TROLLS??This is your excuse for being mean?

mitchpam

I do not understand why people have to be so mean. A lady getting ready for her first cruise comes to CC with a question... and suddenly she finds herself all beat up because someone thinks she is a troll. I had never even heard of such a thing, but from what I can understand it is someone who tries to sully the name of Carnival...

I guess my question is this... why respond if you think this person is a troll? Carnivals reputation does not need people like you to represent them by being rude. Just simply do not answer. If it becomes clear and obvious that they are complaining for no reason other than to "smear" Carnival, than other people will get it too... but to be mean and rude right off the bat is just wrong if you ask me...

I agree. There are certainly people on these boards who obviosly think they run the internet and because they do that makes them right. OBVIOUSLY THEY ARE NOT! What we need to do is click on the little triangles with the "!" in it when these ignorant, self serving posters start acting up and belittling new posters for asking questions and accusing everyone of being trolls. just click on the button and you'll be guided in the rest. Eventually the mods will have to kick them off for being jerks!

Blame it on Trolls !!!

Every night without fail, a troll comes and starts a "I Hate Carnival because" thread. Everyone piles on it till it get deleted.

So maybe someone is a legit new person and their first post is "I Hate Carnival because" what would you think? Exactly! just another Troll post.

Like it or not it is the way this forum is....

I would imagine the thread you are talking about had something to do with either fuel surcharge refund, formal night attire, or smuggling alcohol and soda/water on board. These seem to be the most attacked threads I have seen. I agree. If you have an opinion, state it. Don't belittle someone just because their opinion does not match your own. If everyone had the same opinion there would only be mint chocolate chip ice cream. See. I bet you said a completely different flavor of ice cream just then. Everyone has their own opinion. Just because it doesn't match your own doesn't make it wrong. JMHO.

I agree. There are certainly people on these boards who obviosly think they run the internet and because they do that makes them right. OBVIOUSLY THEY ARE NOT! What we need to do is click on the little triangles with the "!" in it when these ignorant, self serving posters start acting up and belittling new posters for asking questions and accusing everyone of being trolls. just click on the button and you'll be guided in the rest. Eventually the mods will have to kick them off for being jerks!

Triangles must only be used to report a post that is in violation of the guidelines, not your sensibilities. Otherwise you are being self serving and and acting like you run the net.

Unfortunately you cannot kick someone off for giving their opinion. That is what keeps the whole website going.... everyone's opinions. We may not like the way they are doing it but they have just as much right to voice their opinion, no matter how rude they are.

I would imagine the thread you are talking about had something to do with either fuel surcharge refund, formal night attire, or smuggling alcohol and soda/water on board. These seem to be the most attacked threads I have seen. I agree. If you have an opinion, state it. Don't belittle someone just because their opinion does not match your own. If everyone had the same opinion there would only be mint chocolate chip ice cream. See. I bet you said a completely different flavor of ice cream just then. Everyone has their own opinion. Just because it doesn't match your own doesn't make it wrong. JMHO.

No, it was the lady upset because she thought her flight times were too late to make the ship.

Unfortunately you cannot kick someone off for giving their opinion. That is what keeps the whole website going.... everyone's opinions. We may not like the way they are doing it but they have just as much right to voice their opinion, no matter how rude they are.

Over the years many have been banned from the site..some multiple times :D

What I was referring to in my OP was a post called "leaving this Saturday.... and FREAKING out" I am not sure how to link you to that post, but she was new to the boards. She was basically trashed by a few people and now has now intentions of using CC again.

While I understand that people are entitle to their opinions and that this is a sight just for that purpose, it should not give license for being mean. why jump to the worse case scenario and start calling names? I just don't get it that's all...

What I was referring to in my OP was a post called "leaving this Saturday.... and FREAKING out" I am not sure how to link you to that post, but she was new to the boards. She was basically trashed by a few people and now has now intentions of using CC again.

While I understand that people are entitle to their opinions and that this is a sight just for that purpose, it should not give license for being mean. why jump to the worse case scenario and start calling names? I just don't get it that's all...

I agree 100%. It also makes you afraid to start a new thread if you are new and have seen the many rude comments. Don't abuse the red triangle as overuse and abuse will get it ignored for appropriate uses. The way I see it, if someone posts a question, it is something they feel is important enough for others to comment on. But yes, there are those who like to get arguments started. I have left several threads because of this. It is uncalled for.

I call it "keyboard courage" Many of the mean posters are probably mousy in person. They would never think of saying this stuff in person..Yet online they feel that they can say anything to anyone.

Many also just like to stir the pot and keep things going.

As a rule I skip threads that I figure will get overly opinionated, in a negative way. For the most part all the views and points have been made over and over again, so its like watching a re-run for me.

I didn't see the post but there was obviously more to it than that. I can't see anyone getting upset about someones flight times.. But the bottom line is, there are people who go to chat rooms and bulletin boards like this and purposely post something inflammatory/made up, just for cheap thrills. Those are called trolls. They're usually easy to spot because they are new members, will only have 1 or 2 posts to their name, and you will never hear from them again. After you've been around any chat community for a while, you will recognize them yourself and not think that we're all just mean jerks. Then there is another group of people who come on and post true events, bad things that happenned and try to blame Carnival or anyone but themselves, for something that was clearly their own fault, or could not have been avoided or prevented by anyone, looking for sympathy, or for someone here to back them up. They come here and their first comment is about lawsuits. I have no sympathy for them either. If that makes me a mean guy, so be it..

I agree 100%. It also makes you afraid to start a new thread if you are new and have seen the many rude comments. Don't abuse the red triangle as overuse and abuse will get it ignored for appropriate uses. The way I see it, if someone posts a question, it is something they feel is important enough for others to comment on. But yes, there are those who like to get arguments started. I have left several threads because of this. It is uncalled for.

I think it should be noted that 90%+ of posters are nice and are willing to answer any question, regardless of how many times it asked.

Yes, there are a small minority that are rude, many want attention. If people ignored the rude people they would stop and go play somewhere else.

I'm with you OP -- it bothers me too. It's either what you said, or the "Morality Police" bashing that occurs any time someone asks a controversial question (even if asking in good faith).

People just have to make themselves feel higher and mightier than everyone else, and it extends to these boards. I've personally been bashed a number of times (especially on the RCI board) for calling out the "Morality Police" when they go into their high and mighty routine, but such is life. :rolleyes:

Was it this thread:confused:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=758535

I just read the post and many must have been deleted as only one post was negative and there was no post stating the OP would not be back. It seemed she was too nervous or worked up to get the info out that was needed to help her.

Anyway this did not seem like a troll post but even if it was, there was not harm from the OP and nothing really against Carnival.

Trolls are everywhere, not just on the Carnival page and not just on CC, it is a shame.

Archived