NCL F3 Cabins Look Gorgeous

Pilot70D

I looked at the NCL F3 article her in the News section right here on CC. These cabins look really gorgeous to me. I have often wondered when one of the cruise lines would break form the pack and design cabins that weren't like the rectangular boxes that we now have.

Here is a link to that article. Be sure to look at the additional pictures. Now, here is my question. Will we ever see something like this on Celebrity???

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2540

That just looks a gimmick to me. Personally I think decor is more important than shape. I do think the separate WC, basin and shower is a good idea. It will be interesting to see what they look like when built in comparison with Solstice/Equinox. As for 4200 passengers and Freestyle cruising, no thanks.

Phil

I think you need to post it at the NCL section,where there is already a discussion going on. This is the Celebrity section

Seems a valid inquiry here. OP asked a question: "Will we ever see something like this on Celebrity?"

Entirely possible. Probably too late for Solstice class, though. But if it catches on in the industry, RCCL could incorporate some innovations in the interior design of future builds. Curves and angles have always played a role in design; if a cruise line can do this cost-effectively on a mass pre-fab scale, it could be of great appeal.

I can't say I find the look attractive. I am all for something other than a rectangle - but would prefer a little less "disco meets the Jetsons". It looks like some bad attempt at recreating the 70s disco theme.

I would prefer more country club casual look. Classic, sturdy - simple elegance. Less vinyl . . . and more eco materials - bamboo, etc. less synthetics. I think Celebrity's move towards spa-like is good.

Picking materials that are better for environment and will clean and wear well would be a consideration too.

Can't Michelle Kaufmann design the cabins!? She makes small homes that have open feel - loads of multi-purpose areas. they call them an oasis . . . offering tranquility. That's more of what I would prefer on vacation.

Less disco.

It looks like some bad attempt at recreating the 70s disco theme.

LOL. When my sister, an interior architect, saw our pics of Norwegian Gem, she said, "it looks like the 70s threw up."

Now, instead of just the bathroom being hot and steamy after a shower, the whole cabin will be hot and steamy:D, because if the shower door isn't left open (which means dripping water on the cabin floor), the shower cubicle will be moldy in very short time. Or am I seeing it wrong??

W hotels/Gansevoort hotels/South Beach hotels without the class. The buffet/vanity thing (where the TV is) looks like one of those WalMart special, particleboard, plastic contact paper veneer entertainment centers.

The first thing that comes to mind for me is how will the construction process have to change to allow for non rectangular "boxes". The current system uses staterooms built off-site (or at least not in the ship) and slipped into the ship through the exterior shell. All of the modules are identical and "stack" tightly together. With a curved wall section near the exterior end of the stateroom either the units won't fit snuggly or portions would have to be built in place. They would either be wasting space (which they would never do) or time.

The staterooms on Solstice are not exactly rectangular but they are keyed - the wide portion and narrow portion alternate for each room so they still slide right in.

Now, instead of just the bathroom being hot and steamy after a shower, the whole cabin will be hot and steamy:D, because if the shower door isn't left open (which means dripping water on the cabin floor), the shower cubicle will be moldy in very short time. Or am I seeing it wrong??

I don't think so, Sharon. We've sailed a number of ships with this or similar configurations, including the shower on the Xpedition, and didn't notice a problem.

The stateroom is probably still in a rectangular cube, but the interior walls are curved. That way they can be inserted the same but still look asthetically different.

Personally, I think these rooms are pretty nice but look very short on storage and "free" space to move around.

To those that commented regarding the shape and making it work:

If you look at the website that has the pictures and layout, you can see that two cabins (inverted towards each other) make a square. Therefore, they really are boxes/square once two are put together.

So, the shower and the sink are in the cabin? What if you are sharing a cabin with someone other than your SO; where is the privacy here?:confused:

Not my thing.

No. Sink is in cabin, like many hotels. Shower and toilet are in seperate comparments in the bathroom. It is a perfect set-up.

Hi Everyone !

I also thought it looked pretty retro. I sure didnt like the rounded edges on the beds. Anyone who is tall will be very unhappy with that.

I highly doubt Celebrity will go in this direction, and that is fine with me.

Hi Everyone !

I also thought it looked pretty retro. I sure didnt like the rounded edges on the beds. Anyone who is tall will be very unhappy with that.

I highly doubt Celebrity will go in this direction, and that is fine with me.

Hey Andy - good point on the round bed. But these folks might like it!

http://www.eba.ufmg.br/midiaarte/quadroaquadro/hanna/imagens/jetsons.jpg

I think you need to post it at the NCL section,where there is already a discussion going on. This is the Celebrity section

There's nothing wrong with showing the Celebrity fans a look at the innovative design NCL is bringing to the cruise industry. I'm an NCL and RCCL fan and I have been reading all about the Celebrity Solstice.

It might please some, but I do not find this layout in any way different or special to most people.

The "bathroom" design is totally different. The toilet is located in a room by itself. The shower stall and a dry off area are in a room by itself. The sink and vanity is in the cabin right next to the toilet room. That sounds pretty different to me.

I wonder logitically, how that's all going to work out. Sounds like a great idea for friends traveling together or adult children traveling with parents, kids with grandparents occupying the same cabin, etc. We'll have to wait and see how it all comes together.

I don't see it this way at all. There will be a vent in the shower stall room just as there is a vent in the bathroom now. Keep the door to the shower stall room closed and it's just like keeping the door closed to the bathroom after a shower. The cabin will not get hot and steamy and the shower stall room steam will disapate with the vent.

Archived