Legend of the Seas

F858MM

Hi Anita -

Would you mind sending me a copy of your review as well? My e-mail is ahbinpa AT mac.com Thanks so much!!

Also, we've had good experiences with most of the private tours we've booked on other cruises, but my family has some safety concerns about doing a private tour in Egypt. Any thoughts on that?

And Mac -- there's an active group on the Roll Call list for the Aug. 4 sailing. Stop in and say hi if you haven't already (I might have missed it).

I hope those of you who are sailing early in the summer will post some great reviews. I'm quite curious about the Legend -- we've sailed the Brilliance and Jewel on RCCI before and I loved the thermal suite. With 4 sea days, I think I will really miss it! It was my little luxury perk and some "just me" time. How's the spa? And how are the steam/sauna rooms?

Thanks all!

Ann

I had been to Egypt several times before the cruise but my wife had not. This was the only site that we took the cruise line tour - and for a very good reason. It is a long ride between Alexandria and Cairo and sometimes the road is closed or there are delays. On a ships tour that is not a problem. Acquaintences took a private tour and almost missed the ship.

The tour we took was Medieval Cairo. It was worthwhile. Best part was the lunch on the falucca in the Nile. Most boring was the mosque/museum visit. Stopping at the Sphynx and the Pyramids is a must if you have not seen them but be prepared to be inundated by beggars and salesmen. Just say no and they go away looking for easier prey. Another good part of the tour is that we had plenty of time in the local market.

Hi Anita -

Would you mind sending me a copy of your review as well? My e-mail is ahbinpa AT mac.com Thanks so much!!

Also, we've had good experiences with most of the private tours we've booked on other cruises, but my family has some safety concerns about doing a private tour in Egypt. Any thoughts on that?

And Mac -- there's an active group on the Roll Call list for the Aug. 4 sailing. Stop in and say hi if you haven't already (I might have missed it).

I hope those of you who are sailing early in the summer will post some great reviews. I'm quite curious about the Legend -- we've sailed the Brilliance and Jewel on RCCI before and I loved the thermal suite. With 4 sea days, I think I will really miss it! It was my little luxury perk and some "just me" time. How's the spa? And how are the steam/sauna rooms?

Thanks all!

Ann

Egypt- Yes, I can understand being apprehensive in Egypt.

We felt very comfortable with our private tour. There was

another group that booked with DeCastro but they never

tried to combine us. So, our private tour was just me and my

husband. The two vans kept in contact with each other

often along with the tourist police. We were back on the

ship- showered and fed before the ship's tour buses started

to roll in.

The venders at the pyramids were very aggressive so we

bought all of our souviniers right by the ship. They were more

laid back there.

In the end, whether you go with a private tour or the

ships tour is matter of person preference. For us, it was

a wonderful experience.

I got everyone but you so far. Right now it seems my email is

down. I'll get you asap.

Hi! My Wife and I are boarding the Legend for our very first cruise in Aug. Can you send me your journal as well? Thanks so much. -Eric

Catgirl - maybe I'm missing something here but to avoid spending the next 3 weeks of your life sending out emails why don't you just post your review on here? It's like writing a book and sending it out one at a time instead of publishing a whole stack at once!:D

Catgirl - maybe I'm missing something here but to avoid spending the next 3 weeks of your life sending out emails why don't you just post your review on here? It's like writing a book and sending it out one at a time instead of publishing a whole stack at once!:D

I would but it's literally 31 pages----single spaced!

I see you're from South Africa. Our tablemates were from there.

We plan on visiting them in 2010. DH races BMX bikes and the

World Championships are there that year. I hear it's absolutely

beautiful there.

We were on this cruise last August and absolutely loved it! Photos and review in the links below.

Although we thought it would be a once in a lifetime Med. cruise, we have now booked another (different itinerary) for summer of 2009.

Happy to answer any questions.

Kathy:)

I see you're from South Africa. Our tablemates were from there.

We plan on visiting them in 2010. DH races BMX bikes and the

World Championships are there that year. I hear it's absolutely

beautiful there.

It sure is Catgirl! One of the most beautiful countries in the world - I am sure you will have a great time visiting in 2010. If you don't mind I would also love to see your review - we're going on the Legend in June... I can't wait!!! My email is tom at qta dot co dot za

• 2 months later...

Just returned from 12 nite cruise to med/greece/egypt. I can't tell you what a great experience it was. RCL and LOS was great. I took the excursion offered thru RCL and was not disappointed. There were four of us and we did the ride the camel, 4x4 in the desert excursion. The country club (Sakkara) was great. It was a once in a life-time experience. Saw the pyramids, step pyramid, sphinx and actually on the currently under restoration tombs. Had plenty of time. Shopping was just a shop the tours must all have prearranged. However, mostly everyone buys a cartouche and that is done on the bus. The tour guide was very informative. Cairo is a poor city, however, there is beauty everywhere.

So glad you enjoyed your cruise. Seeing Cairo and the Pyramids is really incredible.

Happy all went well and you enjoyed RCL and the Legend of the Seas (we were on the same cruise last August).:D

Kathy

This is a question about the ship. We've sailed on Splendour a few times and love sitting on deck 9 aft just outside the gym. Does Legend have the same quiet secluded sundeck? We're going on the Asia cruise in April 2009 and I want to daydream about sailaway :D

You will have a wonderful time. The ship is smaller than what we have sailed on but the only thing we missed was the alternative dining sites. It is in great shape and if you're on the 8th deck there is a staircase that takes you right into the spa outside the solarium.

The ports were wonderful. We did a combination on ship's excursions, private tours and on our own.

One hint: if you are taking the ship's Egypt tour - get to the meeting point about 10 minutes earlier than stated on your ticket. We had 44 buses departing that morning and we were number 1 out and number 1 in. It may not seem like much in the morning - but at the end of the tour you are dirty, hungry, and tired and we arrived 30 - 60 minutes before the last buses. So 10 minutes in the morning makes a HUGE difference.

Mykonos is one of the prettiest places I have ever been to. Just get off the ship and explore it.

Cyprus - we went to the waterpark.. After so much touring before the ship and in ports we decided we needed some fun and we had a great time.

I highly suggest the Amalfi Coast - private tour is best here. Another breathtaking site.

See as much as you can but then take time to just enjoy the scenery, the people and the experience. Don't over schedule your time so that all you do is rush from one place to the next. And don't see everything through your camera lens.

Another hint: we spent 3 full days in Rome before boarding the ship on day 4 - we booked a segway tour and had a great experience. We saw the main sites and also lots of local sites.

Hope you have a great trip!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived