Mattress Comfort on Princess Ships

cyberfilly

We find the beds fine and have never asked for a topper. :eek:

We're also elite and one time only we asked for an egg crate--suite on the Island Princess--why then--who knows??????

It seems that this talk goes around about the mattress--the one everyone seems to panic over the whole thing seems to get carried away- This is just another hotel---we have two homes--one has a 22" mattess--that's great for me--but harder than he@@ to get into--have a good enough one in the other house--when other people use our bed in the vacation house--some complain that it's not HARD enough--Go figure -- I like both a whole lot.

I think what makes Princess beds okay with me is the SOFT pillows !!!

Nancy

I think it all depends on the ship you sail. We sailed the Crown first and had wonderful mattresses as they had the upgraded bedding.

I just sailed the Dawn and the mattress was awful - no upgraded bedding yet. Even with a foam eggcrate the mattress was hard as a rock.

If you have back problems, make sure you sail on a ship that has had the bedding upgraded.

Our Princess mattresses have run the spectrum from horrible to wonderful. I do think the new mattresses are very hard, which I love and my back needs. But even if your mattress isn't quite right, you can ask to have it changed out, and it can be done. On our last cruise I had to ask 2 or maybe 3 times, but by the third morning of the cruise, when I was bent over like a question mark, our cabin steward got the idea and a new mattress was in place when we returned to the cabin.

In my experience, any ship that is not a new ship has mattresses in all sorts of conditions, so you never really know if there will be an issue until you board.

If the beds were really comfortable, I'm sure Princess would be selling them and people would be raving about them like HAL's beds, Carnival beds, Westin beds, but if you like sleeping on a rock and a caved in one at that, or if you have lots of nightcaps to go to sleep instantly you will love Princess beds.

We are going on the Crown Saturday and will see how her beds are compared to the CB and the Diamond. I already faxed off a request for a eggcrate topper. I know once on the CB they are out of the toppers even though we requested in advance and as soon as we got there so the steward had to put lots of blankets under the sheet to make it better and my sister then saw just how bed those beds are.

Again, just our own personal experience and opinions.

We are going on the Crown Saturday and will see how her beds are compared to the CB and the Diamond. I already faxed off a request for a eggcrate topper. I know once on the CB they are out of the toppers even though we requested in advance and as soon as we got there so the steward had to put lots of blankets under the sheet to make it better and my sister then saw just how bed those beds are.

Again, just our own personal experience and opinions.

We loved the bedding on the Crown. The bed on that ship was more comfortable than my bed at home.

On the Emerald a few weeks ago my mattress was lumpy and hard the first night. I left a note for our wonderful cabin attendant and he must have gotten me a new mattress, since the second one was much better.

I did think that the single beds were too narrow, however, and when I was on HAL last year, the single bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in.

We like Princess but dislike their beds. It was one of the reasons we decided to try HAL this past Feb. And what a difference it was,...like day and night. Princess folks should speak to their cousins at HAL and find out where they source their mattresses.

We like Princess but dislike their beds. It was one of the reasons we decided to try HAL this past Feb. And what a difference it was,...like day and night. Princess folks should speak to their cousins at HAL and find out where they source their mattresses.

We came very close to cruising HAL for our next cruise, for this vary reason. (and who knows, we still might fit one in) I know, sounds silly after all these Princess cruises, but we are growing very tired of the terrible beds and would love to sleep on a great bed while on vacation. But I wanted the itineary Princess was offering. Next time, it just might be on HAL.

We loved the bedding on the Crown. The bed on that ship was more comfortable than my bed at home.

Thanks for letting me know that. I surely hope so. I had to laugh at my post - I think I need to start proofreading better when I am in a hurry since I said "bed" instead of "bad". Geezo....

We are trying HAL for our next trip to Alaska next year and then I will be able to experience their wonderful mattresses and linens that folks are so pleased with.

I've only had one bed so far on Princess that I thought was real good, and that was the suite on the Royal. No way that mattress is the same as what's in the other ships (I don't know how the other mattresses are on that ship either). The other mattresses have been ok at best, the one on the Grand was pretty bad. All but the Royals were far more firm than I'd like.

I was really exicited to book our first Princess cruise.... until I started reading all the negative feedback about the mattresses! Can't do a firm, hard mattress. My MIL has a very firm mattress on the guest bed in her house. After one horrible night's sleep on it, my back is killing me. Can't imagine a week on one! Sorry Princess, I'm sticking with Disney!

Keep the comments coming about your dislike of the mattresses. Maybe someone from Princess will read this thread and make some changes.

Keep the comments coming about your dislike of the mattresses. Maybe someone from Princess will read this thread and make some changes.

That is one of the problems. The change it to the FIRMER mattresses. The old ones were lumpy and soft, but I preferred them to the new firm ones that they replaced them with. I wouldn't be looking for them to change tens of thousands of mattresses out again anytime soon.

As others have said, bed comfort is very subjective. Read these boards for a while and you'll be amazed at some of the reasons people give when they say "I'll never book on Princess again because....". So, don't necessarily take everything you read at face value.

Having said that, I've tried the beds both with and without the eggcrate, and I have to admit that I prefer them with the eggcrate - it really makes a difference. Honestly, however, I have never lost a night's sleep on a Princess cruise because of the bed, either with or without the eggcrate.

HAL does have the best beds. From my limited experience princess beds are OK. But I like everything else about Princess much more so I can live with a lower quality bed.

Archived