NCL F3 Cabins Look Gorgeous

Pilot70D

W hotels/Gansevoort hotels/South Beach hotels without the class. The buffet/vanity thing (where the TV is) looks like one of those WalMart special, particleboard, plastic contact paper veneer entertainment centers.

Sounds to me like you despise anything NCL will bring to the cruise industry. Or....maybe you are worried that the F3 will be a big hit in the cruise industry and make Celebrity look like chopped liver. LOL.

I respectfully disagree. Just because someone offers their opinion of the decor does not necessarily mean they despise NACL. I went to the NACL thread on the F, and for the most part, posters there did not like the decor. As one poster wrote, it looks more like a space ship than a cruise ship.

I don't happen to have an opinion either way. I will wait to formalize one once I have seen the public areas. As for "chopped liver", I happen to really like the elegant look of the Solstice public areas. I'm not trying to be difficult, but decor (much like food on board) is subjective.

I sure didnt like the rounded edges on the beds. Anyone who is tall will be very unhappy with that.

I highly doubt Celebrity will go in this direction, and that is fine with me.

Too late Celebrity already has gone with the rounded edges on Century and Solstice will be doing the same.

Not a big fan of the new stateroom design. The wall of brown cabinets and vanity is a nice touch, but the rest is no so great. From what I have read so far, the curved wall/interlocking design and removal of bulky single bathroom, is all to make it "seem" like there is more space, since they have significantly removed square footage of stateroom in an attempt to cram MORE people onto their ship. That is the significant draw back.

Look at the space between the end of the bed and the wall. That looks like standard stateroom clearance. In a standard rectangular stateroom, you would have all of the space that the curved wall where it comes into the cabin takes up. They're packing them in like sardines.

Also not a big fan of stepping out of the shower into the main room with no "dressing area." The current bathroom set up on NCL ships is actually quite good. It separates the toilette room from the main bathroom without pulling them apart.

I prefer the Solstice design. Ahhhh, can't wait!

This looks very space aged like the styling in the movie 2001. While this maybe 2008 I don’t think this styling will personally appeal to me in 2009 as well. The issue as I see with the styling from the renderings and info on NCL’s site is this may interfere with movement around cabin.

For example on a standard cabin on Celebrity now if my DW opens the closets to stair at what she is going to wear for the evening it may interfere with my ability to get in or out of the cabin and sometimes the bathroom. Having the closet space moved inside the cabin would likely interfere with movement about the cabin when the closet doors are open.

Also the seating area is curved and I would think if it pulls out for additional sleeping it would take much more floor space and may block the closet access as well.

Having the vanity and sink outside the bathroom would mean all our bathroom items that create a mess in the bathroom now would be in our cabin. Not something I want to look at all the time. I’ve stayed in hotel rooms with this design and have hated it as it interferes with my bathroom routine. Also if there is no sink in the bathroom does this mean you have to handle the door latch before washing your hands? If so then I would think on a cruise ship there would be some heath concerns with this approach.

Personally I like the cabin layout on Solstice better and feel it’s far more practical and better thought out but only time will tell how ether approach pans out in use.

There are a few things I don’t like with Solstice as well but the rooms are not one of them.

JMHO

Sounds to me like you despise anything NCL will bring to the cruise industry. Or....maybe you are worried that the F3 will be a big hit in the cruise industry and make Celebrity look like chopped liver. LOL.

I could care less if the vanity/buffet is an NCL thing. It look CHEAP-like those phony, plasticy entertainment centers.

YOu may think this is an odd thought, but my first impression upon seeing the cabin picture, is that with all the waves in the design, how will that affect those that tend to get sea sick? I mean, looking at those wavy lines when your stomach is upset, certainly won't help make you feel better!!

I've never been a fan of sinks away from the toilet area. I don't care for the design when we have it in a hotel room, and in a smaller space, privacy will be compromised as well as efficency. (Where did I put my...).

Mary

Keep in mind that the staterooms in the pictures are computer generated. They are not actual photos of staterooms. The pictures can not give an accurate depiction of the quality of the veneer used.

Personally, I think they look great and I will be first in line in 2010.

Too late Celebrity already has gone with the rounded edges on Century and Solstice will be doing the same.

Yup.... they're rounded on Connie now too. I'm guessing all of the new bedding includes this 'feature'.

Typical Solstice balcony stateroom:

solstice_concierge_schematic_lg.jpg

Not a big fan of the new stateroom design. The wall of brown cabinets and vanity is a nice touch, but the rest is no so great. From what I have read so far, the curved wall/interlocking design and removal of bulky single bathroom, is all to make it "seem" like there is more space, since they have significantly removed square footage of stateroom in an attempt to cram MORE people onto their ship. That is the significant draw back.

Look at the space between the end of the bed and the wall. That looks like standard stateroom clearance. In a standard rectangular stateroom, you would have all of the space that the curved wall where it comes into the cabin takes up. They're packing them in like sardines.

Also not a big fan of stepping out of the shower into the main room with no "dressing area." The current bathroom set up on NCL ships is actually quite good. It separates the toilette room from the main bathroom without pulling them apart.

I prefer the Solstice design. Ahhhh, can't wait!

There is a fellow who is an NCL crewmember who posts on the NCL message board. He has seen a life size "mock up" of the F3 cabins. He claims these is plenty of room in the shower stall room for showering and drying off and changing clothes. He assured everyone on the NCL message board that won't be a problem. All we can do is wait and see how it's going to work out.

This looks very space aged like the styling in the movie 2001. While this maybe 2008 I don’t think this styling will personally appeal to me in 2009 as well. The issue as I see with the styling from the renderings and info on NCL’s site is this may interfere with movement around cabin.

For example on a standard cabin on Celebrity now if my DW opens the closets to stair at what she is going to wear for the evening it may interfere with my ability to get in or out of the cabin and sometimes the bathroom. Having the closet space moved inside the cabin would likely interfere with movement about the cabin when the closet doors are open.

Also the seating area is curved and I would think if it pulls out for additional sleeping it would take much more floor space and may block the closet access as well.

Having the vanity and sink outside the bathroom would mean all our bathroom items that create a mess in the bathroom now would be in our cabin. Not something I want to look at all the time. I’ve stayed in hotel rooms with this design and have hated it as it interferes with my bathroom routine. Also if there is no sink in the bathroom does this mean you have to handle the door latch before washing your hands? If so then I would think on a cruise ship there would be some heath concerns with this approach.

Personally I like the cabin layout on Solstice better and feel it’s far more practical and better thought out but only time will tell how ether approach pans out in use.

There are a few things I don’t like with Solstice as well but the rooms are not one of them.

JMHO

I'm also concerned about the toiletries and what not being visible in the cabin. I surely hope NCL is providing shelves with cabinet doors made out of mirror to store toiletries and such. I don't want to look at those items in the cabin either.

As for not being able to wash your hands immediately after using the toilet...that is an excellent point. I don't like that either. That is a major health concern not unless you step on a foot pedal to open the toilet room door. LOL. I sincerely doubt it.

It seems there are people who hate NCL no matter what she does...yet NCL was the first one with FREESTYLE..and the other lines are using their own version..NCL was the first ones to split a ship and add more cabins.. Many people I have met turn up their nose when NCL is mentioned..I for one think they are very innovative in many ways. Oh yes.. they were the first ones to have an alll American crew (didnt work out)..have a fleet in Hawaii.. Why dont we all wait until we see what the new ship will look like..

Yup.... they're rounded on Connie now too. I'm guessing all of the new bedding includes this 'feature'.

Hi Denb !

I was on Constellation a few weeks ago, and they definitely had the old beds in my cabin. Then again, everything was worn in my cabin, and the carpet was full of stains and in worn condition. Perhaps they didn't get around to updating deck 7 aft yet.

I forgot that Century had the rounded beds. While the bedding was good, I did not like the rounded edges at all.

Just to clarify.... when I said that I doubted that Celebrity would be going in that direction, I was referring to the Cabin style on NCL F3 class, and not the rounded bed edges.

I think the cabin looks great. There are some things I don't like about it (I, too, wondered about the wavy design and seasickness), but my first thought when I saw it was "I can't wait to get on that ship." Which, of course, is exactly the reaction NCL was going for.

Like it or not, I think it's good that someone out there is doing something innovative and creative. NCL may not be liked by a lot of cruisers, but it is really a very innovative cruise line, coming up with new concepts and designs--freestyle dining, casual dress all nights, American-flagged cruise ships, and now some new cabin designs. Its good for the industry as a whole that there are new ideas being tried and more choices available.

I started this thread and had no ulterior motive in so doing. I do find it interesting that the responses are so polarized for the most part. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground - people either hated or they loved to F3 cabins in the pictures.

I will admit that I don't particularly like the color schemes but I do like the flowing lines. The lack of square corners makes the space look larger than it really is. We do see this same concept even on older Celebrity ships. We don't see it on the cabins of course but we do see it in areas like the main dining rooms. They rarely have a 90 degree corner.

Sweeping lines do prevent that 'boxy' look and feel. I personally have never really liked the boxy nature that all of our cabins have had regardless of cruise line. Don't get me wrong - we've always enjoyed ourselves and the cabins in which we've stayed but the F3 cabins look attractive enough that we are tempted to book an NCL cruise when they become available just to see if we like them.

This is one time that I wish Celebrity's management would chime in and give us their $0.02 worth about this subject. I have often wondered how much autonomy each cruise line has when it comes to their ships if they are part of a conglomerate.

In the meantime everyone have a great day out there.

Archived