Suggestions for 55++++ single cruiser

pattigay

I just turned 57. I've been cruising the last few years with Seabourn Cruise Lines. I'm very active (like to scuba dive), so the three previous cruises on Seabourn's ships have been to the Caribbean. I like Seabourn for several reasons as a solo lady traveler: they have generous single supplements (if you book far ahead, you usually can find a 125% supplement), their cabins are gorgeous, they treat you like a Duchess and the other passengers are very friendly. Best of all, you'll get a printed invitation on your door, every single evening, to a table in the dining room hosted by an officer or entertainer, etc.

In my opinion, this sort of service just can't be beat. I've looked into other luxury cruises, but have always come back to Seabourn for these reasons!

Jane

I'm a 58 yr. widow and I took my first solo cruise last March and had a blast. I was on RCI and had late traditional seating. I was seated with 3 other singles and we hit it off and had a lot of fun together. Funny thing is we were seated at a table for 8 and only we 4 showed up after the first night so we had excellent service.

I'm taking adult kids to Alaska this summer but I'm planning a solo in October and again in March.

One thing I believe all cruise lines do is have a get together for singles the first or second night.

Enjoy cruising solo.

I only wish there were a site to find others to cruise with to help with the dreaded single supplement! If anyone knows of a site, please let me know.

Hello

There is a site for singles: singles-cruises.com They are located in Tampa, FL. Their phone # is on there website. I am about to take my 10th cruise, Explorer of the Seas, RCL, out of Cape Liberty, NJ, 8/28/08. I also have cruised solo, never a problem with: flying, transfers, breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the dining room, etc. I have found that whenever and however you travel: it is what you make it, leave with enough time to spare, and be prepared for some inconveniences. I have not had any of these problems, everyone you meet on the ship is great and I always have a great time!!! I am not much for the bar scene though.

I am looking into Carnival out of NY, (I take 2 cruises a year) even though I have always cruised with Royal Caribbean, but prices have gone up, up and up, which is why I am lookking into Carnival. From what I understand, they have an inside cabin with bunk beds. That would not bother me as I am not in the room much, up at 6AM every day.

Good Luck

Marie, NJ

If you wish to email separately, feel free to: mem775416@aol.com

Hello

There is a site for singles: singles-cruises.com They are located in Tampa, FL. Their phone # is on there website. I am about to take my 10th cruise, Explorer of the Seas, RCL, out of Cape Liberty, NJ, 8/28/08. I also have cruised solo, never a problem with: flying, transfers, breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the dining room, etc. I have found that whenever and however you travel: it is what you make it, leave with enough time to spare, and be prepared for some inconveniences. I have not had any of these problems, everyone you meet on the ship is great and I always have a great time!!! I am not much for the bar scene though.

I am looking into Carnival out of NY, (I take 2 cruises a year) even though I have always cruised with Royal Caribbean, but prices have gone up, up and up, which is why I am lookking into Carnival. From what I understand, they have an inside cabin with bunk beds. That would not bother me as I am not in the room much, up at 6AM every day.

Good Luck

Marie, NJ

If you wish to email separately, feel free to: mem775416@aol.com

Hi Marie,

Come join our roll call for the 8/28 sailing. I am not traveling solo this cruise, but have gone solo a few times and always found it to be a pleasurable trip. You are so right, it is what you make of it. People are friendly, I have never felt lonely or alone. And I am not much for the bar scene either, but I do enjoy a drink now and then. :D

Thanks for the single cruises link, but all I saw were Carnival cruises. Do you know if they have Royal Caribbean cruises available too?

Annieeee

Hi' date=' Marie. Where are you heading on the Explorer? I did Canada/New England on the Explorer Aug 30th last year and LOVED it. The ports were awesome.[/quote']

Hello,

Going on Explorer 8/28/08. Ports: Halifax, Quebec, Saguney River (not sure on the spelling), etc. Leaving work the day before cruise.

Just received my documents the other day. It always seems more real when you get your documents.

Regards,

Marie

Hi Marie,

Come join our roll call for the 8/28 sailing. I am not traveling solo this cruise, but have gone solo a few times and always found it to be a pleasurable trip. You are so right, it is what you make of it. People are friendly, I have never felt lonely or alone. And I am not much for the bar scene either, but I do enjoy a drink now and then. :D

Thanks for the single cruises link, but all I saw were Carnival cruises. Do you know if they have Royal Caribbean cruises available too?

Annieeee

Annieeee,

Thank you and I am enrolled in Roll Call for 8/28/08 sailing. A drink now and then, no problem!!!

I will be on deck 12, I think it is the Starlight Room?? to see ship pass under Verranzano Bridge. It is quite a site as I was on this ship 3/27/08.

Marie

Hello,

Going on Explorer 8/28/08. Ports: Halifax, Quebec, Saguney River (not sure on the spelling), etc. Leaving work the day before cruise.

Just received my documents the other day. It always seems more real when you get your documents.

Regards,

Marie

Sounds like the same cruise I was on last August. I hope you are luckier than I was in seeing whales. The weather was too hot (very odd) so we didn't see any. Fabulous time though all around. It was the 1st time The Explorer had docked in New London and we were treated like royalty! Marching bands and the whole nine yards.

I was the original poster on this thread and have been away from it for a few weeks. Today I read all the replies and found some wonderful information to work from. Agree with you all about the single supplement and will look into those lines that you say don't do the full 200% upcharge. I do like a balcony cabin though so may just have to "suck it up." Will probably do my first from my home port here in Seattle. Again, thanks for keeping up this thread for me.

I Have Enjoyed Solo Cruises On Carnival-southern Caribbean And Princess - Panama Canal. None Of My Friends Or Family Like Cruises So I Go Solo. I Have Met Some Great Folks And Can Have Quiet Time Or Mingle. I Now Would Love To Go On A River Cruise And Have Been Reading The Threads For Information. I Am A Little Overwhelmed By All The Choices So I Would Like Some Help If Any Of You Have Experienced These Cruises. I Have No Idea How Expensive They Are For A Solo???? Thank You Solo's For All Your Suport.:)

Have you considered going solo on a river cruise? It's more expensive for a solo than on some mass market ocean cruise lines. But if cost doesn't deter you then it might be a good alternative. I've been on several river cruises and there has always been a single woman (or more than one) aboard. The small size of the ship and small number of passengers make it very easy for a single person to meet others and feel welcome. On river cruises you really get to know the other passengers and make friends. You wouldn't feel alone or lonely, for sure.

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY. I THINK A RIVER CRUISE WOULD BE GREAT BECAUSE YOU ARE ABLE TO GO TO REMOTE PLACES THAT THE BIG SHIPS CAN'T GET INTO, HOWEVER COST IS AN ISSUE AND I HAVE NOT EXPLORED HOW MUCH THEY ARE. MAYBE AT THIS TIME I WILL HAVE TO GO WITH CARNIVAL OR HOLLAND - ANY SUGGETIONS????:confused:

• 3 weeks later...
I've done one solo cruise with Crystal and have another one booked and I found Crystal to be very solo friendly. I believe the supplement is just 125% for the C cabins on the Serenity and and C,D and E on the Symphony.

I have never cruised on Crystal but thanks to these last couple posts will definitely look at their itineraries. Their single supplement sounds like it is one

of the best and they certainly have a good reputation. Thanks again.

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO ON CRYSTAL. I AM STILL TRYING TO DECIDE ON WHEN, WHERE AND WHAT CRUISE LINE SO YOU CAN TELL I AM OVERWHELMED WITH ALL THE POSSIBILITIES. I HAVE HEARD GOOD THINGS ABOUT CRYSTAL AND THE FRIENDLY SOLO IS CERTAINLY A PLUS. I WANTED TO DO A RIVER CRUISE BUT IT IS VERY EXPENSIVE.:mad: KEEP ME POSTED. THANKS.:)

I just became a widow in March and have done one cruise with another widow since then. I will be doing my first solo on RCL Explorer Sept.27 out of Boston to New England. This will be my 32 cruise so you know how much I enjoy them! It certainly is different without your best friend along, but life goes on and I live each day for what it brings me. This thread will be very helpful to me. I never thought about Crystal but now will look into it.

Rosemary

Rosemary, I Hope You Have A Wonderful Cruise In Sept. You Certainly Have Been On A Lot Of Cruises And I Am Sure Have Valuable Information To Share. I Would Love To Go To The Dalmation Coast In Europe Or To Asia. The River Cruises Sound Very Enticing. Do You Know Anything About Grand Circle??? I Do Not Think I Want A Transatlantic Cruise Because I Enjoy The Ports. Being A Solo Cruiser Seems Only To Be A Problem Fnancially. Best Wishes.:)

I am researching transatlantic cruises for my first solo cruise. I am a 62-year old single woman and am surprise to read recommendations for Carnival. I always thought that line of FUN SHIPS was geared to the younger set. I'd be interested in hearing more from mature singles who have traveled on Carnival.

I am researching transatlantic cruises for my first solo cruise. I am a 62-year old single woman and am surprise to read recommendations for Carnival. I always thought that line of FUN SHIPS was geared to the younger set. I'd be interested in hearing more from mature singles who have traveled on Carnival.

I took my first Carnival cruise last November and had a wonderful time. There is a wide age-range of passengers on Carnival, just like every other line. I'm going back on Carnival next November.

I Am Also A Senior Solo Cruiser. I Have Been On Two Cruises - One On Crown Princess To Panama Canal And One On Carnival Destiny To Southern Caribbeans. Princess Was Stuffy, Mostly All Couples. However The Carnival Was Mixed With Lots Of Music Everywhere And Was A Fun Trip. I Go When The Students Are In School. I Like The Intersting Ports So I Am Not Looking For Transatlantic At This Time. I Am Planning To Take A 7 Day Cruise In Sept. I Don't Know Where Yet. The Service And Staff On Carnival Was Great. Don't Rule Them Out.:) Also, The Seven Day Or Longer Cruises Tend To Have Older People On Board.

I agree - Carnival has more of an age mix and I have enjoyed the Carnival cruises I have been on although I wasn't alone on them. Do not take them during vacations-particularly Spring Break!

Rosemary

Rosemary, I Hope You Have A Wonderful Cruise In Sept. You Certainly Have Been On A Lot Of Cruises And I Am Sure Have Valuable Information To Share. I Would Love To Go To The Dalmation Coast In Europe Or To Asia. The River Cruises Sound Very Enticing. Do You Know Anything About Grand Circle??? I Do Not Think I Want A Transatlantic Cruise Because I Enjoy The Ports. Being A Solo Cruiser Seems Only To Be A Problem Fnancially. Best Wishes.:)

Haven't been to Dalmation Coast or Asia, but I, too, think they look great. Greece and the Baltic are two wonderful cruise locations for Europe. I have friends who have done Grand Circle River cruises and enjoyed them. I could never talk my husband into the river cruises; his theory was that we had actually been to most of the places visited on the tours which was true and he felt it might be boring in the evening. I think he was wrong on the latter. I do think they are rather expensive. These single supplements are nasty!!!

Rosemary

I checked out the river cruises too and agree, the single supplement is way too high. River cruises are nice but the small ship is sometimes confining. Thank you for the suggestions about Carnival for single, older women travelers. I will see what Carnival has to offer for transatlantic cruising.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sometimes we just do not know what life will bring us, but go ahead, you will do just fine. The idea that you want to go, is enough right there. i have cruises many times in a group, but solos, and love every moniute of it. Enjoy the time. Carolyn

55+ and recently widowed.....I'm just starting to look for a cruise to be my first solo.....I want to be sure I am on a ship with assigned seating for dinner.....saw a 40+ singles cruise on Solstice in January 2009, does anyone know if that ship has assigned dinner seating?

Also, would appreciate any tips or info to help give me the courage to take my first solo cruise.......

Judy, I am a new member searching for info. I am going on my first solo cruise 10/11/08 from Philadelphia. I live in Elkton, MD which is very close to the Delaware line, I guess I am 60 miles to Phila and 60 miles to BWI. I am retired (56 yr old) but my husband has not. I would like to cruise more often. We try to do two a year. If you want to partner sometime I would too. I live close enough that we could meet up prior for sharing more personality info.

Archived