Suggestions for 55++++ single cruiser

pattigay

Judy, I am a new member searching for info. I am going on my first solo cruise 10/11/08 from Philadelphia. I live in Elkton, MD which is very close to the Delaware line, I guess I am 60 miles to Phila and 60 miles to BWI. I am retired (56 yr old) but my husband has not. I would like to cruise more often. We try to do two a year. If you want to partner sometime I would too. I live close enough that we could meet up prior for sharing more personality info.

I took my first Carnival cruise last November and had a wonderful time. There is a wide age-range of passengers on Carnival, just like every other line. I'm going back on Carnival next November.

Judy, I am a new member searching for info. I am going on my first solo cruise 10/11/08 from Philadelphia. I live in Elkton, MD which is very close to the Delaware line, I guess I am 60 miles to Phila and 60 miles to BWI. I am retired (56 yr old) but my husband has not. I would like to cruise more often. We try to do two a year. If you want to partner sometime I would too. I live close enough that we could meet up prior for sharing more personality info.

I took my first Carnival cruise last November and had a wonderful time. There is a wide age-range of passengers on Carnival, just like every other line. I'm going back on Carnival next November.

I was the original poster on this thread and it has been wonderful to see all the 55+ solo cruisers out there. When I originally posted I knew that my DH was terminally ill and didn't have very long to live. I also knew that cruising would be a wonderful way to pick up my life again after four+ years of caregiving because I had missed it so much. Your posts have given me courage to get on with cruising and I can't thank you enough. I'm still debating about my first solo - but it will definitely be in the first part of 2009. Thanks again!

Thanks For Your Kind Message. So Sorry For The Lose Of Your Dh. I Am Sure After A Long Period Of Being A Caregiver You Are Ready For A Solo Cruise. I Am Also Trying To Decide Where To Go 2009. Am Seriously Thinking Of A Transatlantic Cruise To Europe And One That Leaves Out Of Ft. Lauderdale So I Don't Have To Do A 8 0r 9 Hour Flight Both Ways. Whereever You Decide To Go Or On Which Ship It Will Be Restful And Healing For You. :) Keep Us Posted.

Hi.

I am a 72-year old lady who cruises solo most of the time. I have been on RCCL, Princess, NCL, Cunard, HAL, etc., and have had some good and some not so good experiences on several of the ships. I cruise for the destinations as I want to see as many places as I can while I can. I check the cruise for the price for a solo cruiser and don't worry if it is double or what as long it is what I want and I can afford it.

I have really enjoyed the anytime dining as I can eat when and where I want. I usually find a really good waiter and ask for him/her when I come into the dining areas. Sometimes, I am paired up with some people who don't care to talk, and sometimes you meet the most interesting people. I have had assigned dining but usually end up at a table with people who are not fun to be with - and to have to sit with them through the whole cruise isn't always comfortable.

I have found that if you are as nice as you can be to the staff, they generally reciprocate in kind. I have rarely had a problem with any of them and, on HAL, they are trained to learn your name the first day and remember it through the cruise. They have been fabulous and have really gone out of their way to help me.

I have about six more cruises planned in the next two years - only way for an older single lady to travel. I usually make friends on tours and on the CC boards before I sail so I never feel totally alone.

Bon voyage.

IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE REALLY ENJOYED CRUISING. YOUR MESSAGE WAS MUCH APPRECIATED. I WILL BE 70 IN APRIL AND WOULD LIKE TO TAKE A SPECIAL SOLO CRUISE AS NOONE IN MY FAMILY, OR FRIENDS LIKE CRUISES. I DO AS YOU SAY AND TRY TO BE AS KIND AS I CAN AND IT WORKS WITH THE STAFF BUT NOT ALWAYS WITH THE PASSENGERS. I HAVE BEEN ON DISNEY WITH GRANDCHILDREN AND DAUGHTER, CARNIVAL LEGEND TO THE SOUTHERN CARIBBEANS, CROWN PRINCESS TO PANAMA CANAL. I LIKED CARNIVAL BETTER THAN PRINCESS AS IT WAS MOSTLY COUPLES AND I DID NOT FIND PRINCESS SOLO FRIENDLY. WHICH CRUISE SHIP DID YOU FEEL THE MOST COMFORTBLE AS A SOLO??? I WOULD LOVE TO GO TO ASIA, EUROPE BUT BY WAY OF FLORIDA SO I DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE THE BRUTAL AIR FLIGHT BOTH WAYS. AS OF NOW, THE U.S. DOLLAR IS NOT WORTH MUCH ABROAD. MAYBE THAT WILL CHANGE.:) :confused:

Hi.

I agree that some passengers are not always very nice. I think they think because they paid a lot of money, they are entitled to be snooty or whatever. I try to meet people on the CC message boards before I sail, and that way there are always a few people I've e-mailed around to talk to once in a while or go to a meet and greet. I also try to take the tours off the ship and get to meet people that way. But I don't expect to meet many friendly people so am never disappointed.

I am quite heavy and am pre-diabetic so I have to watch what I eat - that's going to be a challenge as I love the desserts. And I don't move well. I always take a cd player and a couple books so when I get bored, I can go into my cabin and entertain myself. When I went on Princess last year, I had met a few people on line so I had a buddy to take a couple tours with and that was really nice. But, other than one upcoming cruise, that person won't be coming on any other cruises.

I loved the crew on HAL. Waiters, room stewards, etc., were always so friendly and would take my tray to my table in the buffet, or give me a hug if they ran into me on the deck, and gave me what I felt was special service in the dining room. Plus the beds were wonderful. I'm doing Carnival for the first time in June, plus 3 back-to-back in Europe in August thru the first of October. Now to pay for all this.

Take care.

• 2 weeks later...

I did not read every page so if this is a repeat info, my apologies. I am a widow and have not travelled alone, however for those who are interested, I have a friend who has travelled with www.wayfaringwomen.com . You can find them on Yahoo and they plan all kinds of trips, all women and appears to be quite fun.

They started out like this thread, a bunch of women looking for travel companions and it turned into quite a thing. While I am booked for November 08 and August of next year, I am always looking to meet new travel mates. If anyone would like to be in touch, either to be pen pals or to discuss travel, feel free to e mail me at traveler723@aol.com.

I am researching transatlantic cruises for my first solo cruise. I am a 62-year old single woman and am surprise to read recommendations for Carnival. I always thought that line of FUN SHIPS was geared to the younger set. I'd be interested in hearing more from mature singles who have traveled on Carnival.

As I've mentioned on other threads, I used to be a Carnival snob. I looked down on them and anyone who went on them. Then, about 3 years ago, I was forced to join my daughter's in-laws on a Carnival cruise. It was fabulous. The food and entertainment were far superior to RCL. The ship may not be as pretty, but who cares. We had a blast. Do not hesitate.

I've almost always cruised solo and I've loved the experience on all of the ships I've been on. I don't think it will matter. I've never had a problem on any ship. Don't discount Carnival. Their 1A's are a terrific bargain for a solo and there's a full range of ages on their longer cruises. I've found when pricing cruises that the single supplement can vary greatly within a cruiseline by date and cabin type so shop around.

my first solo '55 plus age' cruise was on the carnival spirit to alaska and it was wonderful. besides the cruise to glacier bay and the inside passage it was a perfect ship and experience for me. others included me in their activities and carnival made sure i had plenty of things to do that interacted me with other singles. since then i have been on the same cruise again and i will always have a soft spot for the carnival spirit and its crew, ship and itinery. i hope everything goes well and you have a wonderful cruise.

Its been a while since I have visited cruisecritic boards. This will be my first solo. Booked on the Ecstasy Jan 19th for a short 5 day get away. By then I will need some warm sunshine on a sunny beach. It seems there a lot of us that cruise solo. I am looking forward to the experience. Of course it would be great to belong to a group who could travel together...maybe someday that will happen. I am a 62 year old widow who took early retirement to travel. Got bored with not enough to do, so went back to work part time. That's my travel money. Nice to meet you!

hi audrey and welcome back. it sounds like you are a busy lady. dont be afraid to cruise solo. others are so wonderful to include you in things going on and there are activities for singles on the ship. check out the roll call for your ship here on cc and you will find many others going at the same time as you. start chatting with them and you will have friends before you even board the ship. have a great time and let us now all about it when you get back.

I was the original poster on this thread and it has been wonderful to see all the 55+ solo cruisers out there. When I originally posted I knew that my DH was terminally ill and didn't have very long to live. I also knew that cruising would be a wonderful way to pick up my life again after four+ years of caregiving because I had missed it so much. Your posts have given me courage to get on with cruising and I can't thank you enough. I'm still debating about my first solo - but it will definitely be in the first part of 2009. Thanks again!

I am in my 60's and single. I have been on one cruise ('98 Veendam), and will take my second in February 09 (Solstice). I would certainly be taking more if I didn't have to pay the single supliment :(. I'm like someone else who said friends and family aren't interested or not available for what ever reason. On my first cruise I signed up for HAL's "share program", and that went quite well. For the Solstice cruise I do have my best friend sharing...this will be her 1st cruise :rolleyes:. Only time will tell when I will schedule another cruise (translation: as SOON as I can afford it!!).

I'm posting this to let you know if you're looking for a cruise early in '09...consider the Feb.8th Solstice!!! There will be a great group on board...and we would welcome you!! We would also give you your space when you needed it. Check out the roll call for Solstice 02/08/09...

I'm so sorry about the loss of your DH. I lost my mother in July, and it's still difficult. That's more true when you've been the caregiver for an extended period of time. I can relate.

Sharon (in NE PA)

I am in my 60's and single. I have been on one cruise ('98 Veendam), and will take my second in February 09 (Solstice). I would certainly be taking more if I didn't have to pay the single supliment :(. I'm like someone else who said friends and family aren't interested or not available for what ever reason. On my first cruise I signed up for HAL's "share program", and that went quite well. For the Solstice cruise I do have my best friend sharing...this will be her 1st cruise :rolleyes:. Only time will tell when I will schedule another cruise (translation: as SOON as I can afford it!!).

I'm posting this to let you know if you're looking for a cruise early in '09...consider the Feb.8th Solstice!!! There will be a great group on board...and we would welcome you!! We would also give you your space when you needed it. Check out the roll call for Solstice 02/08/09...

I'm so sorry about the loss of your DH. I lost my mother in July, and it's still difficult. That's more true when you've been the caregiver for an extended period of time. I can relate.

Sharon (in NE PA)

The Solstice looks like it will be wonderful. Living on the far West Coast (Seattle) I'm trying not to fly cross country to cruise just now. It adds so much to the price and I just hate to fly that far. I have "wimped out" on my first solo cruise and instead will be going to Alaska on May 16 on the Amsterdam and taking a friend who has never cruised before. Sounds like your situation, doesn't it? She can't afford to go herself and it doesn't cost me anything extra except for surcharges so this will be a good way to get my "cruising feet" under me again before I go solo. The Amsterdam leaves from Seattle so it's just about perfect for us - 20 minutes to the terminal. I can even see the cruise ships come in from my office downtown!

Take care and if I don't talk with you sooner, have a great cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

i am also in my 60's and work parttime at a retail store. I love cruises and haven't had any problems with cruising solo. Like others, noone in my family or friends like cruises so i just go it alone. I really want to go to asia or europe but do not want the dreaded 8 0r 9 air time so i have decided a transatlantic is best for me leaving from florida and only coming back with the long air time. Am trying to decide which one and when i can get enough time off so i donot lose my job. I hope you have a sunny wonderful trip in jan. On ecstasy - i love carnival as there is a good variety of folks. Look forward to hearing from you.:)

The Solstice looks like it will be wonderful. Living on the far West Coast (Seattle) I'm trying not to fly cross country to cruise just now. It adds so much to the price and I just hate to fly that far. I have "wimped out" on my first solo cruise and instead will be going to Alaska on May 16 on the Amsterdam and taking a friend who has never cruised before. Sounds like your situation, doesn't it? She can't afford to go herself and it doesn't cost me anything extra except for surcharges so this will be a good way to get my "cruising feet" under me again before I go solo. The Amsterdam leaves from Seattle so it's just about perfect for us - 20 minutes to the terminal. I can even see the cruise ships come in from my office downtown!

Take care and if I don't talk with you sooner, have a great cruise.

Hey, Patty.

You won't be alone on the Amsterdam on 5/16 - I'm also booked on that cruise. I have a nice outside cabin aft. I almost always cruise alone and will be alone again. Coming up the coast from L.A. on the Sapphire Princes to Vancouver, then will take the shuttle to the ship in Seattle. My kids live in Tacoma but they won't be graced with my presence until after I get back from Alaska.

I was booked on the Carnival Liberty through Europe in August & September, but they decided to keep the ship in the Caribbean so, if I decide to go, I have to use another cruise line. Probably go with NCL as I like their itinerary best. But I was going to do 3 b2b through the Baltics, down the coast to Rome and then through the Mediterranean. Oh well. Maybe some other year if I'm up to it.

Take care.

• 4 weeks later...

I have made three solo cruises and love it. I meet the most loveables all ages and they do not mind me being an oldie. I am leaving on Jan 10, 09 and would like to hear if there will be other solo cruises at that time.

Hey, Patty.

You won't be alone on the Amsterdam on 5/16 - I'm also booked on that cruise. I have a nice outside cabin aft. I almost always cruise alone and will be alone again. Coming up the coast from L.A. on the Sapphire Princes to Vancouver, then will take the shuttle to the ship in Seattle. My kids live in Tacoma but they won't be graced with my presence until after I get back from Alaska.

I was booked on the Carnival Liberty through Europe in August & September, but they decided to keep the ship in the Caribbean so, if I decide to go, I have to use another cruise line. Probably go with NCL as I like their itinerary best. But I was going to do 3 b2b through the Baltics, down the coast to Rome and then through the Mediterranean. Oh well. Maybe some other year if I'm up to it.

Take care.

Are you on the Amsterdam 5/16 roll call? Can chat there and would love to meet up for a cuppa (or something in a nice stemmed glass?) while we are onboard. We are "living large" on this cruise and have a suite just a few cabins away from the Neptune Lounge. (Spoiling myself this time).Your cruise wish list sounds very adventurous - I need to get out of my comfort zone!

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd add a bit to this thread...

I've thought about doing Carnival's Spirit to Alaska in May, 2009. Took Carnival's Miracle out of NY to Canada (5 nights) a few years back. The Spirit class is my favorite larger ship (so far). I've also cruised on the Star Princess and Dawn Princess. The nice thing about Carnival is that they seat solos together in the dining room. Also, I loved all the entertainment around the ship in the evenings.

In December, 2007 I did a Christmas/New Years cruise solo on the Dawn Princess. I was concerned about being overwhelmed with large families but this was not the case. Had a nice traditional dining room table and everybody was friendly. I look for longer cruises over the holidays--sometimes the pricing is really crazy so I don't go. I usually do an inside cabin and have only been upgraded once.

River Cruising--I did a river cruise thru Russia (St Petersburg to Moscow) for 16 nights. This was a combination of land touring and small boat cruising. I loved the trip and felt this was a great way to tour Russia. This was definately a 'spurge' trip (and I did a cabin share).

I loved looking at the different cruise sites/msg boards and dreaming about my next cruise.

Faith

I have also been on carnival and princess and had more fun on carnival. As you said, there was a lot of entertainment at night and princess was more bland. I am planning a transatlantic, solo, in april on the noordam. It is a back to back to europe and the iternary is great. I have an inside cabin and am taking a leave of absence from work for the month. I have never been on hal. This is the longest cruise i have taken and am flying to fort lauderale and then back from rome. I live in virginia. I enjoyed reading about your cruises and the river cruise sounded unique. I love cruises although none of my family nor friends do. Hope you find a special one soon as the rates are good now. The economy is scary but we have to keep on keeping on.:)

I just got back from a 5-day solo cruise to Key West and Nassau on the Carnival Fascination, and I booke at the senior citizen :rolleyes: rate for the first time. The cruise exceeded my expectations. I paid $350 for my cabin. Where else can you go on vacation for 5 days and have your room, food, transportation between ports, and entertainment paid for?

Booked a 1A bunk bed cabin, and it was quite roomy with a great layout.

Roz

Hippie Lady--Hal's Noordam looks like a wonderful ship to do a ta & European cruise on. I'm thinking about doing something like this for a 60th bday present to myself (this would be in about 3 years). Like you, I would probably have to take a leave of absence from work for a month long vacation.

This year I'll probably do something out of NY in May or June (I'll combine a visit to my dad and old friends with a cruise). I've done 5 and 7 day NY-Canada cruises and always enjoy them--I like cooler weather trips. I may wait to book--looks like pricing is best closer in to a trip.

Faith

What a great deal you got on your carnival cruise. I finally was able to book on the noordam back to back april 3rd. I got a fairly good price and booked an inside cabin. The iternery is what convinced me to take this cruise. As we e mailed before, are you still going in april? Your information was very helpful. Keep in touch. Hayward there are sooo many good prices on cruises now.

Archived