Waverunner Rental - best locations

schmenge

I was hoping to find a good place to let my wife and 6yo play on the beach while I rented a waverunner with my 12 yo. I was thinking at 7 mile beach, but I do not have any idea of where to go. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Although I wrote a negative review of my experience, this may work for you and your son if you are in better shape & follow the tips I give.

I did the Wave Runner tour that goes to Stingray City and Rum Point beach. It starts at a beautiful "resort" where your wife and 6 year old would feel very comfortable while waiting for you and your 12 year old.

If you are both in good shape and want to ride for about 2 hours and spend a short amount of time at 2 locations this is the tour for you!

I recommend:

1) booking the early 9:00 am tour

2) taking the excursion provided $5. shuttle to the resort from the ship

3) bring your 2 page confirmation as proof of your reservation

4) don't rely on your guides for much assistance getting on or off

5) bring cheap big sunglasses or goggles to protect your eyes

6) ask for snorkel equipment when you sign in (it's free, but you HAVE to ask for it and it was fun to have while at Stingray City.)

I think this tour would be good for you because the resort was practically empty, no crowd at all. Chairs and covered area right there on the beach for free. When you walk in you say, "We're here for the Stingray Tour" and they leave you alone to go out the back door to the beach. Otherwise I think you would need to pay to be there. The beaches were beautiful and there was a pool. Or they could go inside if it got too hot while you were gone. I wish I had had more time to just stay at the resort. I made several mistakes and spent my day looking for a taxi and also I was looking forward to more time at the destinations and LESS time on the wave runners. I also had thought I wanted time to shop in GC and it turned out to be VERY expensive and a huge waste of time!

For a guy & his 12 year old son... it just might be perfect! And I think your wife & six year old would like the resort... Just go early & make a day of it together.

Here's my other review and why it did NOT work for me...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=14380790&postcount=12

Either way, Have fun. Grand Caymen is beautiful!!!!

Weird how what did NOT work for me, might be just the thing for YOU. I am over 40 and my mother is over 70 and we were probably not in the best shape, plus made "rookie" errors.

Both the Royal Palms and Sea Grape sections of Seven Mile Beach have watersports rentals...I'm pretty sure they both rent waverunners. Check with Red Sail. They should have more info - they have a number of rental places around the island - http://www.redsailcayman.com/gc_index.html

A 12 yo boy is likely going to have a blast on the waverunners...it's a very fun, active, exciting way to enjoy the water. It's not a very sedate activity... :D

You won't have the same problems as the previous poster if you are just renting a waverunner for an hour or two of riding on your own. The PP was talking about being on a tour with a guide, over on the other side of the island. Along Seven Mile, you'll get on the waverunner closer to shore, likely where you can stand easily and just step on, and you'll be on your own so you'll set your own pace and choose your own destinations. It also doesn't tend to be as choppy over on that side of the island, although I would still recommend wearing a pair of sunglasses (with a strap or that float, just in case) to protect against sun glare and spray from the waves.

Archived