Unhappy on the Gem Transatlantic now ...

juried

You know, I really needed to vent and I thank you all for listening. I am not stuck in my cabin harping on “oh poor me” I certainly do not feel sorry for myself and I would not consider myself poor. (But I do work for a living) I am not in my 20’s or 30’s, (but I thank you for that) spoiled, I do not think so, but I was afraid I sounded that way too….. I am having a great cruise, meeting wonderful people, eating fantastic meals, seeing fine shows, visiting new places, I have a very attentive butler (who I have only asked for cookies from, nothing else, no meals in my room, not even room service) I, contrary to what I sound like or other opinions here, am an easy customer. I truly only expect to get what I pay for and in my opinion, this is not it. . … This truly is a dream vacation. Even though I did not book until 30 days prior, I have planned and worked for this trip for many years. I have researched these ports and when my calendar allowed it I went for it! :D

Honestly I thought my bitching was very sarcastic and comedic (topless neighbor, husbands methane, balcony doors (this was not a complaint, jeesh I was just explaining the door, it is a VERY IMPRESSIVE DOOR, masking tape, etc…) I certainly did not intend to sound weeny-whiney. I think I said about 5 times that I DO NOT WANT THE GARDEN VILLA. I thought it was ironic that they kept trying to sell it to me and the price was going down. What the hell would I do up there? I would just miss my kids.

BUT you should know that something has changed with NCL. On all past cruises (whether we had a balcony, suite or villa) I have felt like a welcome guest. But now I feel more like a tourist on the ship and NCL is trying every way possible to nickel and dime their own “guests.” I will write a thorough and honest and I hope funny and entertaining review after my cruise. I always try to. I also stated at the beginning of this thread that there are good things about the cabin but that was not why I needed to write … but since you asked: Size, Balcony, Décor, Great TV Screen, DVD Player, Espresso Machine, Comfy Bed, Wi-Fi…. And the ship itself is gorgeous and shiny, brand new. The staff is very friendly, there are MANY great things about the GEM and this trip.

It is just when I cannot breathe that I tend to panic and then I hear from so many people who upgraded, when I, a loyal and so-called “valued” Latitudes member who was supposedly “wait-listed” was never consulted. I love to cruise and I am sure other cruise lines will appreciate my patronage. And you know what … I am ready for something new. Something without expectations sounds very nice.

Enough of this, I gotta go, it is about 75, sunny, gorgeous day in Cadiz, Spain and I am going out to my huge balcony and enjoy it. ;)

Juried

Hang in there, Juried! Try not to focus on your cabin. Get out on the main decks and hang around with interesting people. Keep yourself busy outside of the cabin and go back there when you're dog tired and ready to sleep. I'm also claustrophobic and really learned how bad it can be on a recent Empress of the Seas cruise in a tiny, tiny interior cabin. I actually woke up with a panic attack in the middle of the night. Really horrible! I just did my best to minimize my time in the cabin. Focus on all of the other good things on the cruise.

To the other posters on this board, please go easy on her. Juried is a really nice person that we encountered on a previous TA on the Jewel of the Seas. She's just having one of those frustrating moments that just seem insurmountable when you're out in the middle of the ocean. She's honest and open and I bet she's also a fast typer when she's upset. ;)

Best wishes to all...just trying to help everyone keep perspective.

A very compassionate response...rare here. I can understand her upset about being "waitlisted" and never offered an upsell and then finding out that folks booked after her got what she was told was not available.

Hang in there Juried.

WOW! Apparently you need to be well educated and do lots of homework to sail NCL.

Or else suffer the consequences.

OP, I too would be mighty upset to book a blacony that was unusable. Apparently, to get the good rooms, you have to book years in advance. The crap rooms must be available up to sailing.

WOW! Apparently you need to be well educated and do lots of homework to sail NCL.

OP, I too would be mighty upset to book a blacony that was unusable. Apparently, to get the good rooms, you have to book years in advance. The crap rooms must be available up to sailing.

Well I hope not! :eek: We haven't sailed yet (this Sat.!!), so we will see if that's true. We booked less than 60 days out and we got an AE on the stern. Never had that type of cabin before, but sounds like folks really like it. So maybe we lucked out or maybe we won't like it...but we will see!

As far as booking far in advance...(until we booked our Aug. cruise on RCCL), the furtherest out we ever booked was 4 months. We have booked "gty" and got a great upgrade. We booked the QM2 on a Tues. and sailed on Sat.!! So far, we have had great luck booking "last minute". The only downside is that full payment is almost always due when we book. ;)

Suzyed, The poster you responded to is most likely a NCL hater and is taking advantage of this situation to make yet another jab....just ignore them.

I have to say that I completely understand the OP's feelings and think that those that are berating her, calling her spoiled, etc. are wrong. She paid a lot of money for this cabin and lets not forget that she was ASSURED by NCL that she would be able to use the cabin while the ship was underway. She had no idea about the signs posted in the room etc. She was suspicious prior to sailing but had no way of knowing for sure except to ASK NCL. And she did. She was only made suspicious by those here on CC but who is she to believe? Random posters on an anonymous message board or NCL themselves?

Of those making fun and ridiculing her, I have to wonder how many of you would be thrilled to be in this situation...a beautiful balcony that is unusuable (and expensive) for the majority of the trip. It sucks, and you know it.

OP: Glad you are making the best of your trip and still having a great time. You are not spoiled, you simply want what you paid for, and are entitled to. Nothing spoiled about that.

BUT you should know that something has changed with NCL. On all past cruises (whether we had a balcony, suite or villa) I have felt like a welcome guest. But now I feel more like a tourist on the ship and NCL is trying every way possible to nickel and dime their own “guests.”

Juried

I have been reading this thread with interest but had to respond to this comment. This has also been our experience with NCL recently. Although we continue to cruise mainly with NCL because of the great savings earned through their credit card, it isn't our favorite cruise line. I don't expect to be treated like royalty, but there should be a feeling of being "special", that is a job of everyone associated with the cruise line. Just like my job as a teacher isn't always great, there are still expectations that are involved - be prepared (even if you're having a bad day), communicate well with parents (even if you don't like them), treat students fairly (even if you don't like them:eek: ), etc. I feel that employees on the ship need to treat you like a guest even when they are having a bad day. That is one reason why I cruise - when I am spending a week or more on a trip, I want to feel like I am a guest, not just someone there to be fleeced for all they can get from me. With that said, I understand there is an economic side to the cruiselines but there is also a human side that needs to be addressed too.

Juried - I'm glad you are enjoying your cruise, thanks for posting and I look forward to reading your review when you return.

Suzyed, The poster you responded to is most likely a NCL hater and is taking advantage of this situation to make yet another jab....just ignore them.

Why would you say that? People are telling the OP she should have been experienced enough to know what she was getting into. And she's a CC member.

If only 1% of cruisers visit this site, where will this leave the other 99%?

I guess you would be happy getting poorer accomodations than you would expect, or, in my eyes, an incomplete balcony suite.

Not this cruiser.

We are currently on the Gem Transatlantic and I am not very happy. The ship itself is lovely, most of the staff is very friendly and the seas have calmed down after a rough few days. We loved the first 2 ports Ponta Delgada and Lisbon. Wonderful, just perfect, really.

After re-reading my post here, I am concerned that I might sound like a spoiled brat and get flamed to bits … but this is my situation and I truly believe I have every reason to be upset…

My problem is …. I hate my cabin and even though I am trying not to let it ruin my “European Adventure” it is having a most negative effect on my vacation.

So please allow me to explain my situation and vent a bit….

We have a cabin Category AC which is considered a “Penthouse” suite and is located at the very front of the ship. Now I had only booked this cruise about 30 days ago, and I took the highest category available at the time, except for the Garden Villa. We have sailed in the Garden Villa 4 times in the past (Dawn and Jewel) but since it was only the 2 of us, we had no need for 3 bedrooms. I wanted a Category AB or AA but none were available. However, when I booked I was told I would be “waitlisted” for a higher category cabin and if one should become available I would be able to upgrade, at an additional cost of course. So diligently I watched the travel websites, checking back at least twice daily to see what cabins were still being offered, only to find lower category cabins and the Garden Villa. I called NCL and my travel agent daily, almost to the point of harassment. My reason was this. I booked my suite in haste. On the NCL website the AC sounded perfect, plenty large enough for 2 people, with a huge balcony and VIP services (butler, concierge) which I enjoy. But after reading the boards, I got nervous when one poster mentioned he was in the cabin directly above mine and was unable to open the cabin door and use the balcony during the cruise. I have a touch of claustrophobia (never clinically diagnosed, but I notice that I hold my breath in elevators and have on occasion freaked out in a carwash) I absolutely need to have air and see daylight. Also why bother having a balcony if you cannot use it? Over the phone an NCL rep assured me “No madam, you can of course use your balcony during the cruise” and like a dummy I believed her.

My Cabin Number 9502 is located at the very front of the ship. I instantly read the notice on the balcony door about keeping the door closed while at sea and I got upset. The sign on the door reads All Capitol Letters on the sign: “ WARNING – DANGER STONG WINDS, OPEN AND CLOSE DOOR WITH EXTREME CARE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY, OPEN ONLY WHEN THE VESSEL IS IN PORT. TO AVOID DAMAGE KEEP THIS DOOR LOCKED AT SEA. I tell my butler no way can that be the case, he says I can open the door with caution and to be careful not to let it slam loudly and disturb the neighbors or cut my fingers off… yeah ok, thanks pal. (Note about the balcony door/s. It is not a lovely sliding glass door like a regular balcony but 2 doors, the interior is nice solid high gloss wood much like the rest of the cabin but when you open this door you are faced with a large heavy insulated metal structural door resembling something from a WWII naval movie. This door is truly hard core, weighs about a ton and not easy to open. Once open it locks in place, so that is good. There is also a 6 inch lip at the bottom that you need to step over to get onto the balcony, not a big deal unless it is dark and you forgot to step up and you fall face first … ouch, I might not have fallen if I was able to put a friggin light on, you must keep the drapes closed and the balcony dark or the light can reflect above you, no kidding, the sign reads: “Due to the bridge being above your suite, we kindly ask your cooperation in the evening (whilst at sea) by keeping the drapes closed. This is due to the light from your suite reflecting onto the bridge, minimizing night vision) No big deal here, since the door is too heavy to open, especially with winds forcing it closed, the winds are too much for me stand outside and the sign tells you not to go out there anyway… jeeesh. Truth be told, for its limited usability, the balcony is the best part of the cabin, it is about the same size as the cabin and has a 6 foot sofa, end table, 2 lounge chairs, 2 upright chairs and a trunk to stash the cushions in while at sea all made of lovely beige rattan (or faux rattan?) A lot of deck furniture for 2 people. It is very nice looking and quite comfortable. My glorious Red Sox Banner fit perfectly on the railing and a sunbathing (whilst in port) topless neighbor to boot. Also now that we are in Europe it is great to have your coffee out there in the AM, go on your excursion and return to toast the city goodbye as we cruise out, until we hit such speeds that you cannot stand out there any longer…

I am not happy with my cabin and the whole balcony situation. I beg my concierge on day one, for an option, telling her I am on the so called waiting list for AB or AA but at this point I would even downsize to an AE or a balcony just so I can keep the door open. …. She calls me back the next day and tells me only the Garden Villa is available for 26k,well on the website it said 22k … hmmm something not quite right there. But no thank you, I do not need the Garden Villa.

Now, like I said, we are located at the very front and the wind going across the Atlantic was fierce and I was unable to use my balcony. I am not a stupid woman, true I did have an inkling that facing the ocean would limit my usage … but not make the balcony entirely useless. I thought perhaps some imaginative engineer had designed these cabins to allow accessible balconies while at sea? IE: I do not know how electricity works, but I do know how to use it, nuff said.

Cabin: There are some good things about this cabin … it is just not what this thread is about. I will go into detail with my review, after the cruise.

My cabin is next to the corner cabin category AA, it has a connecting door in case someone wants to rent both, anyway these AA neighbors (the non-topless ones) smoke and we do not, however we could smell the smoke all night and it was just gross. I complained to my room steward but what can you do? Perhaps this is just a design flaw? All I know is my husband drinks Guinness and this particular dark demon magically turns from a liquid to a gas, if you get my meaning (another reason why fresh air is so vital) and perhaps my smoking neighbors were getting a bit of his methane…? One likes to think so anyway, also after chatting with these neighbors, we’re told that they were supposed to be in a category AC (same as me) but upgraded 2 weeks prior to the AA. (unreal, there were NONE available, remember?) I cannot get fresh air into my cabin, so I am in hell. (I did figure a way to not quite close the outer door and then close the inner door, giving me a constant tiny stream of “whistling” fresh sea air, annoying, but at least I can breath)

I hate this cabin.

To top it off we met this lovely couple from San Diego at the Meet and Great. Very nice folks who jumped on the boards at the last minute and they booked their very first NCL cruise just 2 days prior to sailing date. Good for them. I am a last minute type of person myself, the irony being, when they called to book, they were upgraded to a Category AA for only $1600 additional. Good for them! Great for them, really, I mean it! I love when someone gets a great deal. But this has sent me over the edge. I am a silver Latitudes member, what does that mean…? Nothing, absolutely nothing at all, it is all BS. I was on no wait list, they blew me off every day, I have spent over 150k on NCL cruises and sadly this will be my very last cruise on NCL. I feel tricked and lied to. I am actually deeply hurt. I was a true NCL cheerleader, expounding the virtues of Freestyle throughout these boards and various other message boards, blogs and while vacationing elsewhere or RV’ing across the USA. After I told my husband about this “couple in the AA that JUST booked” my DH tried calling the Hotel Director and first had to explain the situation about requesting an upgrade to 2 fledglings and then had to make an appointment to see him later that day. And so he did meet with the Hotel Director and my DH told him how unhappy his wife is (sorry dear) how she called and checked the website daily, touch of claustrophobia, smell of smoke and unfairness of not being offered an upgrade (let me explain this correctly, we would never expect a free upgrade we are very willing to pay) while others new to NCL were offered such upgrades and most importantly our history with NCL, our cruises are very expensive to be sure, but our onboard expenses are enormous (bar bill, excursions, shopping, tipping). And to his credit Mr. Julian Blackenberry gave my husband about 10 minutes of his highly valued time, he had other guests waiting after all ... and not quite a quote but to paraphrase: …“ by the way the only thing open is the Garden Villa and it is $17K additional. So sorry the price comes directly from Miami, we do not control such things and there is one other couple considering this as well.” Oh goody.

I still do not need the Garden Villa, but I guess what I had hoped for was a reasonable alternative, maybe they could have put a bit of effort into helping me out or at least made it look like they tried … perhaps bumped an AA, AB or A2 into the GV and offered me the upsell to the AA, AB or A2?

This should be the trip of a lifetime, even though I did not book this cruise until 30 days prior, I have researched these ports and dreamt about this trip for a very long time.

I understand that this is my fault, buyer beware and all that. I am the fool who booked this AC cabin, I should have done more homework. But in my defense I will say that I trusted NCL when they said I could use the balcony, I trusted the TA when they told me daily that no AA or AB’s were available. But still I am going to try and not let this ruin my vacation and most importantly my husband is quite comfortable here and wishes that I would let it go already. Just being able to write it out helps. Thanks for listening….

Oh and the best news, the horrible cigarette smell has been eliminated (for the most part anyway) by the very creative use of masking tape….it looks like crap, but it did the trick. Well done Mr. Blackenberry, thank you. This is another good tip for “what to bring” masking tape!

Did I mention how much I hate my cabin? You can say it could be worse, I could be in an inside cabin, but no that would never happen. I would not cruise without a balcony. I just would not have booked at all.

I know, I know, it is not life threatening, keep it in perspective and all that, but I cannot help but feel used and taken advantage of. NCL already had me booked. Bird in the hand and all, so I think it must have been a conscious business decision to just offer the upgrade or upsell whatever you call it, to the new folks.

Enjoy your day,

Juried

I was in the cabin directly above yours and tried to tell you about the balcony during sea days ESPECIALLY DURING A TRANSATLANTIC and nobody including yourself wanted to listen to me but still, make the best of it like we did....:p Told u so;)

Why would you say that? People are telling the OP she should have been experienced enough to know what she was getting into. And she's a CC member.

If only 1% of cruisers visit this site, where will this leave the other 99%?

I guess you would be happy getting poorer accomodations than you would expect, or, in my eyes, an incomplete balcony suite.

Not this cruiser.

Here was your original post:

I too sympathize with the OP and agree with her 100% on her situation, as I posted. However, your post took it more then a step further claiming that 1) you need to be well educated to sail NCL 2) By not being an expert you will "suffer the consequences", 3) Only "crap" rooms are available when booking late. FYI, is it a surprise to you that on any cruise line, the prime rooms are sold earliest?

As I said in the other posting, the OP has a legitimate complaint and I disagree with those that are criticizing her. But you have an agenda and decided to use the OP's problem as a way to promote it. Obvious to all who read it. Just FYI, 99% of your posts are on the Carnival board...have you ever sailed NCL? Probably not and if ever have, I'd take bets that you weren't happy, thus your little digs.

juried-

I would say that every cruise line will have its idiosyncrasies, virtues and faults. Having sailed NCL on the Jade on its maiden voyage in the Med, while I did enjoy many things about the cruise, I did not feel NCL was the best fit for myself and my husband overall in part, for the reason you stated...”I feel more like a tourist on the ship and NCL is trying every way possible to nickel and dime their own “guests".”

Be aware though, that many of the issues that you state will not go away by turning to another cruise line...it will just have a different spin put on it.

As an example, I looked into a transatlantic on Oceania for next year. After doing my homework, I decided that the lowest category that I would be comfortable with was a penthouse suite. These are smaller vessels and when the itineraries are announced, the higher-end suites go quickly with huge waitlists to go with them. The prices for this cruise line are lowest and have the best incentives(2 for 1 pricing, free air) when the itineraries are first released; the prices only rise after that and are not discounted at the end as many other cruise lines do.

The TA’s I spoke with stated there were no penthouse suites available on the sailing I was interested in and suggested I take a smaller cabin at a guaranteed price rate, etc., and waitlist for a higher cabin (with no similar guarantee of price rate depending on if and when one came available). I know myself, and know I would not be comfortable in a smaller cabin...not a good or bad thing it just “is”. I thanked the TA’s I checked with and continued my search for what I was comfortable with.

I was indeed able to locate a penthouse to book(not waitlist) on the particular transatlantic sailing I was interested in...it does not mean that the TA’s I checked with were incorrect, it was just that I was able to locate a TA that had one available as part of their “group”.

If I had not had the good fortune to find a stateroom I was comfortable with, frankly I would rather wait rather than feel like I "settled" for whatever was available.

Kathleen

Here was your original post:

I too sympathize with the OP and agree with her 100% on her situation, as I posted. However, your post took it more then a step further claiming that 1) you need to be well educated to sail NCL 2) By not being an expert you will "suffer the consequences", 3) Only "crap" rooms are available when booking late. FYI, is it a surprise to you that on any cruise line, the prime rooms are sold earliest?

As I said in the other posting, the OP has a legitimate complaint and I disagree with those that are criticizing her. But you have an agenda and decided to use the OP's problem as a way to promote it. Obvious to all who read it.

I know my original post. Not sure how you could possibly know my intent.

Now go back and read the posts of the people that were telling the OP that this is all her fault, she didn't do all her research, etc, and re-post those as well. :rolleyes:

Just FYI, 99% of your posts are on the Carnival board...have you ever sailed NCL? Probably not and if ever have, I'd take bets that you weren't happy, thus your little digs.

Wrong again. I have sailed NCL, and am going on the Dawn this summer. Point?

I know my original post. Not sure how you could possibly know my intent.

Now go back and read the posts of the people that were telling the OP that this is all her fault, she didn't do all her research, etc, and re-post those as well. :rolleyes:

Have you read MY post? Here it is:

"I have to say that I completely understand the OP's feelings and think that those that are berating her, calling her spoiled, etc. are wrong. She paid a lot of money for this cabin and lets not forget that she was ASSURED by NCL that she would be able to use the cabin while the ship was underway. She had no idea about the signs posted in the room etc. She was suspicious prior to sailing but had no way of knowing for sure except to ASK NCL. And she did. She was only made suspicious by those here on CC but who is she to believe? Random posters on an anonymous message board or NCL themselves?

Of those making fun and ridiculing her, I have to wonder how many of you would be thrilled to be in this situation...a beautiful balcony that is unusuable (and expensive) for the majority of the trip. It sucks, and you know it. "

I'm done with arguing with you. You know exactly what your intent was as do all others who read it. You could have agreed with the OP without the snarky comments. And you obviously won't answer the posed question about sailing NCL. Nothing better then a cruise line basher who's never stepped foot on a specific lines ships. Nuff said. :rolleyes:

I'm done with arguing with you. You know exactly what your intent was as do all others who read it. You could have agreed with the OP without the snarky comments. And you obviously won't answer the posed question about sailing NCL. Nothing better then a cruise line basher who's never stepped foot on a specific lines ships. Nuff said. :rolleyes:

Wrong yet again. You are batting .1000

I answered your question above (after you edited, and added the question, BTW).

And also,BTW, we all have the right to answer any post the way we see fit as long as the guidelines are followed.

Happy cruising!

• Administrators
You know, I really needed to vent and I thank you all for listening. I am not stuck in my cabin harping on “oh poor me” I certainly do not feel sorry for myself and I would not consider myself poor. (But I do work for a living) I am not in my 20’s or 30’s, (but I thank you for that) spoiled, I do not think so, but I was afraid I sounded that way too….. I am having a great cruise, meeting wonderful people, eating fantastic meals, seeing fine shows, visiting new places, I have a very attentive butler (who I have only asked for cookies from, nothing else, no meals in my room, not even room service) I, contrary to what I sound like or other opinions here, am an easy customer. I truly only expect to get what I pay for and in my opinion, this is not it. . … This truly is a dream vacation. Even though I did not book until 30 days prior, I have planned and worked for this trip for many years. I have researched these ports and when my calendar allowed it I went for it! :D

Honestly I thought my bitching was very sarcastic and comedic (topless neighbor, husbands methane, balcony doors (this was not a complaint, jeesh I was just explaining the door, it is a VERY IMPRESSIVE DOOR, masking tape, etc…) I certainly did not intend to sound weeny-whiney. I think I said about 5 times that I DO NOT WANT THE GARDEN VILLA. I thought it was ironic that they kept trying to sell it to me and the price was going down. What the hell would I do up there? I would just miss my kids.

BUT you should know that something has changed with NCL. On all past cruises (whether we had a balcony, suite or villa) I have felt like a welcome guest. But now I feel more like a tourist on the ship and NCL is trying every way possible to nickel and dime their own “guests.” I will write a thorough and honest and I hope funny and entertaining review after my cruise. I always try to. I also stated at the beginning of this thread that there are good things about the cabin but that was not why I needed to write … but since you asked: Size, Balcony, Décor, Great TV Screen, DVD Player, Espresso Machine, Comfy Bed, Wi-Fi…. And the ship itself is gorgeous and shiny, brand new. The staff is very friendly, there are MANY great things about the GEM and this trip.

It is just when I cannot breathe that I tend to panic and then I hear from so many people who upgraded, when I, a loyal and so-called “valued” Latitudes member who was supposedly “wait-listed” was never consulted. I love to cruise and I am sure other cruise lines will appreciate my patronage. And you know what … I am ready for something new. Something without expectations sounds very nice.

Enough of this, I gotta go, it is about 75, sunny, gorgeous day in Cadiz, Spain and I am going out to my huge balcony and enjoy it. ;)

Juried

You certainly sound much better in this post! I'm glad a lot of things are right with your cruise, and I hope you enjoy the rest of it.

I would advise you, as you move on to other cruiselines, to read carefully the post by Dino2067, as she makes some outstanding points in there about booking only a cabin you can live with, and not relying on "waitlists."

I would add to her thoughts that this is particularly true if the cabin you are currently in isn't an appealing one (and I think we ALL agree that a forward-facing balcony on a Transatlantic isn't a great choice of cabin, due to wind issues on the balcony). A cruiseline isn't going to be eager to move the people who finally paid for that unappealing cabin, because that forces the cruiseline to sell it all over again. It's much more profitable for the cruiseline to move the people in the easily re-sellable cabins, which is worth bearing in mind as you make bookings going forward.

Sorry you're in that predicament - We experienced the same problems of miscommunication from NCL on our last upsell. You really should be able to trust the information that is given to you. Whereas, with the boards you may not always get the precise information - we've all experienced that - I'm sure to find out it's not always the same. Although 9 times out of 10 you can take it as gospel - it's that 1 time that may creep up and bite you in the butt. What I suggest you do is make a point of the problems with your consierge - they will put it in their report which is copied to the Hotel Manager - then on to corporate. Follow up with a complaint to NCL Customer Relations when you get back.

Unfortunately, there is nothing they can do on the ship other than comiserate? with you. They weren't the ones who mislead you, NCL reservations did. Aggravating as all get out - try to enjoy the rest of your transatlantic - hopefully you'll have smooth seas for the rest of your journey.

Keep in mind that whomever got the upsell/upgrade to the AA suite may very well have a different contact than you do and possibly scooped it or was holding it for a period of time before purchasing it. Whether that be NCL or a TA who turned it in.

We have never stayed in an AC but often stay in forward facing AA's. You can clip the steel door open, borrow one of the big brown door stops the cabin stewards use and prop the the secondary door open about half way, (that door opens inward) That will create a great breeze even with the cabin/hallway door closed. That should also push any remaining smoke out from your neighbor as well. I will pass on commenting on your husbands issues.

You might also find some passengers staying in a side facing standard balcony cabin that would be happy to trade with you.

I am suprised you were not able to upsell to a garden villa before sailing. When it comes down to the wire and they are still open they usually upsell at a resonable rate. Once onboard the only way to get a deal is if you win it a bingo.

Something tells me the constant hounding of the TA and NCL before the cruise regarding an AA of AB upgrade/upsell is exactly why someone else got them instead of you.

Glad to read in your later post that you are surviving and even enjoying your cruise.

Something tells me the constant hounding of the TA and NCL before the cruise regarding an AA of AB upgrade/upsell is exactly why someone else got them instead of you.

That's a pretty rude and unfair comment. I'm quite surprised. Not that other posters were rude and unfair, but that you are. I thought better of you.

Jana

And that she expected the poor NCL rep who makes $9/hr plus bonus and has probably never seen an NCL ship live to know she wouldn't be able to her forward facing deck when the ship is speeding through the ocean at 20-24 knots is downright silly. At least her TA should have warned her. I'm sure the NCL reps she talked to have no idea, as they're used to working with people who are booking side-facing cabins...not the few premium cabins on the ship.

While I agree that the NCL reps may make little money and have never been on a ship, NCL should however have the information in the computer systems available to the reps so guests can be fully informed of any restrictions on a room, if they are able to tell guests which rooms have restricted views they should be able to list rooms that have limited use of the balcony while at sea. I also have to question why the designers would put balcony cabins in this location to begin with, seems a nice big window would have been better, that way you could have the views but not the wind.

I wasn't going to enter into this discussion, but........

Jana - the OP herself stated in her first post that the numerous inquiries by both her TA and herself were borderline "harassment" - not sure why you think Markandrews post is rude? The poster is just reiterating what the OP herself posted.

For the poster who said that only crap rooms are available near the sail date - I don't agree. In early April we booked a 7-day cruise to Bermuda on the Dawn and snagged one of the coveted AD suites on Deck 10. These are considered highly desirable suites and two of the four were still available 60 days from sailing. Your impression that only crap suites are available is flawed. On our sailing there are still AB's and AC's available.

Sorry but twice the OP states that she planned/worked for this trip for years - she appears to be a seasoned cruiser. How could you NOT KNOW that you would have limited use of a forward facing balcony while at sea? If you've even had a side balcony, you know they can be windy as well depending upon how the wind is blowing.

Do I feel badly that the OP is disappointed - yes, up to a point. There is nothing that can be done now - why should the GEM move another pax just because the OP hates her cabin (and this was mentioned in her original post)? I know that once we settle into our "home" onboard, I wouldn't want to move. We ALWAYS book a cabin that we will be thrilled with (we've never booked a GTY) - on those instances we were upsold to a higher level suite, we were equally thrilled.

That old saying "book a cabin that you'll be happy with" holds true - anyone who books a cabin and then spends their time wishing/hoping for an upsell is just wasting time and setting themselves up for disappointment if/when the upsell fairy doesn't call!

The AC cabins are not "crap" by a longshot. We got an upsell to one from an aft minisuite and jumped on it. We were able to enjoy our balcony during our entire cruise, BUT we were sailing south/north along the Mexican Riviera. That's a far cry from open ocean. I would NEVER book that cabin, or take an upsell if I wanted to use the balcony while crossing the Atlantic. And just common sense would tell me that.

We are currently on the Gem Transatlantic and I am not very happy. The ship itself is lovely, most of the staff is very friendly and the seas have calmed down after a rough few days. We loved the first 2 ports Ponta Delgada and Lisbon. Wonderful, just perfect, really.

After re-reading my post here, I am concerned that I might sound like a spoiled brat and get flamed to bits … but this is my situation and I truly believe I have every reason to be upset…

My problem is …. I hate my cabin and even though I am trying not to let it ruin my “European Adventure” it is having a most negative effect on my vacation.

So please allow me to explain my situation and vent a bit….

We have a cabin Category AC which is considered a “Penthouse” suite and is located at the very front of the ship. Now I had only booked this cruise about 30 days ago, and I took the highest category available at the time, except for the Garden Villa. We have sailed in the Garden Villa 4 times in the past (Dawn and Jewel) but since it was only the 2 of us, we had no need for 3 bedrooms. I wanted a Category AB or AA but none were available. However, when I booked I was told I would be “waitlisted” for a higher category cabin and if one should become available I would be able to upgrade, at an additional cost of course. So diligently I watched the travel websites, checking back at least twice daily to see what cabins were still being offered, only to find lower category cabins and the Garden Villa. I called NCL and my travel agent daily, almost to the point of harassment. My reason was this. I booked my suite in haste. On the NCL website the AC sounded perfect, plenty large enough for 2 people, with a huge balcony and VIP services (butler, concierge) which I enjoy. But after reading the boards, I got nervous when one poster mentioned he was in the cabin directly above mine and was unable to open the cabin door and use the balcony during the cruise. I have a touch of claustrophobia (never clinically diagnosed, but I notice that I hold my breath in elevators and have on occasion freaked out in a carwash) I absolutely need to have air and see daylight. Also why bother having a balcony if you cannot use it? Over the phone an NCL rep assured me “No madam, you can of course use your balcony during the cruise” and like a dummy I believed her.

My Cabin Number 9502 is located at the very front of the ship. I instantly read the notice on the balcony door about keeping the door closed while at sea and I got upset. The sign on the door reads All Capitol Letters on the sign: “ WARNING – DANGER STONG WINDS, OPEN AND CLOSE DOOR WITH EXTREME CARE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY, OPEN ONLY WHEN THE VESSEL IS IN PORT. TO AVOID DAMAGE KEEP THIS DOOR LOCKED AT SEA. I tell my butler no way can that be the case, he says I can open the door with caution and to be careful not to let it slam loudly and disturb the neighbors or cut my fingers off… yeah ok, thanks pal. (Note about the balcony door/s. It is not a lovely sliding glass door like a regular balcony but 2 doors, the interior is nice solid high gloss wood much like the rest of the cabin but when you open this door you are faced with a large heavy insulated metal structural door resembling something from a WWII naval movie. This door is truly hard core, weighs about a ton and not easy to open. Once open it locks in place, so that is good. There is also a 6 inch lip at the bottom that you need to step over to get onto the balcony, not a big deal unless it is dark and you forgot to step up and you fall face first … ouch, I might not have fallen if I was able to put a friggin light on, you must keep the drapes closed and the balcony dark or the light can reflect above you, no kidding, the sign reads: “Due to the bridge being above your suite, we kindly ask your cooperation in the evening (whilst at sea) by keeping the drapes closed. This is due to the light from your suite reflecting onto the bridge, minimizing night vision) No big deal here, since the door is too heavy to open, especially with winds forcing it closed, the winds are too much for me stand outside and the sign tells you not to go out there anyway… jeeesh. Truth be told, for its limited usability, the balcony is the best part of the cabin, it is about the same size as the cabin and has a 6 foot sofa, end table, 2 lounge chairs, 2 upright chairs and a trunk to stash the cushions in while at sea all made of lovely beige rattan (or faux rattan?) A lot of deck furniture for 2 people. It is very nice looking and quite comfortable. My glorious Red Sox Banner fit perfectly on the railing and a sunbathing (whilst in port) topless neighbor to boot. Also now that we are in Europe it is great to have your coffee out there in the AM, go on your excursion and return to toast the city goodbye as we cruise out, until we hit such speeds that you cannot stand out there any longer…

I am not happy with my cabin and the whole balcony situation. I beg my concierge on day one, for an option, telling her I am on the so called waiting list for AB or AA but at this point I would even downsize to an AE or a balcony just so I can keep the door open. …. She calls me back the next day and tells me only the Garden Villa is available for 26k,well on the website it said 22k … hmmm something not quite right there. But no thank you, I do not need the Garden Villa.

Now, like I said, we are located at the very front and the wind going across the Atlantic was fierce and I was unable to use my balcony. I am not a stupid woman, true I did have an inkling that facing the ocean would limit my usage … but not make the balcony entirely useless. I thought perhaps some imaginative engineer had designed these cabins to allow accessible balconies while at sea? IE: I do not know how electricity works, but I do know how to use it, nuff said.

Cabin: There are some good things about this cabin … it is just not what this thread is about. I will go into detail with my review, after the cruise.

My cabin is next to the corner cabin category AA, it has a connecting door in case someone wants to rent both, anyway these AA neighbors (the non-topless ones) smoke and we do not, however we could smell the smoke all night and it was just gross. I complained to my room steward but what can you do? Perhaps this is just a design flaw? All I know is my husband drinks Guinness and this particular dark demon magically turns from a liquid to a gas, if you get my meaning (another reason why fresh air is so vital) and perhaps my smoking neighbors were getting a bit of his methane…? One likes to think so anyway, also after chatting with these neighbors, we’re told that they were supposed to be in a category AC (same as me) but upgraded 2 weeks prior to the AA. (unreal, there were NONE available, remember?) I cannot get fresh air into my cabin, so I am in hell. (I did figure a way to not quite close the outer door and then close the inner door, giving me a constant tiny stream of “whistling” fresh sea air, annoying, but at least I can breath)

I hate this cabin.

To top it off we met this lovely couple from San Diego at the Meet and Great. Very nice folks who jumped on the boards at the last minute and they booked their very first NCL cruise just 2 days prior to sailing date. Good for them. I am a last minute type of person myself, the irony being, when they called to book, they were upgraded to a Category AA for only $1600 additional. Good for them! Great for them, really, I mean it! I love when someone gets a great deal. But this has sent me over the edge. I am a silver Latitudes member, what does that mean…? Nothing, absolutely nothing at all, it is all BS. I was on no wait list, they blew me off every day, I have spent over 150k on NCL cruises and sadly this will be my very last cruise on NCL. I feel tricked and lied to. I am actually deeply hurt. I was a true NCL cheerleader, expounding the virtues of Freestyle throughout these boards and various other message boards, blogs and while vacationing elsewhere or RV’ing across the USA. After I told my husband about this “couple in the AA that JUST booked” my DH tried calling the Hotel Director and first had to explain the situation about requesting an upgrade to 2 fledglings and then had to make an appointment to see him later that day. And so he did meet with the Hotel Director and my DH told him how unhappy his wife is (sorry dear) how she called and checked the website daily, touch of claustrophobia, smell of smoke and unfairness of not being offered an upgrade (let me explain this correctly, we would never expect a free upgrade we are very willing to pay) while others new to NCL were offered such upgrades and most importantly our history with NCL, our cruises are very expensive to be sure, but our onboard expenses are enormous (bar bill, excursions, shopping, tipping). And to his credit Mr. Julian Blackenberry gave my husband about 10 minutes of his highly valued time, he had other guests waiting after all ... and not quite a quote but to paraphrase: …“ by the way the only thing open is the Garden Villa and it is $17K additional. So sorry the price comes directly from Miami, we do not control such things and there is one other couple considering this as well.” Oh goody.

I still do not need the Garden Villa, but I guess what I had hoped for was a reasonable alternative, maybe they could have put a bit of effort into helping me out or at least made it look like they tried … perhaps bumped an AA, AB or A2 into the GV and offered me the upsell to the AA, AB or A2?

This should be the trip of a lifetime, even though I did not book this cruise until 30 days prior, I have researched these ports and dreamt about this trip for a very long time.

I understand that this is my fault, buyer beware and all that. I am the fool who booked this AC cabin, I should have done more homework. But in my defense I will say that I trusted NCL when they said I could use the balcony, I trusted the TA when they told me daily that no AA or AB’s were available. But still I am going to try and not let this ruin my vacation and most importantly my husband is quite comfortable here and wishes that I would let it go already. Just being able to write it out helps. Thanks for listening….

Oh and the best news, the horrible cigarette smell has been eliminated (for the most part anyway) by the very creative use of masking tape….it looks like crap, but it did the trick. Well done Mr. Blackenberry, thank you. This is another good tip for “what to bring” masking tape!

Did I mention how much I hate my cabin? You can say it could be worse, I could be in an inside cabin, but no that would never happen. I would not cruise without a balcony. I just would not have booked at all.

I know, I know, it is not life threatening, keep it in perspective and all that, but I cannot help but feel used and taken advantage of. NCL already had me booked. Bird in the hand and all, so I think it must have been a conscious business decision to just offer the upgrade or upsell whatever you call it, to the new folks.

Enjoy your day,

Juried

You should be glad the balcony has double doors particularly when crossing the Atlantic Ocean. if you should experience white water over the top of the cabin as can easily happen in even a small Atlantic storm, you will be glad the protection was there. If you had done more reading about balconies on transatlantic crossings you would have learned that basically they are worthless because it is cold nasty and windy more days than not.

So head down to the public rooms, meet some of your fellow passengers and enjoy the crossing.

My camera did not survive the salty onslaught, so took another photo of Cape Horn from the side with my digital....this is what you probably missed....

Ha ha ha ha ha! Well, at least I got to see the beacon from the light on the Cape. We sailed past her at 9 p.m. in the pitch blackness!

Thanks for the photo!! ha ha ha!

That's a pretty rude and unfair comment. I'm quite surprised. Not that other posters were rude and unfair, but that you are. I thought better of you.

Jana

I not only do not see it as necessarily unfair, but I would wager good money that he is not the only person who thought this, and without re reading the whole thread, I don't think he was the only person to say it here either. People on the receiving end of the flood of phone calls may be reading here and smiling for all we know.

Archived