Unhappy on the Gem Transatlantic now ...

juried

Just a quick reply to my post.

I am sorry I do not have enough Internet minutes to read all the post, Internet is very slow on the ship, but I quickly scanned them ….

I thank you all for listening and especially for your positive remarks… ;)

We have just returned from a fabulous excursion to Nerja, Spain. And as one responder thought it might, the ship has slowed down considerably since we have entered the Mediterranean Sea and thankfully I can breathe again and enjoy soft, warm breezes across my HUGE balcony.

My life is good (as it usually is) and all is well. :)

Thanks again,

Enjoy your day,

Juried

Very happy to read that you are enjoying yourself. Nerja is a beautiful town; we spent a week there about a decade ago and absolutely loved the Balcon de Europa (the promenade leading to the cliff restaurant).

Wonderful memories.

Happy cruising.

Kathy:)

Seems to me that anyone who has been on a cruise ship should know that there are strong winds at the front of the ship. If the ship is moving at 20 knots even if there's no wind, there's effectively a 20 knot wind coming in your face. And in the middle of the Atlantic, where weather can be fierce, it's likely going to be worse than, say, in the Caribbean.

We just came off the Gem on April 19. Never encountered any of these problems. I don't understand why anyone would pay those prices for a room like that. We had a wonderful time and were not in the room very much so a room that expensive would have been a waste for us. We were in 4537, yes deck 4! inside!! OMG and we had a great time on our cruise. Guess I could have found a more productive way to spend 14k.

Juried

I feel for the pain you are feeling during your european cruise. Unless someone has walked in your shoes, they can't comment. I too have suffered in a cabin. I once stubbed my toe while stepping over the extension cord I draped across the floor of my inside guarantee:D

Juried

I feel for the pain you are feeling during your european cruise. Unless someone has walked in your shoes, they can't comment. I too have suffered in a cabin. I once stubbed my toe while stepping over the extension cord I draped across the floor of my inside guarantee:D

Oh please let me suffer in an AC penthouse next cruise.

Just a quick reply to my post.

I am sorry I do not have enough Internet minutes to read all the post, Internet is very slow on the ship, but I quickly scanned them ….

I thank you all for listening and especially for your positive remarks… ;)

We have just returned from a fabulous excursion to Nerja, Spain. And as one responder thought it might, the ship has slowed down considerably since we have entered the Mediterranean Sea and thankfully I can breathe again and enjoy soft, warm breezes across my HUGE balcony.

My life is good (as it usually is) and all is well. :)

Thanks again,

Enjoy your day,

Juried

Be sure to take pictures of that HUGE balcony to share with all of us who will never experience such luxury.

Thanks for the update. Please continue to post. This has been a good read, and a great learning experience for most of us who can be happy to simply be on a cruise; even in an inside cabin, if necessary.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. It sounds wonderful!

I think an awful lot of you are being pretty tough on Juried - so you only sail in an inside cabin, so what? who cares? Im sure you would all care an awful lot if you saved up and paid for a balcony and then found out you couldnt use the damn thing, after being assured by NCL that you could. Just because she can afford to sail in whatever suite she happens to be in doesnt mean she deserves to be ridiculed, if she is unhappy that she cant use part of her cabin that she has paid for then she has a right to be upset, just like if you couldnt use part of your inside cabin that you had paid for, what then? be told to shut up and be grateful that your on a cruise in the first place?

Some of you people on this board are pretty funny at times, and some of you can be just downright mean. If I was a new poster on this forum Im sure I would be put off, and Lord help anyone who dares critise NCL or vent about an aspect of their trip they are not happy with especially if they are in anything higher than an Ocean view room.

It seems like tearing people to shreds is some kind of sport in the NCL forum.

I think an awful lot of you are being pretty tough on Juried - so you only sail in an inside cabin, so what? who cares? Im sure you would all care an awful lot if you saved up and paid for a balcony and then found out you couldnt use the damn thing, after being assured by NCL that you could. Just because she can afford to sail in whatever suite she happens to be in doesnt mean she deserves to be ridiculed, if she is unhappy that she cant use part of her cabin that she has paid for then she has a right to be upset, just like if you couldnt use part of your inside cabin that you had paid for, what then? be told to shut up and be grateful that your on a cruise in the first place?

Some of you people on this board are pretty funny at times, and some of you can be just downright mean. If I was a new poster on this forum Im sure I would be put off, and Lord help anyone who dares critise NCL or vent about an aspect of their trip they are not happy with especially if they are in anything higher than an Ocean view room.

No, if I were reading this for the first time, your post would put me off and scare me a lot more. This type of accusatory post is exactly what causes a thread to go from fun to .........oblivion, usually.

As most of the responses reflect, this has been a fun thread, with a great deal of humor inserted here and there.

We are all intelligent enough to understand the discomfort level of the OP. Your described treatment from the posters is not apparent to me. My rose colored glasses must be working just fine.

The OP has explained her original post, and has now added a couple of updates stating that she is having a good time.

Fun? you think some of the nasty replies on the first page alone were fun? what a twisted sense of humor you must have ;)

If I was considering an NCL cruise and came here for the first time and opened up this thread and saw some of the responses to the OP then it would put me off posting here and probably put me off NCL. Yes, some of the posts are funny - which I why I said some of you guys are funny, but some are just mean, not sure what is accusatory about that?

Anyways, I really cant be bothered getting into a tit for tat with you, I just think that intentional unpleasantness isnt necessary.

The first rule of booking a cabin on a cruise ship> NEVER BOOK A CABIN YOU WOULD NOT BE HAPPY WITH! Even a suite. Upsells and upgrades are not guaranteed.

And your advice to someone who has never set foot on a particular class ship. A novice? A noobie?

And your advice to someone who has never set foot on a particular class ship. A novice? A noobie?

Read reviews about the particular ship you wish to sail on to help decide if you would like a cabin or not.

On just about every forum and every page at CC, you'll read about the wonders of having an aft facing balcony. Amongst the reasons always stated will be far less wind.

While front facing balcony cabins aren't discuss on every page, there's plenty of reports about them being very windy, and can't be used at night, specifically because of the stray light issue with bridge watchstanders.

The TA or CSA are more worried about selling you a cabin than warning customers the disadvantages of booking a forward facing balcony cabin. Even so, a good TA and CSA will.

It's like the recent story from Turkey, where the husband picked up an abandoned bag at the airport. His wife told him to leave it alone. That info went in one ear and out the other without comprehension. The same often goes on here. It's not like similar warnings haven't been posted here often in the past.

Fun? you think some of the nasty replies on the first page alone were fun? what a twisted sense of humor you must have ;)

If I was considering an NCL cruise and came here for the first time and opened up this thread and saw some of the responses to the OP then it would put me off posting here and probably put me off NCL. Yes, some of the posts are funny - which I why I said some of you guys are funny, but some are just mean, not sure what is accusatory about that?

Anyways, I really cant be bothered getting into a tit for tat with you, I just think that intentional unpleasantness isnt necessary.

No tit for tat necessary. No offense intended:confused:

Yes, I do have a rather twisted sense of humor, and am very grateful for such.:)

This is a 15 day cruise! I wish I had the vacation time from work and money to afford a cruise like this. Most of our cruises have been 4 nights because of the cost and time involved. We never felt a need for a butler or concierge or butler. I would trade places with you in a minute. This goes to prove that some people are never happy. You aren't going to get much sympathy at least out of me.... Maybe you should book further ahead of time if you are so demanding about your accomodations.

I could understand if the ship lost power and you are stuck out in Atlantic somewhere. You are on a fully functioning ship and you are miserable. Again, very hard to be sympathetic.

Be sure to take pictures of that HUGE balcony to share with all of us who will never experience such luxury.

Thanks for the update. Please continue to post. This has been a good read, and a great learning experience for most of us who can be happy to simply be on a cruise; even in an inside cabin, if necessary.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. It sounds wonderful!

I could not of said it better myself.... Amazing that vacation time was used to post her negativity also.

I agree. We are cruising for the first time on NCL, and I felt all the feelings you stated. There are many fabulous people on here and some hysterical posts, but enough of the other kinds too.

In Feb 2006, we cruised the Star to the Mexican Riveria in the AC and loved it. We loved having the wind blow our hair, having breakfast on the balcony, sitting there for sail aways. Loved having the butler serve us dinner. We also were on one of the cruises when the Star was having azipod problems. Did it cost us much, you bet. But we were going to make the best of a cruise, a vacation away from problems, away from the snow and bitter cold. Would we do it again, you bet! Sorry you don't think all people have a right to their views and opinions. Enjoy your complaining about others and their opinions.

You are doing the same thing tearing people to shreds because you don't agree with their opinions. See my Signature.

This isnt about opinions, at no point in my post did I say that people were not entitled to an opinion. Its about people being horrible to someone just for the sake of it; a concept that doesnt sit right with me, but maybe you condone that type of behaviour :confused:

This isnt about opinions, at no point in my post did I say that people were not entitled to an opinion. Its about people being horrible to someone just for the sake of it; a concept that doesnt sit right with me, but maybe you condone that type of behaviour :confused:

When it is called for...yep!:rolleyes:

Gixer . . . . you are almost right in your assertion. But it doesn't seem that way. In a few cases it is absolutely a case of it being sport. Nasty little sport at that.

Its about people being horrible to someone just for the sake of it; a concept that doesnt sit right with me, but maybe you condone that type of behaviour
Unfortunately, you are correct a few on the boards do condone that type of behavior. I vote with you, it is unacceptable.

The OP got assurance from NCL that the balcony was usable during the cruise. In fact, it is usable during PART of the cruise only. The OP, a long time customer of NCL, requested a change, only to find out that other cruisers were receiving changes of cabin, but she wasn't. To me it sounds like NCL was FAR too worried about not being able to re-sell her cabin, and not nearly worried enough about satisfying a customer.

Many comments from posters have been along the lines of (paraphrasing) "Well you can afford better than I'll ever afford so quit complaining" and "You get more vacation time than I do so quit complaining". I'm quite taken aback by some of the responses the OP has received. Much of it is inappropriate, some of it is downright rude.

Whether she is in an inside cabin or the best cabin on the ship, NCL's customer service seems to be lacking.

The OP got assurance from NCL that the balcony was usable during the cruise. In fact, it is usable during PART of the cruise only. The OP, a long time customer of NCL, requested a change, only to find out that other cruisers were receiving changes of cabin, but she wasn't. To me it sounds like NCL was FAR too worried about not being able to re-sell her cabin, and not nearly worried enough about satisfying a customer.

Many comments from posters have been along the lines of (paraphrasing) "Well you can afford better than I'll ever afford so quit complaining" and "You get more vacation time than I do so quit complaining". I'm quite taken aback by some of the responses the OP has received. Much of it is inappropriate, some of it is downright rude.

Whether she is in an inside cabin or the best cabin on the ship, NCL's customer service seems to be lacking.

I read all the most of cruiselines boards here on CC. Every board will have threads talking about the phone reps giving bad information-X, Princess, HAL, RCCL..you name it. I've read, "If you don't like the answer, hang up and call again and you'll get another" on EVERY MASS MARKET CRUISELINE BOARD.

I'm not defending bad info. What I am saying is, if you think NCL is alone in CSR's not knowing what the conditions of every cabin are on every ship that's simply not true.

What I am saying is, if you think NCL is alone in CSR's not knowing what the conditions of every cabin are on every ship that's simply not true.

chrisbd1,

Couldn't agree more. If I had to pick one segment of the cruise industry that could use a total overhaul, it would have to be Customer Service.

Archived