Bits and Pieces of Advice Needed

gointostpete

Headed to Alaska for the second time in June. Trip is mostly planned, but as I get back into research/planning mode, I find I have some minor questions about things we're doing here and there.

1. Denali Shuttle Bus - can anyone describe how this works? It says it takes something like 11 hours - is this if you sit on the bus for the entire time? Must be going very slow. Does it stop for pictures if the opportunity arises? I know you can get off and back on another bus - is that only at specific spots? Would I want to get off and spend some time walking around on my own? Will we still be bothered by bugs if we're mostly on the bus?

2. Have no plans for Skagway (on purpose). We've been there before and no excursions moved us enough to want to lock in a reservation. Is Haines worth visiting and can we just walk up and buy a ticket on the ferry?

3. We are dropping off our rental car in Whittier before boarding. How early can we board? Would it be possible to check-in, drop off car and still manage to catch a PWS cruise without having reserations ahead of time?

3a. Speaking of rental car, I reserved it by calling the Anchorage office of Avis directly. Kind of made me nervous that they only took our name, no credit card. I've already called back once on some pretense, just to make sure they really did have us down (they did and even faxed me the reservation). The woman I spoke to said I couldn't check my reservation with the 800 number, only through their office directly. How does that work exactly? How do they not overbook? I'm just paranoid because having a car is pretty much the key to the whole next week of our vacation.

4. Any suggestions for a good place to load up on supplies in or around Anchorage or on the way to Denali (I'm thinking Walmart, large grocery store, something like that)? How about on the Kenai peninsula, headed out toward Soldotna? I've heard there is a Fred Meyer, but I'm not familiar with the chain.

Nothing terribly urgent and I'm sure we'll figure it out once we get there regardless.

Many thanks for your attention!

I assume you booked a Wonder Lake Shuttle bus?? The passengers yell "stop" and the bus does. Totally random depending on what wildlife is sighted. Many people ride the same bus. It stops at rest stops about 90 minutes, for 15-20 minutes. You reboard the same bus, unless you want to stay. You can get off the bus ANYWHERE that has no wildlife spotted, there are no trails. Get off and walk about, then head back to the road and wait for a bus. YES you most certainly have to be well prepared for bugs going in June to Wonder Lake, even if staying on the bus.

You usually can get walk up ferry tickets to Haines.

There also are usually walk up PWS boat tour tickets available. The best tour leaves around 11am but several leave around 1pm. IF you want to get on an off your ship, you need to add this time, along with the car rental return, a short walk, and the tunnel time. So back up from where you are starting, if you want the boat tour. In my opinion, I wouldn't even bother boarding the ship. Call and again confirm your reservation before you leave, and get names, if you are worried about the reservation.

There are plenty of Safeways and Fred Meyer's all over Alaska, as well as Walmarts. Stop at the ones along the way. Your LAST available is Wasilla heading to Denali Park. You will pass right by all three.

We're going on our first AK trip in July, reverse of your itenerary. Here's some answers based on my general (not specific) knowledge:

3a. Rental car and chain hotel franchises make cars or rooms available to the national 800 number. They keep a pool for themselves. The allocation is adjusted based on how bookings are going. In this case you reserved a car directly from the Avis franchise and that's why national res will have no record. BTW, it's always worth calling a local francise directly if national reservations shows no availability.

4. I've been to Fred Meyer in the SEA area. Similar to WalMart, good one-stop shopping. Tip from a neighbor, buy insect repellent for Denali. Stores in AK will stock whatever works best on the native bugs!

Went to the one in Wasilla last summer and the prices were more than home, but not so much that I had to be revived!

Then don't go grocery shopping in Hawaii unless you call the paramedics first. :eek:

On your way to Denali you will pass as you go through Wasilla...Super Walmart on the left just inside the Wasilla city limits, then on the right, Fred Meyer (as someone else said, owned by Kroger), then Carrs (owned by Safeway). For Walmart, you have to exit the highway at "Seward Meridian" road. For the other two, the highway is not limited access and so easy to see and get to.

There's a Fred Meyer just as you get to Soldotna, and a Safeway (I think it's Safeway), a little further down. Last time I was there, Fred Meyer had a far superior selection.

I used to work for a major car rental company when I lived in Anchorage, so I can answer a little about your rental questions as most of the companies up there have similar policies.

It is good that you booked directly with the local office. No matter how busy they get, they usually give priority to the people who booked with them directly. Where I worked, the reservations also were not accessible through the national 800 number, but there is nothing to worry about. It was easier for us to make sure customers had the right rate when it was made locally.

Local reservations there don't usually require a deposit when you reserve, unless it's a large vehicle like an SUV or 15 passenger van. The summer is insane, and most companies overbook throughout June and July. Just make sure to show up exactly when you booked, and if you know you are going to be late at all, call as early as you can to let them know to change your time.

I am sorry for the long reply, but I hope this helps.

Archived