Tips for First Timers

OhioTraveling

Best tips I received as a new cruiser: 1. Take a small sewing kit. Always had to mend or fix something, 2. Place everything in a notebook, that way everything is in one spot. I start one as soon as we book a cruise. It is divided into sections including confirmation, recervations, insurance, ship info, port info, and documents that we may need. Alos, extra paper to write stuff down when we think about it of what we need to do or check into. 3. Know that not every thing will go perfect or as planned. 4. (most imprtant 0ne) Enjoy, relax, and have fun.

sross6019 You are SO right about that! We learned it the HARD way on our very first cruise--we took almost everything we read about here on these boards and wound up with 13 suitcases!!! That is no lie! Naturally,this made unpacking and then re-packing the last night of the cruise a total nightmare!!!

Well... I had duct tape in every color just in case you wanted to hem a dress or wrap a suitcase--we never used ANY!) I never wore half the shoes I took (one pair of sneakers, one pair of flip flops, one pair of sandals and one pair of COMFORTABLE dress shoes is ALL you need.) We never used the bungee cords but our friends made them into a clothesline on their balcony for drying their bathing suits (very tacky, I know, but they don't dry very well in the bathroom and they blow off the balcony if you don't clip them somewhere). We were glad we took a bottle of hand sanitizer (we did NOT want to be confined to our cabin by the doctor for even one minute!) We found the power cord handy because there was never an outlet right where we needed one (we brought along our laptop to email home and download photos from three digital cameras that also needed charging each night). We NEVER get seasick but even we were really glad we brought some ginger candies on several occasions and handed them out to our friends on a daily basis (waves can be a little rough leaving New York in October!) Finally, I'm really glad we bought our own snorkel/fins so we could snorkel any island anywhere at a moment's notice. Also, don't worry one more minute about wrinkles--everyone wears wrinkles on a cruise ship and no one cares about it at all (it's cruise magic again!)

Now we follow the simple rule: Bring half the clothes and twice the money (especially small bills for tipping starting right at the pier!)

And here are the two greatest tips we ever learned:

1--take a picture of an index card with your name, address and phone number on it so it will be on your camera's chip if you lose it (nothing worse than losing all your vacation photos before you even get to see them!)

2--pack one whole complete outfit (shorts, shirt, underwear, jewelry etc) in a TWO-gallon Ziploc bag (get them from Walmart or www.drugstore.com). Someone I know even LABELS the baggies with the day she wants to wear the outfit!!! Just grab one baggie on the way to the shower--voila!--ready to go in 5 minutes! This sounds a bit compulsive but I knew instantly the first time I tried it that it was truly a GENIUS idea--no time wasted looking for stuff when you could be dancing!

But most important of all...Enjoy...Relax...Have Fun!

Good news folks,

I didn't burn down the ship, and here's what is really funny----NCL saw the iron upon check-in and had ZERO problem with it. They spent 20 minutes about cigs. I asked cabin attend. and he said 50% of people bring irons or steamers---

Waterbaby, even though I had hangers a curling iron and an iron still had a rockin good time. Spent 17 hours a day having a blast with crew and new friends.

Well, I'm so happy you had a good time. And as I don't plan on ever sailing NCL, you just go ahead and continue to pack your iron.

I continue to cut back on what I take, and I still returned home on Saturday with clothing I didn't wear. There wasn't a single thing that we needed and didn't have.

Just a few tips that help a lot.

1.) Take an iron (they don't have them and they are priceless) They frown upon it of course, so back it well and when not in use put in suitcase. I am very careful with mine for good reason.

Where did you find the fireproof suitcase ???

Good to know you use countdown clocks so I can check on your sailings before I book one ..

Sigh why aren't rules for everyone .. not just some ??

Good news folks,

I didn't burn down the ship, and here's what is really funny----NCL saw the iron upon check-in and had ZERO problem with it. They spent 20 minutes about cigs. I asked cabin attend. and he said 50% of people bring irons or steamers---

Waterbaby, even though I had hangers a curling iron and an iron still had a rockin good time. Spent 17 hours a day having a blast with crew and new friends.

And this poster is proud of this.. Gee, they put an entire ship at risk just so THEY could break the rules... What good, seasoned travelers they are..

For you newbies, DO NOT BRING YOUR IRON!!

For this poster, You have your cruises listed in your count down clocks.. Good thing too, as I am not booked on any of your cruises..

Also keep in mind that the cruise lines DO read these boards.. You will be caught one of these times, and I will not feel badly when you are on the dock waving as YOUR ship sails away without you...

Wise up, rules are in place for EVERYONES safety..

To the poster who once packed 13 suitcases... WOW!

To the OP about the Iron: no, no, no, no, no. Please don't put me and precious DD at risk, thank you.

Yes, I do bring a short power cord because I do bring a night light and, invariably, the one outlet has the "big side and little side" of the plug going in the wrong direction and the nightlight won't fit. Other than that, each cruise we go on we bring less and less.

Yes, to the female poster on the shoes: one pair of tennis shoes to wear onboard, one pair of comfy walking shoes or sandals, one pair of flip flops, one pair of dressy. It can be done.

We are doing 13 days this fall with carry-ons only. Yes, we will use the laundry services, but that's a small price to pay for not lugging 50# of luggage internationally, on planes, trains & automobiles... (well, kind of..)

I totally agree with every statement that says: take 2x the money and 1/2 the clothes. You can always get the clothes laundered.

And this poster is proud of this.. Gee, they put an entire ship at risk just so THEY could break the rules... What good, seasoned travelers they are..

For you newbies, DO NOT BRING YOUR IRON!!

For this poster, You have your cruises listed in your count down clocks.. Good thing too, as I am not booked on any of your cruises..

Also keep in mind that the cruise lines DO read these boards.. You will be caught one of these times, and I will not feel badly when you are on the dock waving as YOUR ship sails away without you...

Wise up, rules are in place for EVERYONES safety..

I actually would rather make sure I never sail with YOU! Your posts are offensive and rude. Now I remember why I never get on these boards anymore, people like you. I was looking for information to pass along to a co-worker going on his first cruise and his honeymoon, and all I found was nastyness. Thanks a lot.

I actually would rather make sure I never sail with YOU! Your posts are offensive and rude. Now I remember why I never get on these boards anymore, people like you. I was looking for information to pass along to a co-worker going on his first cruise and his honeymoon, and all I found was nastyness. Thanks a lot.

I don't find any of the previous posts "offensive and rude". It's a fact that personal irons are not allowed on (most) cruise ships. If someone insists on bringing one they should be ready to have it confiscated until the end of their cruise. If it's not confiscated, I just hope that they are very careful. It's not just the danger of the heated iron, but also the draw on the electrical system that poses a danger.

Most ships now have passenger laundries where irons are available, or reasonably priced pressing services.

I'll never understand why someone can spend thousands of dollars on a cruise, but balk at spending $25.00 to have their clothes pressed :eek: .

I don't iron at home, so I'm sure as heck not going to iron on a ship LOL

Ditto! I pick formal dresses that don't wrinkle beyond what a quick hanging in a steamy bathroom won't fix (e.g., one great cruise dress), and I have the cleaners fold my husband's dress shirts for easy packing.

Apart from that, to address the OP's main topic, I think the best advice I ever got was to read the daily schedule that's in the cabin at embarkation, to check out the options.

Other than that, there are a few embarkation tips that I think make the process go smoother. Definitely tip the luggage porter well, and don't put your passport in the bag that you're checking. If you do the latter, you REALLY better do the former. (This actually happened to a member of my family. *sigh* Fortunately, we found the porter, and he found the truck with our bag.)

FWIW, I did a quick check on Travel Irons. I saw 100 watt through about 800 watts...

100 Watt: http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp10229-0083.html

400 Watt: http://cgi.ebay.com/Grossag-Travel-Iron-110%2F220V-400-Watt_W0QQitemZ110261581383QQcmdZViewItem?IMSfp=TL0806132280r22255

700 Watt: http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(4brakw45ggopc4ipdazyafya)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=6020655

800 Watt: http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.V26411.tab.video.CM_SCID.COLL

Hair Dryers look to run at 1800 watts or so:

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/family/hair-dryers/review.html

http://www.christinecolumbus.com/products.asp?pID=1354

Here is a Travel Curling Iron that comes in at a whopping 2000 watts:

http://www.ballbeauty.com/x5_dual_voltage_travel_curling_iron.htm

So I am not travel guru, but it seems to me that the argument that irons put too much draw on ships systems... but hair dryers are curling irons are OK... is a bit disingenuous to say the least. Honestly, a ship that could not handle 800 watts is not a ship I would want to be on- iron or no iron.

Curling irons get left on, too, and get just as hot. So getting all uptight about irons and not about these other devices may be giving you a false sense of security. If you are one of the big anti-iron people, I hope you are not hypocritical and do not make use of these other dangerous devices on a ship.

Just my two cents.

>>> I don't iron at home, so I'm sure as heck not going to iron on a ship LOL

Same here. No iron, curling iron OR hair dryer. Just my iPhone.

Wow, this thread has been most helpful. What did I learn most? DO NOT BRING AN IRON! lol

I am so excited for my first cruise. I'm already packing in my head because I do not want to overpack, however, let me ask you all. How many suitcases do you all bring? I bought a Kenneth Cole set at a REALLY great price for 3 pieces. Well, the 29" IMO is going to be just TOO big. So, that leaves the rolling garment bag and the smaller suitcase. I think it's a carryon on wheels (well, it's like 21" I think). Would those 2 be too much to take? I plan on packing my own bottle water to bring aboard because I don't drink sodas or alcohol. I would love to just have the 29" and maybe a small shoulder strap bag. Maybe I should go to Southwest and take my suitcase and just ask them.

Thanks for any suggestions. I may be stressing a little too much.

Erica

Wow, this thread has been most helpful. What did I learn most? DO NOT BRING AN IRON! lol

I am so excited for my first cruise. I'm already packing in my head because I do not want to overpack, however, let me ask you all. How many suitcases do you all bring? I bought a Kenneth Cole set at a REALLY great price for 3 pieces. Well, the 29" IMO is going to be just TOO big. So, that leaves the rolling garment bag and the smaller suitcase. I think it's a carryon on wheels (well, it's like 21" I think). Would those 2 be too much to take? I plan on packing my own bottle water to bring aboard because I don't drink sodas or alcohol. I would love to just have the 29" and maybe a small shoulder strap bag. Maybe I should go to Southwest and take my suitcase and just ask them.

Thanks for any suggestions. I may be stressing a little too much.

Erica

The 29" checked bag will be fine as far as size. It's the weight you need to worry about. As long as it's not over 50 lbs. you're okay for a checked bag. I'm down to a 26" checked bag and a wheeled carry on backpack if we're flying.

If you really want to bring your own water that's fine, but it's really not necessary. The ship's water is purer and better tasting than your tap water at home. We just bring a water bottle and refill it as needed.

A couple of tips I'd give 1st timers:

1. Pack your suitcase with everything you thing you need, then take 1/2 of the clothing out, and eliminate several pairs of shoes. I can get by now with 1 pair of water shoes, 1 pair of dressy shoes and 1 pair of comfortable walking shoes or sandals.

2. The over-the-door shoe thingy is great for some people, not for others. For me, it has saved my marriage! I got tired of my husband asking me where things were. Now he knows to just go look in "the pockets." And amazingly enough, he also puts things BACK INTO the pockets. Astonishing! Now I'm not the only one keeping the cabin clean!

3. Buy yourself a expanding file with a clasp (you know the kind with 5 or 6 separate compartments in it) and use it for all of your documents, passports, and port information, and keep it in your carry-on. That way you'll have everything and know where it all is. I start mine as soon as I book my cruise, and I include things in it for each port whether or not I actually have that activity booked. That way, if I need a "Plan B" I have one.

The 29" checked bag will be fine as far as size. It's the weight you need to worry about. As long as it's not over 50 lbs. you're okay for a checked bag. I'm down to a 26" checked bag and a wheeled carry on backpack if we're flying.

If you really want to bring your own water that's fine, but it's really not necessary. The ship's water is purer and better tasting than your tap water at home. We just bring a water bottle and refill it as needed.

Thanks for the tip. Bringing my own bottle will save lots of space.

1.) Take an iron (they don't have them and they are priceless) They frown upon it of course, so back it well and when not in use put in suitcase.

Let me guess -- you also are the one holding up muster. Because the rules obviously do not apply to you.

1.) Take an iron (they don't have them and they are priceless) They frown upon it of course, so back it well and when not in use put in suitcase. I am very careful with mine for good reason.

2.) Take a 6 foot extension cord. Sometimes I like to get ready in bathroom when hubby and son asleep. Can't plug in anything but razor in bathroom, so I use my 6 ft extension and plug it in and stretch to bathroom.

3.) Take soda if you don't like Coke products, usually flat on most ships.

4.) My favorite tip, when you pack leave EVERYTHING on hangers. When your bags arrive unzip pull out and hang-up, done unpacking in 4-5 minutes.

SS Doric 1976

Holland America 1995

RCCL 1996

Orient 1996

Princess 1997

Disney 1997

RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas 1998

RCCL Legend of the Seas 1998

RCCL Vision of the Seas 1999

Carnival 1999

RCCL Monarch of the Seas 2000

Carnival 2000

Holland America 2001

RCCL Monarch of the Seas 2001

Holland America 2002

NCL Sun 2002

RCCL Voyager of the Seas 2003

NCL 2006

NCL Star 2006

RCCL Explorer of the Seas 2007

NCL Majesty 2007

RCCL Enchantment of the Seas 2008

NCL Spirit May 3 2008

NCL DREAM Sept 2008*

NCL Jewel June 3 2009*

There have been so many posts on here about irons - I agree with you and I will always bring my iron. I'm always careful, use a low temp. put a towel on the chair and ALWAYS unplug it. Common sense if you ask me. Why pay high prices to have something ironed? Not too many ships have laundry rooms (Carnival and Princess do but I'm not sure about others). The travel irons are small and can easily be packed. Just do what you feel and keep it concealed!

Laurie

There have been so many posts on here about irons - I agree with you and I will always bring my iron. I'm always careful, use a low temp. put a towel on the chair and ALWAYS unplug it. Common sense if you ask me. Why pay high prices to have something ironed? Not too many ships have laundry rooms (Carnival and Princess do but I'm not sure about others). The travel irons are small and can easily be packed. Just do what you feel and keep it concealed!

Laurie

Wow..... It's hard to know where to start with you.

Is it OK for other people to decide which rules they can break? For example, do you think it's OK to disregard the dining room dress code? No? And yet it's OK to endanger an entire shipful of people. You have an interesting set of ethics.

Just a little piece of advice: If you have to "conceal" what you're doing -- in anything -- you shouldn't be doing it, and there's a good reason why.

First-timers: DISREGARD those who think it's no big deal to smuggle irons onto a cruiseship. It's dangerous.

Wow..... It's hard to know where to start with you.

Is it OK for other people to decide which rules they can break? For example, do you think it's OK to disregard the dining room dress code? No? And yet it's OK to endanger an entire shipful of people. You have an interesting set of ethics.

Just a little piece of advice: If you have to "conceal" what you're doing -- in anything -- you shouldn't be doing it, and there's a good reason why.

First-timers: DISREGARD those who think it's no big deal to smuggle irons onto a cruiseship. It's dangerous.

I so agree!

Everyone, think about this: do you really think that ships prohibit certain things (irons, candles, heating pads, etc.) just because they "feel like it"? There are reasons for these things not being allowed on board and, before someone brings it up, IMHO, I don't think it's because they can charge for pressing your clothes :rolleyes: . Many ships have laundries where you can use the irons safely and for free.

3. Buy yourself a expanding file with a clasp (you know the kind with 5 or 6 separate compartments in it) and use it for all of your documents, passports, and port information, and keep it in your carry-on. That way you'll have everything and know where it all is.

I love this idea! I took a large envelope with all that type of stuff in it, but I like the different compartment idea. I used paperclips to separate things, but I do like this better; I think I'd be able to find each separate section quicker. I'll remember this for next time (hopefully there will be a next time!).

In December, I took a lot of things that were recommended on these boards that I hadn't thought to take in the past. I'd sailed 5 times prior to discovering Cruise Critic. Know what? Didn't use most of them, including the power strip.

Seriously, do people haul so many electronics that they must plug in a half-dozen things every day?

Used the phone as an alarm and "nightlight" to see how to get to the bathroom. Didn't have to plug it in to recharge until the last day at sea. I certainly didn't need to use it to make calls.

DD and I each recharged our cameras on different nights.

If I had to take a laptop, a DVD player, music devices, playstation, etc., I think I'd just stay home! I can't find the time to do all the things I want to do on the ship or in ports. I sure as heck am not going to spend my time in the cabin playing video games or watching movies, or on the internet.

This time, the stupid power strips stays home!

Less is more! :D

You take your crap and I will take mine,ok! Some cruise cabins don't have an electrical plug in the bathrooms and some hairdryers are worthless. I bring a 12 ft cord and a power strip. They weigh less then two pounds I use them for my own hair dryer,charge my camera batteries, charge my electric razor. I usually go on cruises that are 10 days or more. I carry four batteries for my camera but I might take 200 pictures a day. Someday you will learn that everybody is different from you. You arn't the norm, because there is no norm.

Archived