January or February best?

RockyTop2

First, I don't know the answer to your question.

So having disqualified myself as knowing anything, I offer some additional questions.

I am guessing that there is not a predictable difference in weather that should influence your decision.

There might be a difference in the ice pack & that could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the kind of ship you are on. (I liked lots of ice & we were on an appropriate ship for ice but we did have to alter the planned itinerary because of ice.)

There also might be a difference in the penguins. For example, in early December, the thrill was seeing them sit on their eggs & protect them. Later in December, the thrill was seeing the baby chicks. I would think a month's difference between Jan. & Feb. would have some impact on their activity & appearance but don't know what it is. I would also guess that the aroma of guano might become stronger as the season advances. (In early December, it was not a problem at all.)

I also predict that after the trip, you will believe you made a wise decision no matter which month you chose and you will have had a wonderful experience.

First, I don't know the answer to your question.

So having disqualified myself as knowing anything, I offer some additional questions.

I am guessing that there is not a predictable difference in weather that should influence your decision.

There might be a difference in the ice pack & that could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the kind of ship you are on. (I liked lots of ice & we were on an appropriate ship for ice but we did have to alter the planned itinerary because of ice.)

There also might be a difference in the penguins. For example, in early December, the thrill was seeing them sit on their eggs & protect them. Later in December, the thrill was seeing the baby chicks. I would think a month's difference between Jan. & Feb. would have some impact on their activity & appearance but don't know what it is. I would also guess that the aroma of guano might become stronger as the season advances. (In early December, it was not a problem at all.)

I also predict that after the trip, you will believe you made a wise decision no matter which month you chose and you will have had a wonderful experience.

Very good points. In doing some more research I did learn that January would be better to see the chicks, But February, you would see more whales. Having been lucky to have already seen many whales, I think I would like to see the chicks more. But, you are so right, any month would be a good month to visit.

About ready to book, but would like advice as to whether mid January or mid February would be the best time to go. Also, would appreciate your insight as to why one month is better than the other.

Hi there,

The difference between Jan and Feb is in the developmental stages of the chicks. Those that are in colonies closer to the edge of the Peninsula in Jan are larger as they have hatched earlier, those on the mainland will still be quite small. In Feb, they should be moulting and look a little strange as they get their adult feathers and more closely resemble their parents.

The weather is an hour to hour proposition in that area. I have been in Jan, one day of clear blue sky out of 7. The previous week - 7 days of clear skies!

Cheers

Hi there,

The difference between Jan and Feb is in the developmental stages of the chicks. Those that are in colonies closer to the edge of the Peninsula in Jan are larger as they have hatched earlier, those on the mainland will still be quite small. In Feb, they should be moulting and look a little strange as they get their adult feathers and more closely resemble their parents.

The weather is an hour to hour proposition in that area. I have been in Jan, one day of clear blue sky out of 7. The previous week - 7 days of clear skies!

Cheers

Thanks for posting your pictures.......fabulous photography.

We went at the beginning of January (were in the peninsula area around the middle of the month) - had fabulous weather with the exception of a couple of times throughout the 20-day voyage, but as noted by others - I wouldn't go by what we experienced - the weather can change in the blink of an eye (as we found out at Port Lockroy). Rather, the determining factor should be what you want to see ... penguins sitting on eggs, chicks hatching, young chicks, older chicks, whales, etc. Keep in mind also that "generally" earlier in the season, the landscape will probably look more pristine - not as much melt as later in the season

We did the itinerary that included the Falklands and South Georgia - and depending on where we were, we had chicks in all stages, the guano was not at all overwhelming at any of the sites. Saw plenty of whales - both from the ship and from the zodiac.

Photos are available from - the "Favorites" gallery is a compilation of the entire trip.

We went at the beginning of January (were in the peninsula area around the middle of the month) - had fabulous weather with the exception of a couple of times throughout the 20-day voyage, but as noted by others - I wouldn't go by what we experienced - the weather can change in the blink of an eye (as we found out at Port Lockroy). Rather, the determining factor should be what you want to see ... penguins sitting on eggs, chicks hatching, young chicks, older chicks, whales, etc. Keep in mind also that "generally" earlier in the season, the landscape will probably look more pristine - not as much melt as later in the season

We did the itinerary that included the Falklands and South Georgia - and depending on where we were, we had chicks in all stages, the guano was not at all overwhelming at any of the sites. Saw plenty of whales - both from the ship and from the zodiac.

Photos are available from - the "Favorites" gallery is a compilation of the entire trip.

Great information and amazing photos!!! Thank you so much for posting them.

We did a February trip on the Star Princess, and although our weather was pefect and our antarctic cruising was amazing beyond belief, from reading the rollcall boards, I believe the January cruise saw more penguins. Also, there is a significant difference in the length of day. The January people wrote that it was light until midnight, and our day was a couple of hours shorter. If I were to go again, I would choose January.

Ellie

• 1 month later...

Archived