How formal are formal nights?

Avril

However, my 13YO son does not own a suit that fits (growing spurt now), so what would be suitable for him to wear for formal night? :confused:

A jacket w/tie is the minimal acceptable level of dress to meet the code. Does your son have a sport jacket that he could wear with Dockers? That would do it.

You could try searching second-hand shops for good used clothing. You'd be surprised what nice things you can get for a few dollars.

...............who think that formal means a really nice pair of blue jeans with a fancy sweater or something

This style (for men at least) is not just confined to cruising. I attended our office Christmas dinner and dance last year. All the women had really made an effort and were dressed beautifully. Long gowns were not called for but most women wore really nice party frocks. Some of the men were wearing jeans and t-shirts!!!!!!!! I really felt insulted. :( Perhaps it is the current trend, but I do not like it.

A jacket w/tie is the minimal acceptable level of dress to meet the code. Does your son have a sport jacket that he could wear with Dockers? That would do it.

You could try searching second-hand shops for good used clothing. You'd be surprised what nice things you can get for a few dollars.

Thanks for the idea of second-hand clothing stores. The suits would surely look new since they were probably just outgrown. My son loves to be dressed-up and wear a tie (he learned to tie one at age 7 and refuses to wear clip-ons). He just hasn't needed one yet this year.

You got me excited. The New Year's cruise will be my first Holland America experience. My roots are with Celebrity.

Unfortunately for the fashion police, I will be dressed in a dark suit on formal nights.

I'm sorry if you got that impression from what's been said, thus far, on this thread. A dark suit on formal night is perfectly fine. There will be be many men dressed that way aboard ship, and none of us in the so-called "fashion police" will say anything about that. :) Indeed, given the proclivities of dress seen these days aboard ship I, among others, would be thrilled to see someone in a dark suit as opposed to, oh let us say, shorts and "wife-beater" t-shirt. :D

This thread wandered into Tuxedo wearing simply because Avril's original question was: "how formal is formal?" and, specifically: "I love formal nights and was just wondering what I should bring to wear." On a New Year's cruise many people will "pull out all the stops" and come prepared to dress as formally as they can. For some this means Tuxedo or the equivalent; for others it may mean a black or dark suit and tie. What it doesn't' mean as that droves of people will be dressed casually on Formal Night. While one sometimes sees that on HAL cruises, the chances of that being the case on a New Year's cruise, given the extra-special festive environment and nature of the cruise, is not great.

Curacao is a wonderful port to visit. I've been there twice and look forward to going back in the future. Have a GREAT time on that cruise! :)

I will have a great time, never fear!! :D What's Half Moon Cay like?

You got me excited. The New Year's cruise will be my first Holland America experience. My roots are with Celebrity.

Mine as well!! :D I'm so excited!! :D My roots are mostly with Carnival.

As a badge carrying member of the fashion police, please note that you will be appropriately attired in accordance with code. Thank you. :)

LOL, I think I'm a badge carrying member as well!! :D It's important (to me at least) that people follow the dress code set each night by the cruise line (especialy on formal night).

My husband will be wearing a dark suit and my 18YO daughter and I will be wearing nice coctail dresses. However, my 13YO son does not own a suit that fits (growing spurt now), so what would be suitable for him to wear for formal night? :confused:

We will be on Noordom for Eastern Med. this June.

My son is now 16, but up until last year, when we bought him a suite because we think he's growing a little more slowly now (he's 6'1), he wore black dockers, white dress shirt and tie for formal nights.

Thanks for the idea of second-hand clothing stores. The suits would surely look new since they were probably just outgrown. My son loves to be dressed-up and wear a tie (he learned to tie one at age 7 and refuses to wear clip-ons). He just hasn't needed one yet this year.

My son too likes to dress up. The thrift shops are a good idea. We could never find anything to fit him though!

Based upon my tenure in ministry -- 18 years -- I am entitled to a minimum of 4 weeks of Vacation per-year, inclusive of Sundays, plus an additional week of Continuing Education and Spiritual Formation. I sometimes take a week or two more than the minimum amount of time alloted, though I'm always cognizant of the church schedule so-as to not conflict with important functions, high-holy days, etc.

Then it is my sincere hope that one of our cruises will coincide with one of your weeks of vacation.:)

I've been on 2 New Years cruises with Carnival so I know what you mean (Legend and Freedom). :D I really hope HAL's the same way!!

I love formal nights and in my opinion, the more formal, the better!! :D I just don't want to be dressed to the nines and everyone else is more semi-formal so I stick out like a sore thumb!! :o

Maybe there is not as many tuxes as there used to be but you still see people dressed to the nines. I watched this lovely couple dancing in the centrum lounge on deck 3 pre dinner the second formal night on my Westerdam crusie. He wore a tux and she had on a long sequeiened slinky gown (think Marilyn Monore) They were gorgeous!

One thing for sure, even with less tuxes, HAL overall, is much more formal then you will find people on Carnival and RCI. You do not see people dressed like they are going to the ball park on casual night as you see on those lines.

I also believe your cruise being over New Years will mean people will deck themselves out more then usual. So I say go for it!

You do not see people dressed like they are going to the ball park on casual night as you see on those lines.

You can; I have. But I agree the truth is you see so very little of it that people attired like that (I refuse to use the word "dressed" :rolleyes: ) stick out like a sore thumb.

Rev. Neal (Greg)

On formal nites I will be dressed in a dark suit and new tie something like a friend of mine said was his 'burying clothes'. While I would like to see all suits burned, I prefer to be cremated wearing a comfortable pair of shorts. I prefer no one at my wake wear a tie, but I will wear one to formal nites as that is the rule.

"When in Rome"

You can; I have. But I agree the truth is you see so very little of it that people attired like that (I refuse to use the word "dressed" :rolleyes: ) stick out like a sore thumb.

So true!

I am really looking forward to meeting you on the Noordam cruise in January. You've always been one of my favorite posters! :)

So true!

I am really looking forward to meeting you on the Noordam cruise in January. You've always been one of my favorite posters! :)

Thank you! What a nice thing to read. :) I've been looking forward to meeting you, too.

Er, should I spiff up my wardrobe for that cruise? ;)

On formal nites I will be dressed in a dark suit and new tie something like a friend of mine said was his 'burying clothes'. While I would like to see all suits burned, I prefer to be cremated wearing a comfortable pair of shorts. I prefer no one at my wake wear a tie, but I will wear one to formal nites as that is the rule.

"When in Rome"

I understand, entirely! And thank you for your willingness to join in with us in the Formal Night affair. You will look great on Formal Nights.

As for when I'm cremated, I plan on being "viewed" before and during the funeral in clericals and robes; but, then, I want those removed and given to family/friends and I'll be happy if my remains are cremated in shorts and t-shirt. :) But no one will need to see me that way. :)

Thank you! What a nice thing to read. :) I've been looking forward to meeting you, too.

Er, should I spiff up my wardrobe for that cruise? ;)

LOL, don't spiff it up on my account! You seem like such a fun gal. :) I need to shop for a few new things...but I HATE shopping!!! I've got a bunch of Vikki Vi outfits and I plan on mixing it up with those. We're really going to try and not bring a ton of clothes...this time.

Hubby didn't even want to bring a suit, only nice slacks and a jacket/tie...but revneal chimed in and I told him what he said...and hubby said, "fine." lol

...but I HATE shopping!!!

A gal after my own heart! :D I did just buy a few formals for the E-dam (any many more) cruises, but that was the first shopping trip since Jan. '00.

When I was working, and wanted a nice wardrobe, I would go shopping maybe twice a year at best. Some of those clothes are still fine for informal nights---too bad HAL doesn't have informal nights anymore. :rolleyes: So I wear 'em on casual nights.

the only time I saw very many was the second formal night after dinner. We had the late dinner. we were in the piano bar around 10 pm. A good number of people (I guess who had had earlier dinner) had grunged down.

It was as though since dinner and vista show was over, that they felt it was grunge down time.

Now I have no problem with that out on the lido but I did feel it was out of place on deck 2.

I understand, entirely! And thank you for your willingness to join in with us in the Formal Night affair. You will look great on Formal Nights.

As for when I'm cremated, I plan on being "viewed" before and during the funeral in clericals and robes; but, then, I want those removed and given to family/friends and I'll be happy if my remains are cremated in shorts and t-shirt. :) But no one will need to see me that way. :)

Now I know you are joking about the hsorts and teeshirt but I believe you are just cremated in your birthday suit. But that will be okay-no modesty needed at that point.

I plan on being cremated also.

Just off the Maasdam, we had three formal nights and I will say that I love a man in a tux - and wasn't disappointed at all! :D

Most people dressed very nicely for formal nights - inlcuding my hubby who looks smashing in his tux. My BIL wore a dark suit and also looked nice, though I was very disappointed when he changed after dinner - as quite a few folks did.

The only thing I changed after dinner was into a pair of lower heels and DH took off his tux vest one night when it was pretty warm.

This sailing had far and away more formal dressers than we've seen on our recent Vista class sailings. :)

Shucks.... SURVIVOR starts in a couple minutes.... otherwise, I'd make some popcorn and hunker down for this thread!

*wondering how she can incorporate "smoking on the balcony" into this conversation* :D

Of all the people I have missed, its been you! I am not in the market for a cruise in the near future so haven't been paying much attention (actually,no attention at all) until my daughter and future son in law were throwing around an idea of a honeymoon cruise. I thought I would log back on and see if anything is new.....

Nope!

Shari

Who is looking for a Mother of the Bride dress in denim....:)

Of all the people I have missed, its been you! I am not in the market for a cruise in the near future so haven't been paying much attention (actually,no attention at all) until my daughter and future son in law were throwing around an idea of a honeymoon cruise. I thought I would log back on and see if anything is new.....

Nope!

Shari

Who is looking for a Mother of the Bride dress in denim....:)

Hey, when is the wedding? Dutch guy right? (If I remember)

Good Memory! Yes, he's the Dutch guy....wedding is 8/31/08 - can't sway them into a cruise....looking like a week or so in Costa Rica...

Ah, great choice (for a future son-in-law)!!;) Teach your daughter to tell him "Ik hou van jou" (I love you) - Here's hoping the wedding is a nice one!

Ah, great choice (for a future son-in-law)!!;) Teach your daughter to tell him "Ik hou van jou" (I love you) - Here's hoping the wedding is a nice one!

Very nice - !

I will pass it on!

Thank you for your good wishes -

I did just buy a few formals for the E-dam (any many more) cruises, but that was the first shopping trip since Jan. '00. When I was working, and wanted a nice wardrobe, I would go shopping maybe twice a year at best. Some of those clothes are still fine for informal nights---too bad HAL doesn't have informal nights anymore. :rolleyes: So I wear 'em on casual nights. [/color][/size][/font]

I've been trying to find things that roll up in a ball and still will look nice. I tend to over pack, especially on cruises. It's a bad habit and trying to break it. :)

I really thought our cruise would be more formal than it was (the Zuiderdam cruise). I'd brought along a bunch of mix-n-match nice matching slacks/sleeveless tanks/jackets, and found that most people were in sundresses or casual clothing like that, so this time, that's what I am bringing.

Hubby would be fine if every night he could wear Dockers and polo-type shirts the entire time. He does not like to get dressed up. Had enough of that for years in the business world, I guess. But I love it when he wears a tux and gets all spiffed-up.

What can you do? lol

Archived