Fuel surcharge fee going UP!

It was announced today by RCI that their fuel suppliment surcharge will go up to $8 per person for the first 2 guests in a room and add a $3 charge for the 3rd and 4th guests etc. This takes place May 1st, 2008!

cor_backarrow_ico.gifBack to Press Center

cor_pressrelease_hdr.gif

s.gif

s.gif

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Revises Fuel Supplement

MIAMI - April 22, 2008 - In its ongoing efforts to deal with record fuel prices, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. today announced an increase in the fuel supplement it charges guests.

For first and second guests in a stateroom, the revised fuel supplement will be $8 (U.S.D.) per-person, per-day, and no more than $112 (U.S.D.) per-person, per-cruise. Additional guests in a stateroom will be charged $3 (U.S.D.) per-person, per day, and no more than $42 (U.S.D.) per-person, per-cruise.

The revised fuel supplement will apply to bookings made throughout the world on or after May 1, 2008, onboard three Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. brands: Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Cruises.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is a global cruise vacation company that operates Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Pullmantur, Azamara Cruises and CDF Croisières de France. The company has a combined total of 38 ships in service and six under construction. It also offers cruisetour vacations in Alaska, Asia, Australia, Canada, Europe, Latin and South America and New Zealand.

My first cruise was in Oct, 1974. Just a few weeks before we were to leave on a Chandris ship (forerunner of X) we were assessed a $135 per person fuel surcharge for a 13 night cruise. At least now the cruiselines give you some warning before you book.

Since we are discussing fuel charges here - I'm wondering -those of you that booked prior to the NOV 16 date - and have not yet cruised or paid off your cruise - have you received a credit back on your account for the fuel charges: My cruise isn't until Sept - and the fuel charges are still showing.

I thought they had decided to abandon the fuel charge? If I have an upcoming cruise that was booked in May of 2007, will I be charged anthing?

RCL did not abandon the FS. RCL decided to rebate the FS for cruises booked before 11/16/07 where a FS was paid. From then to 5/1/08 the FS is $5 p/p p/d, and on or after 5/1/08 the FS goes to $8 p/p p/d, $3 3rd and 4th p p/d.

You should be fine.

The refund of the fuel surcharge for our February 10th cruise was just processed. While it seems ridiculous that it should take so much longer to process a credit than it does to process a charge, at least the procedure, slow as it is, seems to be working. :) It also took RCI far less time to agree to the refund than it did Carnival which, only last week, finally capitulated to the Florida AG.

It is difficult to find much fault with their recent announcement of an increase in the fuel surcharge. Yesterday our local gas station raised its price by six cents since last week and another four cents this week. Any comparison of fuel price changes in the past year makes the fuel surcharge seem puny in comparison. It certainly isn't nice, but it does appear inevitable.:rolleyes:

I thought they had decided to abandon the fuel charge? If I have an upcoming cruise that was booked in May of 2007, will I be charged anthing?

All cruises booked before the first fuel surcharge announcement date, Nov.16/07, don't have to pay it and it is being taken off if on billing or being credited as OBC if cruise was paid in full after that date. It was also refunded to the credit cards of those who had already cruised when RC announced this change last month. There has been problems with RC's computer system putting removed fuel surcharge back on so if that has happened to you contact them to have it removed.

I am glad I booked today my cruise and paid the max of $70. I assume that my price should not be increased since I booked it before the change was implemented.

I just booked today too and was hoping that was the case as to be just $70.

Archived