Excursions a must?

zeke11

I'm researching our next cruise and have questions regarding excursions.

We really enjoy just hanging out at a beach and doing things on our own. Are there any ports (Western Caribbean) that allow you to get to a beach by yourself or do we absolutely need to book an excursion to get to one?

Also, which cruise lines (besides Disney) offer a private island day? I think this is a great bonus.

Thanks -

Kris

Labadee is a private island stop with RCCI.Food provided by the ship.You can lay on the beach or do banana boats etc.Really loved Labadee when we were there in Feb while on the Navigator......just remember the sun is very strong there...very deceiving.

good luck

Liz

Just remember if you have to tender (which is free) to get back to the last tender in time. The ship will sail without you. there will be taxi right on the pier. Ask on Port of Call boards for best beaches to go to and how much cab is there and back.

Except for my very first cruise in 1987, I have never taken an excursion. I always go off on my own. Just do some homework before you leave home, get an idea of where you want to go, and grab a cab. On Cozumel, for instance, there are many beaches and parks you can go to on your own. MUCH less expensive doing your own thing than booking excursions!

Except for my very first cruise in 1987, I have never taken an excursion. I always go off on my own. Just do some homework before you leave home, get an idea of where you want to go, and grab a cab. On Cozumel, for instance, there are many beaches and parks you can go to on your own. MUCH less expensive doing your own thing than booking excursions!

We booked excursions in the past. They were fun and we learned a lot. Now we do everything on our own. Much cheaper. Use these boards. They are great for info on where to go how much to pay etc. We loved Trunk Bay on St John(St Thomas).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

On our first cruise, we did the ship's excursions at the ports. When we got to Cozemel, we decided to rent a jeep. We had so much fun. Watch for stop signs, etc. One was on a building, plus a narrow street. We nearly hit a man on a bike! That was scary. Plus, be sure to allow plenty of time to refill before you return the rental.

I agree w/most everything most of you have said. And we mostly do our own excursions. But there are some exceptions to the rule. It really does boil down to you should do your homework on these boards, read guidebooks at the bookstore or sites online and get INFORMED. In SOME ports that have only recently begun to get heavy amounts of ship traffic, CERTAIN types of excursions (mostly the ones done on water like diving, or scenic tours, sailing, etc.) can be difficult if not impossible to find right off the ship. Taxi type sightseeing tours are always the easiest to pick up that way. St. Lucia comes to mind here - at least we found it so 18 mos. ago. For instance, we tried to use Scuba St. Lucia (mentioned as tops in all the guidebooks) for a dive/snorkel excursion and they were leased out that day by RCCL ONLY. Wasting time looking for some dive outfit in Castries would not have been our idea of fun, so we were forced to book w/our (RCCL) ship! And sorry, Peterthegreat, although your tour is not very expensive and looks wonderful, other similar ship sponsored tours are not THAT much more, and some of them incl. lunch as well. I'm sure there is a smaller crowd on your boat but even that type of boat can seem crowded if too many are IN it!) If you do your homework in advance, and have a good idea of what you'd like to do, there are sites where you can book ahead independently. Often you will save this way. Sometimes a LOT. Sometimes not as much. Sometimes YOU may feel the weather is poor enough you do not want to go on the excursion that you may have deposited independently on, yet the tour person feels it's necessary to keep your deposit if you paid one. So make sure you know the ropes there. Additionally, if you are taking an independent diving trip, or a long over-land trip, be careful. (My husband has done a couple of good dive trips, and some not so good. I was even w/him on one I would NOT call safe at all and we nearly didn't get back to the ship in time. Had to get off at a beach hotel and catch a cab back or we NEVER would have made it! The boat was SO SLOW! Plus lots of unexpected things w/various levels of divers, etc. This was in Cozumel, too, where there are multitudes of dive cos.) Again, I'm not saying don't book your own. DO book your own. Just be sure to do a bit of homework first and know what you want to see in an area.

I highly recommend Holland America's private island, Half Moon Cay. It's beautiful. There is a buffet lunch provided and several bars are available near the beach. They have recreation excursions available, or you can just find a lounge chair on the beach. Can't wait to go back!

rccl has 2 private islands. if you're traveling on the eastern carib....it is coco cay. if you choose the western carib.....it is labadee. i joined cruise critic just before my last cruise and i learned a lot. for example, in cozumel (our favorite spot so far) we went to paradise beach on our own ( a $10.00 cab ride). it is the epitome of "paradise". we are going to the southern carib next dec. and are not taking ANY excursions at all. read the various posts and you can't go wrong.

Archived