Packing Query

ybarber

The Elemis products that Hal provides make it unnecessary to pack shampoo, conditioner, soap, or bath gel. IMO the products are wonderful, and your cabin steward will replenish as necessary. For some people (me) saving those few ounces is critical!

The Elemis were OK but found the hand lotion pretty watery and I need dandruff shampoo. I did use the shampoo once in awhile and it was good.

When you run out of the product in those small bottles, ask the room steward what signal he wants - throw in the trash or leave out on the sink surround.

MaryAnn

I have told this story many times before, but it may be new to the OP. I used to bring more shoes than Carter has pills.

MY DH is one of those men who loves to pack and he does it well. If I pack, he will repack so I no longer bother and leave it up to him. One cruise, a while back, he made the decision that I did not need all the intended shoes and so he did not pack them. He also failed to mention this tid bit to me.

Imagine my surprise when unpacking, on the ship, to learn the only shoes I had were the Teva flip flops, on my feet. I wear a size 11 and no way am I going to find shoes in my size while shopping in port. So yeah, I spent the cruise, including formal nights wearing flip-flops.

Anyway, this cured me of the need to bring more shoes than the number of days in the cruise.

I've been using the Space Bags, or another brand equivalent, for the last several cruises. I love 'em! They make it so much easier to keep my things organized, and unpacking is a breeze.

There's little worry of things getting lost if TSA decides to open the suitcase, since they can see in each bag, and will at most need to open one of them. Then they can toss them back in and close the suitcase.

Last Summer I did manage to get my one suitcase (hard-sided, btw) up to 51 lbs, but they let it slide. Coming home it was easy to transfer one little Zip-Lock bag to my carry-on---not overweight on the return leg! :D That was a 17-day cruise, too!

I don't need a vacuum to close the bag, but wouldn't hesitate to ask the steward if I did need to borrow his.

I was also spoiled with the Noordam sailing from NYC.

I plan on taking less toiletries, since we have them supplied on the ship. I have found leak proof bottles at some online travel companies.

I use Ziploc bags to pack clothing, and I sit on them to squeeze out the air.

I pack all my clothes in 1 or 2-gallon ziplocks because if my luggage is opened, I don't want anyone pawing thru my clothes. This also keeps them somewhat organized if the luggage is searched. Sometimes I'll pack 2 t-shirts in one bag. Another trick I learned was not to carry full bottles of stuff, but maybe 1/2 or 2/3 full and squeeze the bottle before closing so there is room for expansion. And of course, pack them in ziplocks. I also use the laundry onboard or wash out a few things in the sink. As was mentioned earlier--who is going to notice if you wear the same thing more than once.

So yeah, I spent the cruise, including formal nights wearing flip-flops.

Anyway, this cured me of the need to bring more shoes than the number of days in the cruise.

Oh, Hammy! I love that story. I laugh every time. :D

Maybe it's because my stupid feet are size 11 but wide-wide :eek:. (When I get to heaven, my first question is gonna be 'why did You turn under so much for feet???' I'm only 5 feet 5 inches or so!)

For that reason, I never board an airplane without at least one pair of shoes in my carry-on, and I usually have two or three. If I wear sneakers, I put in dress shoes and flip-flops. If I wear my dress shoes (which I often do because they are slip-ons), I carry on my sneakers and my flip-flops. I also put in a travel knit skirt and top suitable for the dining room and a SWIMSUIT. (I couldn't buy a swimsuit onboard or in any shops any more easily than I could shoes.) So at least if I'm parted from my luggage, I won't be completely bereft. However, it does mean my carry-on is about the largest you can have, and it's usually pretty heavy, but I'm willing to pay that price to be certain I have SHOES.

Our next cruise is 14-days long. I think I'm gonna tell my husband your 'rule'. He'll have a fit! Heh.

Robin

nother trick I learned was not to carry full bottles of stuff, but maybe 1/2 or 2/3 full and squeeze the bottle before closing so there is room for expansion.

Maybe we're just lucky living in a big city because we seem to be able to get just about anything in travel size. :)

Oh, Hammy! I love that story. I laugh every time. :D

Maybe it's because my stupid feet are size 11 but wide-wide :eek:. (When I get to heaven, my first question is gonna be 'why did You turn under so much for feet???' I'm only 5 feet 5 inches or so!) Robin

We compete for shoes with drag queens ( not that there is any thing wrong with drag queens) on eBay and at Nordstroms.:D

Archived