How formal are formal nights?

Avril

I was just wondering how formal the formal nights are on HAL. If it makes a difference, I'm sailing on the Eurodam over New Years. I love formal nights and was just wondering what I should bring to wear. :D

Thanks!! :D

We were surprised how casual our formal nights were (on the Zuiderdam in Feb.). There were very few men in tuxes...the vast majority were in suits. There were women in long dresses, but mostly I saw lots of black cocktail dresses. I know this varies from cruise to cruise, but this is what we experienced. :)

We have been on a New Year's cruise (Carnival), and on that cruise, I'd say 60% of the men were in tuxes and the women were in formals. I would think since it's a holiday sailing, you'll see the same thing (more tuxes and long dresses).

I'd take whatever you feel comfortable wearing!

We have been on a New Year's cruise (Carnival), and on that cruise, I'd say 60% of the men were in tuxes and the women were in formals. I would think since it's a holiday sailing, you'll see the same thing (more tuxes and long dresses).

I've been on 2 New Years cruises with Carnival so I know what you mean (Legend and Freedom). :D I really hope HAL's the same way!!

I love formal nights and in my opinion, the more formal, the better!! :D I just don't want to be dressed to the nines and everyone else is more semi-formal so I stick out like a sore thumb!! :o

I was surprised at what some people call formal on my recent Maasdam cruise. Most of the dresses I saw ladies wearing I would wear to work. I always really dress to the nines on formal night but I seemed to be one of the few. I like doing it and if others don't no big deal (within reason).

Avril, my husband will be bringing his tux, my son his suit and I will be bringing my gown. You won't stand out!:cool:

Marle, I love you!! :D I'll bring my gown as well and if no one else dresses up, we can stick out together!! :D

I was surprised at what some people call formal on my recent Maasdam cruise. Most of the dresses I saw ladies wearing I would wear to work. I always really dress to the nines on formal night but I seemed to be one of the few. I like doing it and if others don't no big deal (within reason).

I know what you mean. I've seen some people on Carnival who think that formal means a really nice pair of blue jeans with a fancy sweater or something. :(

A New Years Cruise is a whole different kettle of fish than the run-of-the-mill cruise at other times of the year. People are paying more for that cruise than they normally do at other times of the year, and most people like to be festive on New Years Eve night. SO ... I would expect more men to be dressed up in Tuxedos than would be the average for that kid of itinerary. Maybe you'll be lucky and have more than half of the men so-dressed.

I would LOVE to do a New Year's cruise again.

A New Years Cruise is a whole different kettle of fish than the run-of-the-mill cruise at other times of the year. People are paying more for that cruise than they normally do at other times of the year, and most people like to be festive on New Years Eve night. SO ... I would expect more men to be dressed up in Tuxedos than would be the average for that kid of itinerary. Maybe you'll be lucky and have more than half of the men so-dressed.

I would LOVE to do a New Year's cruise again.

Come join us!:)

I think you will see a little bit of everything. I do agree that people are generally more formal on a New Years Cruise. Everyone has their own idea of what a vacation should be to them. Some love the opportunity to dress up and others can't be bothered.

Come join us!:)

Oh, I wish I could! However, I've got a late-January cruise on the Noordam booked; if I weren't going to be doing anything else but that cruise before June 2009 I would think about the Eurodam New Year's cruise, but if I'm going to take my mother to Alaska in May 2009 (and that's the plan), I'll need to reserve the rest of my vacation Sundays for that. :D

Thanks so much for the invite, though!

WE were on a 10 day cruise in NOvember of 2006 and formal nights were very formal for the most part. Of course the longer the cruise, the more formal they seem to be. i would guess 50% or more of the men were in Tuxes, about 30-40% in dark suits, the rest more casual. The gals were mostly wearing long gowns or after 5 cocktail dresses.

Nita

Oh, I wish I could! However, I've got a late-January cruise on the Noordam booked; if I weren't going to be doing anything else but that cruise before June 2009 I would think about the Eurodam New Year's cruise, but if I'm going to take my mother to Alaska in May 2009 (and that's the plan), I'll need to reserve the rest of my vacation Sundays for that. :D

Thanks so much for the invite, though!

I guess it wouldn't do to have too many Sundays away! Well perhaps we shall meet at sea another time.:)

Thanks everyone!! :D I think I'll bring my long evening gown and one other formal dress. Do you think New Years or the other formal night will be more formal? Or will they have 3 formal nights?

Shucks.... SURVIVOR starts in a couple minutes.... otherwise, I'd make some popcorn and hunker down for this thread!

*wondering how she can incorporate "smoking on the balcony" into this conversation* :D

LOL!!!! :D You are just way too funny!! :D

By the way, I watched Survivor as well!!

Thanks everyone!! :D I think I'll bring my long evening gown and one other formal dress. Do you think New Years or the other formal night will be more formal? Or will they have 3 formal nights?

LOL!!!! :D You are just way too funny!! :D

By the way, I watched Survivor as well!!

Looks like Eurodam's New Years cruise this year wil be a seven-dayer Ft. Lauderdale roundtrip doing HMC, Aruba and Curacao - Nice itinerary!!

We've done eight New Years cruises so far and they're one of the best way to celebrate New Year's Eve and ring in the New Year. Be sure to try the Dutch New Year's Eve treat called "oliebollen" Eurodam will be leaving Willemstad, Curacao on New Year's Eve this year so you might get some fireworks there also, another Dutch tradition on New Year's Eve!

There is no doubt that you will find more folks dressing up formal plus New Year's Eve itself is always a formal night. You should get one more formal night for a total of two after that on a seven-dayer. Have a great cruise!

Watched Survivor also - those four chicks are ruthless (and that's being very nice) but this game isn't over yet so don't call Ol' James out of it yet.

Looks like Eurodam's New Years cruise this year wil be a seven-dayer Ft. Lauderdale roundtrip doing HMC, Aruba and Curacao - Nice itinerary!!

We've done eight New Years cruises so far and they're one of the best way to celebrate New Year's Eve and ring in the New Year. Be sure to try the Dutch New Year's Eve treat called "oliebollen" Eurodam will be leaving Willemstad, Curacao on New Year's Eve this year so you might get some fireworks there also, another Dutch tradition on New Year's Eve!

There is no doubt that you will find more folks dressing up formal plus New Year's Eve itself is always a formal night. You should get one more formal night for a total of two after that on a seven-dayer. Have a great cruise!

Watched Survivor also - those four chicks are ruthless (and that's being very nice) but this game isn't over yet so don't call Ol' James out of it yet.

I'm looking forwar to the itinerary. I've been to Aruba and Ft. Lauderdale before but not the others. I'll be sure to look for those Dutch New Years traditions - they should be fun!! :D

I think that James will be there for a while. Erik however, I'm not so sure about (even though I like him but then, I liked Jason). I have to say that I do like Natalie (sp) she's pure evil but she's awesome!! :D I think she even called herself a bi**h.

I guess it wouldn't do to have too many Sundays away! Well perhaps we shall meet at sea another time.:)

Based upon my tenure in ministry -- 18 years -- I am entitled to a minimum of 4 weeks of Vacation per-year, inclusive of Sundays, plus an additional week of Continuing Education and Spiritual Formation. I sometimes take a week or two more than the minimum amount of time alloted, though I'm always cognizant of the church schedule so-as to not conflict with important functions, high-holy days, etc.

I'm looking forwar to the itinerary. I've been to Aruba and Ft. Lauderdale before but not the others. I'll be sure to look for those Dutch New Years traditions - they should be fun!! :D

Curacao is a wonderful port to visit. I've been there twice and look forward to going back in the future. Have a GREAT time on that cruise! :)

My husband will be wearing a dark suit and my 18YO daughter and I will be wearing nice coctail dresses. However, my 13YO son does not own a suit that fits (growing spurt now), so what would be suitable for him to wear for formal night? :confused:

We will be on Noordom for Eastern Med. this June.

Unfortunately for the fashion police, I will be dressed in a dark suit on formal nights.

Although not truly "formal", a dark suit surely meets the code.

There's no "unfortunately for the fashion police" about it.

SNIP......

Unfortunately for the fashion police, I will be dressed in a dark suit on formal nights.

Welcome to the HAL board. We hope you come to enjoy the line as much as most of us do.

As a badge carrying member of the fashion police, please note that you will be appropriately attired in accordance with code. Thank you. :)

Cheers, and please tell us all about it afterwards.

Mark

Archived