 at O'Hare includes both concourse B & C. It's United's terminal (and Lufthansa departures)

Terminal 2 used to house United's gates until terminal 1 was opened in 1987. Now it houses concourse E and F

E: Air Canada, JetBlue, United Express, US Airways Express, Northwest, Contintal

Terminal 3: Concourses G, H, K, L mostly American but also Delta, Spirit, Alaska

Might I add ...

Terminal 1: All Nippon (ANA) outbound

Terminal 3: American Eagle and Iberia outbound

Most of the OMA-ORD flights are 757s, which will either park at the mid B gates or mid C gates. Your flight to FLL will be on a TED A-320. They always leave from a B gate. 56 minutes is plenty of time. Have a great cruise.

Originally I believedd OMA/ORD service to be on regionals ... I now realize (based on my OAG) that they are, for the most part, 737's and indeed those flights would arrive T1 in a B gate.

Thank you ... but I'm aware of the layout of my home airport, as I've spent near 30 years in aviation-related stuff.

I only added that because you had mentioned in your first post that he would be arriving at Terminal 2. That would be true only if he were flying in on an RJ. It wasn't a flame or criticism--just a clarification for the OP. I'm pretty aware of the O'Hare layout, too--I was based there for ten years. There are seven flights a day from OMA to ORD on United or United Express. The six a.m. departure is always a 757, three others are guppies (737s) and three are RJs.

three others are guppies (737s) and three are RJs.

If 737's are guppies, does that make the RJ's minnows?? ;)

I still remember when the 737 was known as "Fat Albert" or "SLUF". In the days when you had wide varieties of types flying, it made for interesting days of plane spotting....now it's one 737 after another. (or so it sometimes seems).

Hello there.

Just want to get some idea about the layover time one needs to clear immigration, customs and make connection to the next flight. What would be a minimum period to get through all that say at LAX or ORD? We’ll be flying United from HKG to IAH in July and we have a 1hr 20min layover in ORD. After talking with the travel agent (TA) we are now flying United from HKG to LAX to DEN to IAH. The layover in LAX is 2 hrs. Would that be enough time to get us through immigration and customs to our connecting flight?

All advice/comments are welcomed

Mary

I think you'll be all right through LAX, and customs there stinks. I did that exact flight a while back: HKG to LAX to DEN with two hours and made it with time for a FiveBucks (Starbucks ;) )

The tail winds are usually favorable so you might even end up with a bit over two hours.

May the winds be at your back!

That's plenty of time at LAX. You would have been hard pressed to make a 1+20 connection at ORD from an international flight because international flights arrive at Terminal 4 and then you have to get over to Terminal 1.

Archived