Suggestions for 55++++ single cruiser

pattigay

I think a widow's and widower's cruise would be wonderful. You would have plenty of people to take excursions with and to have dinner with

each night. I have been a widow for 8 years. I have cruised with

another lady that is a widow also a couple of times.

Sometimes on the singles cruises there are just too many younger people

for me.

Kay

Marie,

I think you will like Princess. I've gone on Crown Princess twice out of Brooklyn. I agree with you -I've never been on a cruise that I didn't enjoy. Some I liked better than others of course, but life is what you make it.

I was kidding about the Widow Cruise. Just wish it was cheaper to go single. I usually end up with someone going along for the ride, but that sure doen't make it cheaper for me. My kids and grands aren't complaining though!

Rosemary

Hello Rosemary,

I am sure your kids and grands are not complaining when they go with you!! I think we have exchanged conversation via Internet before a few months ago.

I saw a "tip" a while back on CC and may consider cruising with another line next April out of Manhattan. The solo price, the way it needs to be booked, is considerably cheaper.

Come on May 24!!!!!!!!!:D:)

Keep in touch,

Regards,

NewJersey222

Marie

mem775416@aol.com

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Rosemary,

I am sure your kids and grands are not complaining when they go with you!! I think we have exchanged conversation via Internet before a few months ago.

I saw a "tip" a while back on CC and may consider cruising with another line next April out of Manhattan. The solo price, the way it needs to be booked, is considerably cheaper.

Come on May 24!!!!!!!!!:D:)

Keep in touch,

Regards,

NewJersey222

Marie

mem775416@aol.com

Marie - The only line I really would say tostay away from as a single person alone is Norwegian. :eek: With their Anytime Dining, you will end up by yourself. Even when my daughter and I went in March, it was basically the two of us. When you make reservations for all the specialty restaurants, it will be for just you. I hate to eat alone.:mad:

Rosemary

Rosemary,

My sister (also single like me) took her only solo cruise on Norwegian, and had the same experience. For both of us, we like the social aspect of cruising, including sharing meals with others and getting to know them. She felt that the type of person who favors Norwegian tends to want to stay with own family or group of friends. It's their perogative, of course, just not conducive to a good experience for solos who want company.

Roz

Hi Fellow Solo Cruisers!

I agree......I enjoyed all the specialty restaurants on Norwegian while I was sailing with others, but solo I would not ever sail or choose "free-style" dining. I do fine all day solo, participating in activities, trivia, etc. but do enjoy the lively conversation at a larger traditional dining room table.

Maybe we can all sail together sometime! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ladies may want to consider contacting JUGS - "Just Us Girls", a group of women over 40 who love to cruise. If you want a share to save some money over the single supplement, you can do that. If not, you can get your own cabin. You are free to do activities or excursions with others, or by yourself, but at dinner you will always have a group of friends. I believe the website is http://just-us-girls.org

Jeana

I'm a widowed lady and sailed alone on Nowegian on B2B to Europe and was on board almot 5 weeks. I liked freestyle. The hostess would ask me if I wanted to share a table and I would share with a different group every night. I met some very interesting people from all over the world. :)

Ladies may want to consider contacting JUGS - "Just Us Girls", a group of women over 40 who love to cruise. If you want a share to save some money over the single supplement, you can do that. If not, you can get your own cabin. You are free to do activities or excursions with others, or by yourself, but at dinner you will always have a group of friends. I believe the website is http://just-us-girls.org

Jeana

Thanks, for the site. It looks interesting.

I booked a week in Disney for September so unfortunately I can't join you......how about Explorer of the Seas Nov 12th out of NJ? :) I'm already booked for my 2nd solo!!!

I'm booked out of Miami for Thanksgiving with my daughters and their families. We were suppose to go on the Explorer but they switched the itinerary to the Bahamas instead of Caribbean :(and we really didn't want to do that. Between me and other friends, they lost at least 9 cabins. RCL lost and Carnival's gain!:rolleyes:

Rosemary:cool:

Jeana

I sent an email and after looking at the info think I will join. Sounds like a good idea.:) Thanks for the info.

Rosemary:D

Jeana......thanks for the info.......I joined already.... :)

Rosemary, I'm not wild about my Nov 12th itinerary either, but it is a "member's cruise" and I've never sailed on one before, so I thought I'd give it a try.........

• 1 month later...
I was the original poster on this thread and it has been wonderful to see all the 55+ solo cruisers out there. When I originally posted I knew that my DH was terminally ill and didn't have very long to live. I also knew that cruising would be a wonderful way to pick up my life again after four+ years of caregiving because I had missed it so much. Your posts have given me courage to get on with cruising and I can't thank you enough. I'm still debating about my first solo - but it will definitely be in the first part of 2009. Thanks again!

Hi Pattigay-- I see you are from Seattle, I am from Gig Harbor. My cruises have now included my family, have yet to go solo since being widowed.I am RN so the caregiver, also. However, I like balcony and the space of not sharing but if other person had an inside across from me would be nice. Hopefully a single supplement cost less than double is a plus. I did Carnival at Christmas wtih my family--- ship too big and LOTS of kids , of course. Taking HAL Zaandam to Alaska with same part of my family, mostly to have the CA grandchildren learn a bit about wildlife. I have been on Westerdam for Alaska before. Many cruises with spouse. Met folks on cruise boards going on same ship and then met aboard for drinks and some good times.I am not certain if I can post an e-mail address on here,-- my first post.

JOyXmas1.jpg.c66ef87aaa69441de9a9a6ec9fc4eb31.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I've almost always cruised solo and I've loved the experience on all of the ships I've been on. I don't think it will matter. I've never had a problem on any ship. Don't discount Carnival. Their 1A's are a terrific bargain for a solo and there's a full range of ages on their longer cruises. I've found when pricing cruises that the single supplement can vary greatly within a cruiseline by date and cabin type so shop around.

I just hate going alone, but sometimes you have to right? Glad to see that there are choices one can make

Looks like my solo days are about over. I should qualify that to say going on a cruise where I know absolutely no one. If I have friends going, then I will certainly try to go. I turn 73 in a week, and all these years of obesity, etc., are catching up with me. I don't think I can schlep luggage by myself anymore and flying cross country or overseas is more than my body can handle. But it was fun while it lasted. If I can come up with the money, I want to go the end of August with friends to Alaska, but that's a big "if" any more. Retirement, especially forced, ain't what it's cut out to be. I have just cancelled 2 cruises - one to the Caribbean and one to the Far East as I know I couldn't handle getting to the ships or doing the tours once I was on board.

Enjoy while you can.

I'm seriously considering the Carnival 9/6/09 out of Baltimore. Any one else interested?

Rosemary

Hmmmm, sounds like it could be fun but my brother and I are already booked on the Carnival Splendor for the November 29th sailing. And I bet there won't be any single ladies on the ship either. Lol!

• 3 weeks later...
I just turned 57. I've been cruising the last few years with Seabourn Cruise Lines. I'm very active (like to scuba dive), so the three previous cruises on Seabourn's ships have been to the Caribbean. I like Seabourn for several reasons as a solo lady traveler: they have generous single supplements (if you book far ahead, you usually can find a 125% supplement), their cabins are gorgeous, they treat you like a Duchess and the other passengers are very friendly. Best of all, you'll get a printed invitation on your door, every single evening, to a table in the dining room hosted by an officer or entertainer, etc.

In my opinion, this sort of service just can't be beat. I've looked into other luxury cruises, but have always come back to Seabourn for these reasons!

Jane

Hi Jane,

I see you are online. Hope you are still connected to this board.

I will be going solo in March. DH doesn't want to cruise anymore.

Is Seabourn all you do?

Jeana

Thanks Jeana on the website.

Anyone going on the Nov 30 RCL Radiance that is listed on the above website? My husband and I will be on this.

Hi All,

I'm 50 and am leaving for my 6th (?) cruise on Thurs. solo on RCL. I enjoy having the freedom to do what I want and to hang out with anyone I meet. I went on one cruise alone with NCL and won't go on that line again. Although I enjoyed the cruise itself, you don't meet people since you're not at an assigned table. And the host in the dining room always seemed annoyed that I was alone, and had to put me at a table, usually alone. I ended up eating at the buffet some nights, but did very much enjoy a steak dinner at the steakhouse. I've been on Carnival and RCL solo, and enjoyed both. Have always met nice people that included me in. I also went with a singles group once, and that was very nice too. Met some people that I am still in touch with. Life's too short to wait for someone who can go with you when you want to go, so I just go!!

Theresa

Hello 55+ Solo Cruisers, I'm 58 going on my second solo cruise. Cruised to Alaska Aug 2008 on HAL. What a great ship. I was so apprehensive, The ship hosted a Solo get together and a Solo Lunch. I got to meet wonderful people. I did experience a down period one night , which I stayed in my room, however the next day I got back into the game and quite OK.

I have to say I felt I wasn't ready to do it again for awhile, needless to say I've book another sailing for Oct 09 to the Bahamas.

My first experience with help me this time , and I wont let being single and "old" get in the way. I love this cruising thing!!!

Archived