Wait or Pay in Full Now

I've booked a cruise on Carnival for Oct 08. I was wondering if I should pay in full now or wait and see if the price goes down. If I pay in full now and the price does goes down, will I get a refund or on-board credit?

Wait, wait, wait! There is absolutely no advantage that I can think of if you pay in full. Watch your cruise for any price drops until your final payment. My experience has been that you need to check this as any price adjustments you may be eligible for are not automatically applied, you or your TA have to ask for them.

Sometimes price drops are special promotions that only apply to new bookings and you won't be eligible for them.

i think there are benefits to both. if you are traveling with a large party and need certain types of cabins and are traveling during peak times, then booking ahead is best. we booked far ahead on carnival and i watched pricing. when it dropped, i called them and asked for the new rate. they would not give it to me. they just upgraded our cabin, which didn't really help financially.

i think there are benefits to both. if you are traveling with a large party and need certain types of cabins and are traveling during peak times, then booking ahead is best. we booked far ahead on carnival and i watched pricing. when it dropped, i called them and asked for the new rate. they would not give it to me. they just upgraded our cabin, which didn't really help financially.

The OP has booked already. The question is should they pay the full payment or just the downpayment. Downpayment is enough to secure all the rooms you want. If the rate drops, you are entitiled to that difference on most every line. I would not have accepted just a room upgrade if you didn't want that. Unless it was after the final payment was made and very close to sail date?

I've booked a cruise on Carnival for Oct 08. I was wondering if I should pay in full now or wait and see if the price goes down. If I pay in full now and the price does goes down, will I get a refund or on-board credit?

I have received refunds to my credit card because the price when down after I paid in full. So that should not be an issue.

I usually pay in full when it is to my advantage to do so. Many times my credit card offers double points. When it does, I pay off the cruise. Even if I lose interest on my money for one full year, what does that really cost me? Interest rates are not that high right now. Plus I have to pay taxes on that interest. The extra points are free.

Don't pay in full until you've take out travel insurance!

Why do you suggest that.....:confused: Only reason I could think of is in case you think you might cancel.

Problem is you must buy the insurance at (near) booking time to be covered for pre-existing conditions (that includes family members you may need to leave the cruise to get home to in case of accident or illness).

Why do you suggest that.....:confused: Only reason I could think of is in case you think you might cancel.

Problem is you must buy the insurance at (near) booking time to be covered for pre-existing conditions (that includes family members you may need to leave the cruise to get home to in case of accident or illness).

This is one issue that must be decided on a case by case basis. If there is a pre-existing condition that you are concerned about, then yes, you need to buy the insurance when you book the cruise.

However, if there is no pre-existing condition, then you only need the insurance when there is a risk of losing money. This does not occur until final payment is due, since you can cancel prior to that time without any penalty.

Thank you for everyones replies. I really don't have any reason to pay early. My DH and I are taking his parents on their 50th Anniversary. The kids are all chipping in to pay but we have the extra money now to cover and was wondering if she just pay or wait. Thanks for all the good advice.

Archived