No smokers have cancelled on my cruise :(

drsb

Not that I care if they smoke, but with all the threads about people canceling due to the new smoking policy, I was hoping that a veranda would become available. They have been sold out since I booked. Mind you, I will be happy with my supersized oceanview 8007, but a balcony would be nice, if the price difference isn't too bad.

I've only had a balcony once and really enjoyed it. When we booked the lowest price veranda was $1000 pp more than the inside I decided on. (Since then I have upgraded to the OV).

How about others? Have any of you taken advantage of cabins that have become available? Are they giving good deals to rebook them yet?

I would really doubt that there are many people who base their vacation on smoking cigarettes and where they can and can't do so. Despite a couple of threads on here that have suggested there are people like that, I doubt it is widespread.

I wish you luck though and have great cruise!!!

don't forget also that Celebrity has publicly announced the change. But, to the best of my knowledge they have not actually sent any notification to the passengers already booked after Oct 1.

Here on the boards there is a wealth of information that never reaches the majority of cruisers. Many smokers with balconies may not find out about the restriction until they actually board.

Charlie

Here on the boards there is a wealth of information that never reaches the majority of cruisers. Many smokers with balconies may not find out about the restriction until they actually board.

Charlie

Charlie, I sure hope they do because we're going to see a lot of :mad: posts here come mid-October;)

Phil

Much sought after sky suite 6131 on Constellation November 10th sailing is now up for grabs.

And still deciding on what to do with our January cruise...

My DH made the decision for us.. we're off!:)

Were you able to get a refund? I know that is one of the problems you had with your bookings.

Charlie

Charlie, I sure hope they do because we're going to see a lot of :mad: posts here come mid-October;)

Phil

We cancelled ours too. I have emailed Celebrity to ask them what their plans are in terms of notifying people.

Phil

Hi Phil!

Friends, acquaintances, co-workers and customers of Dianne & I know how much we enjoy cruising and are often asking cruise related questions. We frequently refer them to Cruise Critic. However, most never even check in as a lurker.

I guess they'll just learn the hard way:rolleyes:

This just in from my travel agent. The new regs are "Proposed" only at this time. She will advise. So don't break out the champagne just yet.

Howndder

That is not what Celebrity is telling people and I spoke three different times three different people this since friday. They are printed in my cruise documents.

This just in from my travel agent. The new regs are "Proposed" only at this time. She will advise. So don't break out the champagne just yet.

Howndder

No, they were formally annouced via a press release a couple of days ago. Not "proposed" at all; they are 100% finalized. I would find a new TA if she is this badly misinformed. Celebrity even has it on their website already; just type "smoking" into search on their website and click the first link it pulls up. Also you can verify it by looking at the financial news on RCL stock.

Well apparently I am wrong! People DO base their vacations on smoking cigarettes. I used to smoke but never did I plan my vacations around it. It just goes to show that it is a terrible addiction.

Were you able to get a refund? I know that is one of the problems you had with your bookings.

Charlie

Charlie, no, we didnt get refunded, our TA though is paying admin fees to transfer to RCI. for cruise number one. Dont know yet what we wil do with our big big cruise..

I keep hoping prices will drop on verandas or that better rooms will open up on the sailings I have booked, but so far nothing.

I would expect more new bookings than cancellations.My TA expects a increase for X booking with the new ships and new policy

We are 8 couples that had wanted to sail on Solstice 1/24/09. 4 of the couples said no when I told them they couldn't smoke on the balcony, so we are now looking at HAL Oosterdam doing Mexican Riviera.

Perhaps I have been in a haze lately but I wasn't aware of the change in smoking policy on Celebrity until reading this thread.

All I can say is WOW!! :) :) :)

I just got back from Celebrity's website and read "For the comfort and enjoyment of our guests, our ships are designated as non-smoking...."

Bravo, Celebrity!

I have some cruise credits to spend, plus thousands more to go with those!

After cancelling last year's two back-to-back cruises on the Mercury to OZ/NZ due to smokiness, I am happy to report we'll be back on Celebrity very soon.

SusieV, DH & I are also looking at that Panama Canal next Feb. (but haven't booked it yet). No huge discounts yet.:( Guess we'll have to wait & see...

Usha, it would be great to meet you if you decide to book! We already got lucky roomwise (although not pricewise) with 8004, so I guess I won't mind too much if we don't get a veranda, but it would be nice!

I keep crossing my fingers for a price drop.

Charlie, no, we didnt get refunded, our TA though is paying admin fees to transfer to RCI. for cruise number one. Dont know yet what we wil do with our big big cruise..
Well, not as bad as it might have been. Sadly, any of you UK cruisers that forfeit any portion of your cruise will just be adding to the profits of the cruise line since they will only turn around and sell the cabins again.

Good Luck,

Charlie

Well apparently I am wrong! People DO base their vacations on smoking cigarettes. I used to smoke but never did I plan my vacations around it. It just goes to show that it is a terrible addiction.

I wouldn't say people "base" their vacations on smoking cigarettes, but people do like to do what they find relaxing when they are on vacation. If smoking is something I enjoy, and I'd like to enjoy a smoke before turning in for the evening, or while sipping my room service coffee in the morning, then that is something that makes my vacation all the more relaxing and I expect to be able to do it. If a cruise line is going to tell me I can't do those things, well ... I will just have to take my business elsewhere. There are plenty of cruise lines that still allow smoking in the cabins, so I will have to cruise one of those lines.

I've said this same thing on another thread. I have no problem with smoking being prohibited on balconies. I understand the plight of someone who booked a balcony and paid all that extra money, only to get onboard and find that they could not enjoy that balcony most of the time because there were smokers on all sides out there most of the day. But in my cabin is another matter. I don't feel my cigarette smoke is that intrusive as to wreck someone else's cruise and it should be no one's business if I prefer to indulge a bit during the little bit of time I am even in that cabin.

I think smokers have gotten the shaft all around. We've watched as areas we could formerly enjoy a cigarette in have gone totally smoke-free. We have lost our favorite gathering places around the ship because we could no longer smoke a cigarette in those areas. And now the cruise lines are trying to tell us that we can't even enjoy a cigarette in the privacy of our own cabin? ... A cabin we PAID for?

That, to me, is going just a bit too far, and yes, I would definitely cancel a cruise on any cruise line that took that final step in refusing me permission to smoke in the confines of my cabin. It's like telling me I can't even smoke in my own home ... which, after all, for my time on that ship that cabin is my home.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived